beginners bike?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I respectfully disagree. I bought a 2007 FZ6 in May. Its the first street bike I ever rode. I ride it pretty much every day, have already put 2000 miles on it, and have had no problems whatsoever. I did take the Motorcycle Safety class and it was extremely valuable. Basically though as long as you've had some training and you're a mature rider you'll be OK. I'm 6'2 and about 220 and the bike fits me perfectly. Being able to flat foot it easily makes a big difference I'm sure. A 250 would have been a huge mistake for me. I love my FZ6.

Awesome that FZ6 is working out well for you and at 6'2" and 220 you would definitely look a bit comical on a Ninja250, however, you have to realize that your case is not the norm. For most people, FZ6 is MUCH too much bike to start on.
Please don't try to convince someone who's never been on a motorcycle before, that FZ6 is a great bike to start on (unless you really know the person).
Here is how I see it:

attachment.php

I started on a 50cc bike when I was 13 and then quickly went to a 350cc (slow peace of crap though). After a long time off the bike I came back to riding and started on a Ninja 250 and I'm very glad I did.
I'm one of those people who lack maturity, you see :rof:
I'm on FZ1 now and I STILL lack maturity (at 38), but at least I progressed to my bike slowly. I *think* I would have gotten myself into quite a bit of trouble if I had started on FZ6 (and some people start on FZ1 :eek: ).

Is it necessary to drop first bike? No. Is it possible to start on FZ6 (or something bigger) and not kill yourself? Absolutely. Does this mean that FZ6 (or something bigger) is a good first bike for everyone? Heck no!

There's also a difference between dreaming about a certain bike and deciding which bike you should start on. Totally acceptable to dream about FZ6 before taking MSF or ever riding. Deciding that FZ6 is the right first bike, in the same situation, is unwise.

strongmaterial

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been riding since I was 13, riding dirt bikes. Had a very long lay-off after I turned 21 and started to ride again at 43, 2 years ago. When I started riding again, I bought a Honda CBR250R as I mainly use the bike to commute to and from work. It was a 20 mile commute back and forth and no highway so I never needed too more than the 250cc engine. It was so easy to ride that I never even thought of replacing it.

Now that I moved farther away from work and with interstate riding, I had to give up my 250 for the FZ6.

I guess what I am saying is you have to decide what kind of riding you will be doing and be mature enough to handle it. Anything that is not a Race Replica bike would be ok as long as you are matured enough to handle it.

Just remember that when you choose a bike, you should choose it based on your maturity, fit and riding style.:welcome:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess what I am saying is you have to decide what kind of riding you will be doing and be mature enough to handle it. Anything that is not a Race Replica bike would be ok as long as you are matured enough to handle it.

Maturity is a big part of the equation, but so is actual ability. For a mature nOOb with average natural ability, FZ6 can still be way too much to learn on.

Jmnielsen

Reaction score
Visit site
I started on a 250 and am very happy I did. I'm 6'2" and 235 and yeah, I probably looked goofy but that's not what matters and if that is what you care about you won't listen to this anyways. I moved up the fz6 after 5000 miles on my 250, many miles on a Vulcan 900, among many other bikes and I still caught myself having some very close calls due to rookie mistakes on a very fast and powerful bike.

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
I am 6'3". At 250 lbs, I rode my XT225 all over the place, and my sister-in-law's Ninja 250. The XT225 had enough power for the gravel roads and 55 MPH highways, and the Ninja 250 had easily enough for me on the interstate. And I didn't feel like I looked ridiculous, I felt like I was having a blast.

I don't often offer opinions on first bikes, and I am not saying the FZ6 is a bad first choice or a good first choice. But I would like to point out that, IMHO, you don't look silly on a 250, and a 250 is fine for most of us. Heck, I am still thinking about getting a Ninja 250 or (more likely) the new Honda CBR250R. I don't know why, but I like the smaller bikes.

All I'm trying to say is don't discount the 250s as a "town-only, nothing over 35 MPH" bike. For a guy like me who rides like a grandma, a 250 is a lot of fun.

