BD43 dual headlight question

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Does one have to have a half tank or less when performing this mod? I've got a tank with only about 25 miles or so on it and would really like to have two headlights when I go out tonight. Would it be disastrous to do this with my current fuel level?

You can do it with a full tank; just easier if tank is near empty; If you are worried about gas, go to a local auto parts store and get a fuel siphon (two hoses with a plastic pump) that costs probably $7.00. This works on the principle of a vacuum and works great. You can empty the tank into a 5 gal gas container and not have any worries.

Yeah, I was talking about clamping the drain lines before you lift the tank to avoid a mess. Then, position something under when you unclamp them so you don't spill any gasoline on the ground. There's a great howto on this site about how to lift the tank and there are pictures to demonstrate what I'm talking about.

Got the mod done tonight, made a huge huge difference. Didn't have to use the high beam at all and it gave me a ton of confidence. For those interested, if you do this with a full tank, it'll leak a little, but not much. Do it on a windy day, the fumes tend to build up between the tank and the frame, got a wicked headache... Thanks to those who helped.

I've lifted the tank up multiple times with a full tank, and I've never had fuel come out of the breather lines. Even if it does its a couple tiny drops and evaporates before I notice it.

I stored the bike this past winter with almost a full tank (and Sta-Bil of course). When I went to put the battery in, i propped it up the same way I have before but I did loose a little gas. It's def easier to do it with the tank close to empty.

At the end of last year I had my tank completely full and then lifted it to remove the battery. There was more than a couple drops came out of the breather hoses and since I was in a garage with a wood stove going and people smoking the puddle of gas was not cool.

Back