bd43's 07 Headlight Mod Part 2

Patsak

Reaction score
Visit site
Received the harness allright. Again I want to stress that it is of a superb build quality. Very professional.
Installation took about 2 hours. As for the complete n00b who hasn't done any serious mods (just frame sliders and windscreen) I believe it was a good result. The size of the cable is inch-perfect (if you run it under the headlights along with existing wiring).
Also I would like to add several notes regarding the whole dual low beam setup. The "extra" activated low beam will, of course, have opposite cut-off to the OEM one as it is meant to be used in countries with other-hand traffic. This can cause some nousance to the oncoming traffic, but more importantly it might fail you an MOT test. I will ask at the dealership when taking my FZ6 for a service soon whether that's the case, meanwhile can anybody comment on this? In any case it is not a big problem since it is easy to unplug the wire from the headlight before taking your motorcycle for testing.
And finally, thanks, Daryl, for the excellent how-to and piece of kit!

flashgordon

Reaction score
Visit site
Well here is another happy twin head light FZ6, thanks bd43 for the harness to do the mod took just under two hours, why Yamaha decided to just have one headlight is beyond me looks much better with two. Shall have to see now if i get seen better.:Flash:

:uk:

moonjoose

Fazer Newbie
Reaction score
www.davidhurst.co.uk
I got my harness from bd43 last October and I finally got around to fitting it today. It was too cold to work on the bike, and by the time I was ready, the harsh winter had caused the seat lock to corrode and seize up (my bike was brand new in September!). Anyway, finally got that sorted, found the harness and got it installed.

It can be a little bit daunting if you've not done this sort of thing before, but even so, I managed to do it in about an hour and a half. Very pleased with the result!

Thanks bd43 - awesome mod!

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
I also did it this weekend with the help of another forum member. I'm glad I didn't try it alone. It was a lot easier with an extra set of hands. Not that it's hard but getting the hoses off and on the air box requires a bit of manipulation. It was easier with one of us working the hose clamps with pliers and the other free to use both hands to push on or pull off the hoses.

Other than that it was pretty straight forward and looks great. bd43's cable is as good as anything OEM would have provided if they made one. The pins all click in perfectly. took us about 1.5 hours from start to finish.

recko

dennis
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks bd43! I just did mine too! Now my fingers are feeling numb after all the twistings and turnings... haha... Here are some pics to share (I didn't take any photos of the mid process 'cause my hands were to dirty and I didn't wanna dirty my cam :D):

Last edited:

Mr.Spoofy

Reaction score
Visit site
Also did mine this weekend too, I fab'ed all the parts per bd43's first post. Cutting out the connector was a blast, I'm glad I did it. The bike looks great this way!!!

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
I received mine about 1 1/2 weeks ago, but have been too busy with work to get it done. What little spare time I have, I spend riding. Definitely looks like quality construction. Hopefully will get the time soon to do it.

iRoNyX

Reaction score
Visit site
I received the package from bd43 last Monday and completed this mod a few hours ago.

Initial inspection of the package surprised me - bd43 did a terrific job with it, I must say! The goods were of superb quality and construction, well packaged, and the instructions provided were clear and the colour photos definitely helped me feel confident (I'm mechanically retarded).

It took me just over an hour. Installation went nearly exactly as planned, with all parts "clicking" in as promised and making a tight seal. The pictures greatly helped me identify the various parts on the bike to modify. The length of the cord was perfect.

One interesting side note is that I managed to skip a few steps in the instructions. I did this mod without removing the air box and only ended up taking off 4 bolts near the battery. Basically I disconnected the battery, removed the bolts, took out the battery, and then fished around in front of the loose battery container, sliding it forward about 1/2 inch with play from the "springyness" of the air box. I managed to find and fish out the boot containing the wiring connector from the frame this way within seconds. I did the whole mod from this state and thus avoided removing the air box whatsoever - seems like maybe an option for others as well. Mine's a 2008 FZ6 so maybe that has to do with boot placement as well?

Anyway, overall a terrific mod. Did the changes, put it all back together, and sure enough it worked PERFECTLY first try.

I'm super stoked to have two headlights on lowbeams... Just went outside and checked it out in the dark - TERRIFIC difference in visibility. I have no idea why Yamaha didn't do this in the design... So awesome.

Thanks again bd43, terrific mod that worked perfectly - super impressed! :)

Last edited:

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
I received the package from bd43 last Monday and completed this mod a few hours ago.

Initial inspection of the package surprised me - bd43 did a terrific job with it, I must say! The goods were of superb quality and construction, well packaged, and the instructions provided were clear and the colour photos definitely helped me feel confident (I'm mechanically retarded).

It took me just over an hour. Installation went nearly exactly as planned, with all parts "clicking" in as promised and making a tight seal. The pictures greatly helped me identify the various parts on the bike to modify. The length of the cord was perfect.

One interest side note is that I managed to skip a few steps in the instructions. I did this mod without removing the air box and only ended up taking off 4 bolts near the battery. Basically I disconnected the battery, removed the bolts, took out the battery, and then fished around in front of the loose battery container, sliding it forward about a 1/2 with play from the "springyness" of the air box. I managed to find and fish out the boot containing the wiring connector from the frame this way within seconds. I did the whole mod from this state and thus avoided removing the air box whatsoever - seems like maybe an option for others as well. Mine's a 2008 FZ6 so maybe that has to do with boot placement as well?