FWIW, I shift my FZ6 at such a low RPM that I doubt its making much more power than a Ninja 250 anyways :) Somewhat of a joke, just to stop the "don't lug the motor" discussion.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Another note: If you're concerned about wasting money by getting a 250 and then getting a bigger bike a few months later... I bought my 2003 Ninja 250 with 5,800 miles on it in May of 2011 for $1,900. I sold it in February of 2012 with 13,xxx miles on it for $1,750. So I essentially spent $150 to get 8,000 miles of experience on the smaller bike. I still miss the incredible handling and flickability of the 250, and have considered getting another one just to mess around with. Such an awesome bike.

When I test drove the FZ6 in February before selling the 250, the power actually scared me away from it and I considered getting an SV650 or Ninja 650R. Had I tried to ride it without having the previous experience, I'm sure I would have accidentally opened the throttle too much and ate ****.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Heck, I am still thinking about getting a Ninja 250 or (more likely) the new Honda CBR250R. I don't know why, but I like the smaller bikes.

Check out the new Ninja 300!! FI, slipper clutch, 39hp, available ABS.. LOVE it! :thumbup:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I dunno man. I've never really bought into the 250 for a first bike. Anything up to ~65hp is pretty much universally great for beginners. Unless the person is small and the 250 fits well then yes or if the person is useless then yes they should be on a 250 so they don't immediately run into poles.

250's are slowww.

Rode an SV650 a little while back. It is a VERY forgiving bike. Beyond that sure I can see how your chart would apply.

The new 300 is epic though as I said before.

But other great options are the dual sports. As my second bike (after the FZ6 actually) I got a 650GS and was THRILLED with it. And it only had 33hp. It was tons of fun banging through gears snapping on the throttle in corners.

Trying to figure out how to make a slow bike fast will help you make fast bikes go omfgwtfholygoodgod fast later on.

Haha trust me. The potential for thrills and speeds on motorcycles.....is something else. haha Don't sell yourself short and delay experiencing that by a couple years because you started big. But too small is too small too.

My top pick is the SV, the 300, or any dual sports with 30-65HP

philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
For a woman - a Ninja 250 or Rebel 250 is an excellent choice. This isn't meant to be sexist, but the light weight of both these bikes make them much easier for the average woman to handle.

For a guy - a Ninja 500 or GS500F. Both bikes have more than enough oomph for the highway, yet they have a very easy clutch/throttle and not an excessive amount of power. An excellent choice for a person who doesn't want to go too small or too big.

Just my .02

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
Check out the new Ninja 300!! FI, slipper clutch, 39hp, available ABS.. LOVE it! :thumbup:

OK, so I saw the earlier mention of the Ninja 300 and thought "Must be in another country or something." Then Erci mentions it, and I figure I should check it. My only thought ... how did I not see this before?!?

I subscribe to Cycle World, Sport Rider, and Motorcyclist (kids selling magazine in the neighborhood, felt like I had to buy something from everyone). I feel so cheated that I missed this! As others have said, it does look very sweet. Finally, a Ninja with FI. A little more oomph for larger gents like me. ABS!

Anyway, to stay on topic with this thread, my point is I would not hesitate to get a Ninja 300 as my first bike. If I could go back in time.

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
This isn't meant to be sexist, but the light weight of both these bikes make them much easier for the average woman to handle.Just my .02

+1

For an experienced rider, the extra weight isn't a big deal.

But new riders are wobbly and end up having to hold the bike up often because it isn't fully balanced. For a woman, unless you're a lumberjack or a body builder or whatever, the lighter the bike, the better.

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 2 2008 Honda CBR125R's for just this purpose, basic bulletproof bike.
And for under $2000ea a pretty afordable bike to learn on, but not something you wouldn't want to use on the highway.
Though I can get 70MPH (110KPH) on it (im 6'1" 230lbs) 130Kpm with the wind going down hill.
I have taught my wife to ride on them. They are good to learn how to brake, shift gears, clutch ect..
Once the wife passed her MC licence test, I started looking for a bigger bike for her and got the FZ6. (a perfect girls bike IMO..:BLAA:)

I guess what I wanted to convey is that the little 125's are pretty good for the price and for what they are intended for, 250's are a bit more money and would be an awesome bike to learn on too.

