Backup Fuse?

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know what the "Backup" fuse is for on the FZ6? I'm not talking about the spares, this one is in the main line, labeled "10A Backup". I'm looking for a ignition switched power source to tap into and ran across it when poking around in the fuse block.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i wonder if you pull it if the miles stop counting, or do you think it is just the trip odometer and clock memories?

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
i wonder if you pull it if the miles stop counting, or do you think it is just the trip odometer and clock memories?
My guess is it's an alway on feed to maintain the clock and trip as you said. I have to imagine there is some sort of additional backup, battery and/or capacitor based for the odometer. If you could reset your odometer by disconnecting your battery or pulling a fuse, well, Yamaha would have a problem on their hands.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha would have a problem on their hands.

How many have actually used the ONE year wannenty that they offer? Milage is no object to Yamaha, 12 months is!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, i figured it was just for the clock memory, but it would be nice if the miles didn't reset, just stopped counting...

I knew it was not the way it worked, just hopeful thinking...

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, i figured it was just for the clock memory, but it would be nice if the miles didn't reset, just stopped counting...

I knew it was not the way it worked, just hopeful thinking...
Since it's a digital memory, it's either there, or it's gone, usually, just like the clock and radio presets in your car. There are cetain types of non-volital memory that won't loose their data when they loose power, think USB thumb drives, but for some reason I don't think it's often used in auto/power sports systems. So if you can make it stop counting, it's because it has no power and has probably lost everything.

H

HavBlue

My guess is it's an alway on feed to maintain the clock and trip as you said. I have to imagine there is some sort of additional backup, battery and/or capacitor based for the odometer. If you could reset your odometer by disconnecting your battery or pulling a fuse, well, Yamaha would have a problem on their hands.

Stopping the Odometer can be done but resetting it won't happen even if the power source shut down forever. As early as roughly 1986 we were running analog head units running off a signal from a PM generator. That signal fed a chip in the head unit that was designed to memorize the miles traveled. Now, there are places that can change that chip but they are licensed through the various manufacturers. For those in the So Cal area this would be Auto Electric Radio on Commonwealth in Fullerton.

jfreakman

Reaction score
Visit site
for some reason, whenever I put on my speedohealer to counteract the effect of new sprockets, I hooked it up to my hi-beam switched line. It was actually quite awesome: whenever I had the hi-beams on, the speedometer would work just fine, along with the odo, but when it was just the low beam, neither the speedo or the odo would work. So technically, if you didn't mind having a speedo (which is illegal, of course) then you could just disconnect that line and your odo would stop running also.