bd43's 07 Headlight Mod Part 2

P

Perfj

Commend for Danish riders:

You can purchase the H4 sockets from T Hansen.
However the Ford terminals are not easy to find. So if you want to make a nice installation, you might have to get the terminal from from a car scrapyard. Or you could of course hook on directly to the green wire. ( Sorry bd43)

PerF/ DK

stealthyman

Reaction score
Visit site
When I did this mod to my 09, I found it easier to use a Radio Shack 2 Pin Molex style connector instead of trying to fabricate a pin for the existing connector. I cut the green wire at the connector, soldered it to one molex pin and soldered the new wire to another molex pin, pushed the pins into the connector, and I was done.

RS part number is 274-222

Single pin automotive male/female crimp type connectors will work as well.

I feel safer riding now, knowing that both low beams are lit.

FZ6Ray

Reaction score
www.beyondaudiosystems.com
Great info. I'm going to get what I need and do this mod. Pics are Awesome. I'm a neat freak, so I was wondering if you remember what size of "flexo" you used so I can make sure I get the right size. Thanks Again!

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
I searched around and couldn't find a specific answer to this question:

Is this mod possible with aftermarket bulbs, like the Sylvania Silverstars? I assume it is, but I'm asking to make sure.

It's the H4 bulb that only burns when you turn on the brights, correct? Then the mod makes the low filament turn on until the high filament is turned on, if I'm understanding correctly. The H7 bulb is just always on because it's a low beam, and doesn't have a high filament; am I getting this right?

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is this mod possible with aftermarket bulbs, like the Sylvania Silverstars? I assume it is, but I'm asking to make sure.

The Sylvania Silverstars are just a brand of H4 bulbs. Nothing special about them except I find they don't seem to last more than a year in my vehicle. The mod should work with it.

It's the H4 bulb that only burns when you turn on the brights, correct? Then the mod makes the low filament turn on until the high filament is turned on, if I'm understanding correctly. The H7 bulb is just always on because it's a low beam, and doesn't have a high filament; am I getting this right?

That is all correct. I think you've got it! ;):D

FZ6Ray

Reaction score
www.beyondaudiosystems.com
Got bd43's cable today. I woull be doing the mod next weekend. The cable looks awesome. Very prefessionally build. Thanks bd for your work and instructions. I can't wait to get this mod done. I would have done it today, but then I realized all my tools were at work. So I went riding instead.

firecat

Reaction score
Visit site
HELP!

Well I have made the harness thanks to bd43's great instructions, I have pulled apart my bike, found the connector, opened it and found there are no spare (vacant) slots!! Help! The bike is an 08 Fazer FZ6 S2! It had to happen to me!! anyone got any ideas (helpful ones!). I will post a pic of my connector and wiring in it but a spare slot there is not! Cannot see a way around this one! I am no electrician but hope someone can shed some light on the matter!!

Cheers Trev

firecat

Reaction score
Visit site
Panic over! Had a beer and as if by magic there was the spare slot! My "mate" had been helping me do this mod and whilst I went to make a brew he fitted my harness assembled it and did not tell me! What a bar steward!! Need to put it all back together when I am over the shock! What a trick to play!! :spank:Cheers

uglyguitar

Reaction score
Visit site
I had gotten bd43's harness awhile ago, but was waiting for an almost empty tank of gas before I did the work. I got around to it this weekend. Very easy to do, I found another website: Yamaha FZ6 Fazer S2 dual headlight mod (have both headlights on) | David Hurst. It walked through step by step, and was a great help. My only snag came at putting the top of the airbox down, it took me several times wiggling it to get it to set flush on the bottom half. Overall everything took about an hour and a half or so. Worked great!

firecat

Reaction score
Visit site
Good for you!

I had no problems reassembling went together like a dream!

I am so pleased with the result.

Great mod bd43! The fabricated connector fitted like a glove, excellent mod. Thank you so much for posting, your write up made the difference (to me at least) between doing it and not doing it. Cheers bd43 I owe you a drink!

Cheers :rockon:Trev

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

arkay

Reaction score
Visit site
Great mod that I'll be doing myself!