Anyway, overall a terrific mod. Did the changes, put it all back together, and sure enough it worked PERFECTLY first try.

I'm super stoked to have two headlights on lowbeams... Just went outside and checked it out in the dark - TERRIFIC difference in visibility. I have no idea why Yamaha didn't do this in the design... So awesome.

Thanks again bd43, terrific mod that worked perfectly - super impressed! :)

Thanks for the tip about not having to move the airbox. I also have an 08 so hopefully it works out the same for me. Can't wait to have the time to get it done.

dsm90awd

Reaction score
Visit site
Just performed the mod on my '07. Very simple process.. took me maybe 45mins and that was being lazy and not pulling out the manual. Little shortcut: instead of fully removing the tank, can just remove the front two mounting allen bolts and pivot up and support with bungie connected to rear "oh ****" handles. Also the small black upper inner fairing ends on either side can be easily removed with one allen bolt each so to get tank to pivot w/o interfearance.

A super high quality piece and makes installation much better/cleaner than vamps/plicing. Definitely worth the coin.

With two low beams I now have better night vision, bike's faster, my confidence is up and am swarmed by chicks. Just think if I had dual high-beams :rockon:

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered bd43's wiring harness. I can't wait to get it hooked up.

Nekros

Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered and recieved and installed Bd43's headlight mod and it's sweet!

It was a bit of a job getting the airbox and battery out, but it was generally straight forward and I did google it and found this article that helped.

Yamaha FZ6 Fazer S2 dual headlight mod (have both headlights on) | David Hurst

I found it great that he actually referred to Bd43 and this forum! Turns out he is another satisfied customer of Bd43 and posted how to remove the airbox and battery.

Awesome work Bd43, thanks again for the cable. After doing my Fizzer, I called my brother over and we did his together in about 20 minutes. The bikes look waaaaaay better with both bulbs on, way more balanced and professional.

A+++++++++ props to Bd43!

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It does go pretty fast the second time around when you know what you're looking for and how things come apart.

The airbox isn't hard to remove, just have to know what needs to be detached before hauling it out. To my recollection, open and slide down the hose clamps on the 3 small hoses at the rear and one off to the right side of the box, disconnect the temp sensor connector, then holding the box on either side, wiggle and lift the box right out.

You might find some additional information here....

BD43 Web Site

KenpoTex

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the mod a couple of days ago. It went pretty smooth...took me about an hour and a half. Of course, about 15-20 minutes of that was spent looking for a screw that I dropped down into the engine (one of the bolts from the 4 hose clamps on the bottom of the air box).

Went for a long ride last night at about 4 am. definitely pleased with how much nicer it is to have dual low-beams. I highly recommend this mod.

sempul

Reaction score
Visit site
just finished this mod with the wire bought from bd43. this was super easy and took about 45 minutes! however i would like to make one quick suggestion; you DO NOT have to remove the inner black fairing to remove the tank. i read this some where else on here and this was the greatest idea. take the two top bolts from the tank, then remove the bottom bolt (10mm) from the tank, slide the tank back and out, stand it up (after pulling drain hoses and two wire clips), then put the bottom bolt back in and hold it up with a bungee cord. follow the rest of the excellent instructions from that point forward. i must say this saved me probably about an hour of work and didnt have to worry about damaging any of my plastics. all in all very easy. and i must say this looks awesome and i think yamaha is an idiot for ever taking this out! now i just have to wait for the sun to go down so i can see how it works!

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have just purchased one of Daryl's wiring harnesses too. I'll finally have 2 eyes on the road, instead of winking the whole time :D

Yeah Sempul, makes it much easier to lift the tank by removing that bolt from the back, those little black inner cowl's are a royal pain in the butt to remove.

:rockon:

sempul

Reaction score
Visit site
went to bike night last night here at the hooters and let me say this is AWESOME at night. i can finally see with out blinding my riding buddies with the brights on. and i can turn and still see the curve lol. i would suggest that if you own a FZ6 (and you probably do if you are reading this :) ) then you MUST do this. i dont care if you buy one from BD43 or make your own. this just makes your bike so much safer and looks so much better!

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
One interesting side note is that I managed to skip a few steps in the instructions. I did this mod without removing the air box and only ended up taking off 4 bolts near the battery. Basically I disconnected the battery, removed the bolts, took out the battery, and then fished around in front of the loose battery container, sliding it forward about 1/2 inch with play from the "springyness" of the air box. I managed to find and fish out the boot containing the wiring connector from the frame this way within seconds. I did the whole mod from this state and thus avoided removing the air box whatsoever - seems like maybe an option for others as well. Mine's a 2008 FZ6 so maybe that has to do with boot placement as well?

I also did this yesterday. Thanks for the tip iRoNyX, it definitely saved sometime.
Big thanks to bd43 for his quality wiring and instructions. I'm stoked to have 2 headlights going. :rockon:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another satisfied harness customer!!
The only thing I changed was I added another quick disconnect (Daryl-approved) in the middle of the wire (right around inner left fairing where the factory connector rests).
Mine was super easy, since it looks like previous owner had already played with battery/wiring, so when I pulled the tank up the harness was right there. I did not need to even touch the air box. I could have left the battery in place too, but it was very difficult to get enough room to route the new wire through the boot into the harness, so I did have to pull the batt out for the install.
Thanks, Daryl!!