FWIW as a new rider my wife could not insure the FZ6, due to all of the claims made by new riders who wreck theirs in the first few years..(there are a few wrecked ones on Kijiji here now too)
IE as far as the insurance companies (here) are concerned the FZ6 is NOT a learners bike..
I would have to agree with their assesments, way too big, way too much power, way too much ability to get yourself into trouble. (as a very first bike anyway)

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, so I saw the earlier mention of the Ninja 300 and thought "Must be in another country or something." Then Erci mentions it, and I figure I should check it. My only thought ... how did I not see this before?!?

I subscribe to Cycle World, Sport Rider, and Motorcyclist (kids selling magazine in the neighborhood, felt like I had to buy something from everyone). I feel so cheated that I missed this! As others have said, it does look very sweet. Finally, a Ninja with FI. A little more oomph for larger gents like me. ABS!

Anyway, to stay on topic with this thread, my point is I would not hesitate to get a Ninja 300 as my first bike. If I could go back in time.

And don't forget slipper clutch to utilize safely the extreme engine braking that a 300cc engine makes possible.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
ninja 250R, ninja 500r, ninja 650r, Fz6R, Fz6, Suzuki sv650 in order of newbieness and user friendly

these are the usual suspects here.

my opinion differs from others on the forum. here's the sweaterdude flowchart:

Have you ridden on the dirt before ever:

No: get a 250 or a dualsport under 600cc

Yes: if you have logged over 100-200hrs on dirt on a 250cc or larger machine, anything under 600-700cc will be fine, you can probably handle it (especially if you used to race MX/Enduro/Hare scrambles)

and here are my things to consider when looking at a first bike, in order of importance:

-weight (as a beginner you dont want a heavy bike to maneuver)
-power (too little is just as dangerous as too much)
-price (no sense in paying a lot for something you're, statistically speaking, probably going to put down, and you should have enough $$$ left to at least by a good helmet, jacket, and gloves)
-looks, 2 things here (1. it should appeal to you, you should be proud of your machine. 2. fairings are good, they take the rash if you lay it over or go down and there is less likely to be major damage)

aside from that, go to a big empty parking lot (church/school) and practice low speed maneuvers, driving over a curb, hard braking, parking, clutch control, figure 8s inside a 3-4 parking spot zone (3> or 4#) and if you can take a friend who knows how to ride to ad an element of surprise by doing commands. THIS WILL HELP A LOT!!!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
these are the usual suspects here.

my opinion differs from others on the forum. here's the sweaterdude flowchart:

Have you ridden on the dirt before ever:

No: get a 250 or a dualsport under 600cc

Yes: if you have logged over 100-200hrs on dirt on a 250cc or larger machine, anything under 600-700cc will be fine, you can probably handle it (especially if you used to race MX/Enduro/Hare scrambles)

and here are my things to consider when looking at a first bike, in order of importance:

-weight (as a beginner you dont want a heavy bike to maneuver)
-power (too little is just as dangerous as too much)
-price (no sense in paying a lot for something you're, statistically speaking, probably going to put down, and you should have enough $$$ left to at least by a good helmet, jacket, and gloves)
-looks, 2 things here (1. it should appeal to you, you should be proud of your machine. 2. fairings are good, they take the rash if you lay it over or go down and there is less likely to be major damage)

aside from that, go to a big empty parking lot (church/school) and practice low speed maneuvers, driving over a curb, hard braking, parking, clutch control, figure 8s inside a 3-4 parking spot zone (3> or 4#) and if you can take a friend who knows how to ride to ad an element of surprise by doing commands. THIS WILL HELP A LOT!!!

I agree with you.
Going from zero to FZ6....probably not a good idea. Thankfully, I had 7 years on dirt (97 yz250), 3 of those I did local MX races. I feel those skills carried over into street riding and have probably saved my life more than a few times.

FazrDan

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't get a 250 because I rode several during the Motorcycle Safety course and they were very uncomfortable for me at 6'2". I know several have posted on here that they are taller than that and felt fine on a 250 but it wasn't even close for me. Perhaps its age..also I didn't want to get a temporary bike.

I wanted at least a 500 and an upright seating position. Saw an FZ6 on Craigslist for a great price and got it. Some people post like the thing is a F15 Fighter Jet. Obviously you don't want to open the throttle all the way up and drop the clutch but It ain't rocket science. If you want to get a 600, get a 600. Don't feel like you have to get a 250 if its your first bike. If you're not careful and you're horsing around you can kill yourself on a 250 just the same. If you doubt your abilities and lack maturity then perhaps you shouldn't get a bike at all.