Just as an aside, I was told, rightly or wrongly that all bikes with twin headlights only have one functionally wired up dipped beam because of EU laws and it only applies to bikes manufactured after a certain date, that would explain the vacant pin space. My friends 2001 Kawasaki 900 has both headlights on as standard. What I don't understand is why, in the US and Europe the left hand dipped beams are illuminated (even if pointing in a different direction) for driving on the opposite (wrong) ;-) side of the road as here in the UK?? Also why it's off at all on models exported to the US which has nothing to do with the EU???

Second edit;

I was also told that it's an MOT (UK road safety test) failure in the UK if spotted by the tester.

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I made my wiring harness a bit differently.... I added a second H4 socket to the same harness, and populated the low beam pin as described elswere. If there is a need to remove the second low beam, and I still want the high beam function, all I have to do is unplug the added socket, and plug the OEM socket back in. That quick, and I am back to OEM wiring.

Probably would not pass muster at an MOT inspection; but here in Oregon, no one inspects the bike at all. Unless you are pulled over by a LEO, that is.

Hopper

Reaction score
Visit site
Did the modification today., all went well
Procured a harness from Ebay, used this to source the blade connector
already had some 6mm flag connectors, just opened this out a wee bit
to make it fit.
This is by far the best dual headlight mod out there. a none evasive method
that looks professional

Hat's off to you BD43 sir

Many Thanks
Hopper

arkay

Reaction score
Visit site
I did this today, slightly differently though. I didn't remove the air filter. Instead I removed the cylindrical shaped component that is attached to the front of the battery box, just removed the top wire, pushed the nylon pin out and removed the 10mm bolt, the whole asssembly lifted out of the way and access to the connector was easily achieved. It was a bit fiddly getting the 10mm bolt out but a ring spanner did it bit by bit. Never thought to take pics :-(

gt89stang393

Reaction score
Visit site
hello again everyone, I have been enjoying this mod for a while now, and before I jump into buying a kit, I was wondering if the BD43 headlight mod would still work with an HID kit? I would of course get a low/high bulb. Anyone with any information, it would be greatly appreciated.

zixxerboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, I just assumed you were talking about watts, as voltage is not really consumed. I cannot answer your question regarding the voltage drop. My opinion is that it probably drops a little, but as long as the battery is not discharging, there should be no problem.

The extra lamp AND an electric vest are no probs?? The E vest takes top priority.

spacefrog

Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup:
As the same in the other headlight mods, pull the connector off the rear side of the right headlight assembly. Flip open the rear cover and insert the flag connector into the empty spot. Close the cover, fold the wire around to align with the other wires and wrap with electrical tape up as far as you can go. Plug back into headlight assembly.

watermark.php

Start putting everything back together. Put the connector halves back in the boot, tuck inside the frame, move the battery box back into position, and install air box on top. Note the special bolt used to hold down the battery box.

watermark.php

The test. Picture shows switch on low beam, the right side headlight (picture left) is illuminating low beam filament.

watermark.php

The switch is now flipped to high beam. The right side headlight (picture left) high beam filament is illuminated while the low beam filament is now off or non-illuminated.

watermark.php

That concludes the mod. Once the wire harness was made, not a lot of time was spent on the bike itself. Hopefully this is of use to someone.

Update: To date, this mod has been installed in all bikes around the world from years 2004 to 2008 inclusive. That's a question I get asked a lot, "does it fit in a 20XX bike?", and the answer is "yes". Happy riding and ride safe.

:thumbup:sorry i dont really know how to reply to this thread until i send this,i just wanted to say that i have done the headlight mod to my fz6 but i used a relay as there has been some talk on the net of switches burning out,the relay mod i did works well. hope ya like the picture of my bike,if i can add it that is,this is a great site.........:rockon:

spacefrog

Reaction score
Visit site
sorry i dont really know how to reply to this thread until i send this,i just wanted to say that i have done the headlight mod to my fz6 but i used a relay as there has been some talk on the net of switches burning out,the relay mod i did works well. hope ya like the picture of my bike,if i can add it that is,this is a great site.........