I also don't buy into the idea that every noob will drop their bike. I haven't come close and don't plan to drop my bike. Some people will, some people won't.

Regardless of the bike I think the key is to not out-ride your abilities. For example the sharp curves don't come natural to me yet so I go through them very slow and practice what I learned in MSF course. Take it slow and easy, be smart, assume that every idiot is going to pull out in front of you, and you'll be fine.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Work on getting your M endorsement first rather than worrying about which bike to get.

I have observed some riders who just could not grasp the concept of the throttle, It's like they only had an on off switch. I tried to explain to treat the throttle like a volume control. Sure enough, during a cornering excercise (RE13), he took off fast and entered the first turn and had a Spectucular Lowside, don't matter what type of bike it is, it all sounds the same when they hit the pavement. Needless to say, motorcycling was not cut out for him. Everyone who was qued behind him said Ohhhhh! I hate filling out those incident reports. Lots of paperwork.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
i think a big thing to remember is that everybody is differnt, some people are very conservative in their riding, quick learners and can pretty much start on anything, then there are people who get on a bike even a 250 and think they are superman and crash their 1st time out. Only you know what you can and cant do, your maturity, and self control. Personaly i do not think that the fz6 is a good bike to start on, primarly because of the throttle response and its potential power. Someone who might not have alot of self control might be tempted to crack the throttle open too much at the wrong time and a bike with almost 100hp can be very dangerous.
I call it the "panic effect" new rider gets powerful bike gets a few miles under his/her belt and gets "confident" and wants to go wide open for the first time to see what it can do, new rider doesnt realize just how quick bike accels and feels like they are about to slide off bike, or flip over so they get a death grip, death grip in turn locks the throttle in wide open and in most cases ends badly, just look at youtube there are tons of videos like that. since the fz6 does have a very snatchy throttle this could happen very easily to a new rider.
then again some people with a good bit of self control can start on powerful bikes just fine. Im not a big fan on any of the 250 bikes, yes they can teach you alot and look sporty but they just dont "do it" for me. My 1st bike was a vstar 650, yes it was a 650 but they are fairly weak yet torqy enough to still acel pretty decent up to about 60-70mph. I like the idea of small cruisers for beginer bikes, for one most 650 vtwins dont have alot of power yet still more than any 250. And being a crusier its fairly easy to ride and learn the basics on with out thinking your on a super sport and riding as such. They can be fairly heavy though so they might not be the best starter bike for a female, but for most average guys IMHO they are great.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I started with a Ninja 250 - great bike. On a lower power bike most folks learn and develop better handling skills. On a powerful bike it is easy to "catch up" on the straights where smaller bikes learn to carry more corner speed by necessity. Also on a fast bike the corner entry can get real difficult when the rider realizes they have too much speed, fixate on the edge of the road and . . . watch youtube videos by r nikey mouse for great examples of how not to do it.

Ninja 300looks like a great bike, more power fuel injection. A 500cc version with similar hp/liter would be a great bike.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
......then again some people with a good bit of self control can start on powerful bikes just fine. Im not a big fan on any of the 250 bikes, yes they can teach you alot and look sporty but they just dont "do it" for me. My 1st bike was a vstar 650, yes it was a 650 but they are fairly weak yet torqy enough to still acel pretty decent up to about 60-70mph. I like the idea of small cruisers for beginer bikes, for one most 650 vtwins dont have alot of power yet still more than any 250. And being a crusier its fairly easy to ride and learn the basics on with out thinking your on a super sport and riding as such. They can be fairly heavy though so they might not be the best starter bike for a female, but for most average guys IMHO they are great.

i would favor cruisers as first bikes but theyre heavy. even the Vstar650 is like 550lbs. i have always flt that due to their weight they just aren't as user friendly to somebody just trying to get sime miles in the saddle. Another cruiser worth a look would be the Honda Magna 750, people seem to sell them cheap and the V4 engine is a tractor and indestructible. Ill also say that the 250's never did much for me either, since my dirt bikes have more spank to them than a CBR250 or a ninja250, but the new Ninja300 looks promising with 42hp (thats 60% more than the 250) and i believe its right about the same weight.