zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
What an incredible movie! I loved it so much I saw it twice already :)

One of my all time favorites for sure.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, Z! You are the second person that said they loved it, the first being my step daughter, so I think I will have to take my hubby to see it this weekend! :thumbup:

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
razteo: the 2 times I saw it was both in normal 3D (i.e. not Imax). From what I've read it's actually 3D in the Imax too so I'm planning on taking a friend who's coming for a visit to go check it out in Imax 3D too :)

ELIZABETH: you know, the movie is of the fantasy genre but at the same time the story is so convincing and well told, the settings are so beautiful and the characters are so incredibly realistic (props to Weta Studios ... those guys are truly amazing) that you don't even notice the whole movie is fiction (and the 3D helps a lot for that ... really gets you immersed in the movie). The movie was 2 hours and 40 minutes long, and although my ass was hurting from sitting in the chair for so long I simply did not want it to end :)

If you enjoy that sort of movies (fantasy/action with a nice story to back it up), you are definitely going to like this one IMO :)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was it in regular 3D and enjoyed it. Bit too long for me and the 3D gave me a migraine at hour two.

but riddle me this...at the beginning of the movie the arrows couldn't penetrate the glass of the choppers, but at the end of the movie they could. What's up with that???

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
OK first of all I love movies and I go quite often I love SciFi movies and movies like this one are normaly right up my ally. I really have zero want or reason to see Avatar. I don't really know why I just don't. Normaly what the trailers start showing up online for a new film I go crazy but this film from the word go I just did'nt find is of any intrest to me I don't know why.

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ I was the very same way as you btw. I was watching some really dumb movie a month ago (Gamer?) together with a friend. We saw the avatar trailer and he told me "dude we definitely have to go check it out" and I was like "no ****ing way I'm watching a movie about some blue fish-looking people". I ended up seeing this movie just because I had literally nothing better to do a few days ago. I am really glad that I did!

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
I went an saw it last night at a IMAX 3D. I had a headache after it was over. Not sure it was pressure from the 3D glasses or what. My wife had the same thing. Freakin' outstanding movie. Thought it was a bit stereo typing though.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I felt like it was really well done, too. I liked the parallel of the Pandora world and the American Indian world as it was invaded and infested with the same similar greed driven, dark side of humanity. It's so hauntingly familiar how the people destroying the world and harvesting it for profit were calling the natives "savages". I liked the message that the movie conveyed of life being more important than goods and profits. I also enjoyed the portrayal of how powerful unity can be. Great movie.....one of my favorites for sure!:thumbup: Very inspired to get back into my artwork.:D

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
Totally off topic:

Very inspired to get back into my artwork.:D

Everything you said I totally agree with but what really caught my attention was the artwork bit. You know, I've always liked to draw since I was a kid. When I was 13 I picked up flash and photoshop and started creating little web sites, animations, games, wallpapers, digital drawings, etc. For some reason, however, I always believed I'm a programmer at heart so when the time to pick up a college came I never even considered art schools. Instead, I picked a college and double majored in computer science (for the programmer in me) and "interactive media and games" (for the artist in me ... I just thought/hoped this second major will be more about art and interactive media than anything else). It turned out this major was picked by geeks who were playing damn games all the time so after year 1 I just dropped that major and continued with computer science and an art sufficiency ( i.e. took 6 art classes)

Now, 4 years later, I realize that going to a tech school was the biggest mistake in my life. The thought of doing another degree in art had crossed my mind in the past couple of years but I could not justify spending another 4 years studying for another B.S. degree and at the same time I cannot just do some advanced masters-like degree with no prior art experience (and above all - not to mention the costs involved).

I then came across VFS (Vancouver Film School) and I told myself that no matter what - I will attend their 2 year program. After seeing Avatar I got so incredibly inspired that I just began thinking of all sorts of web app/site ideas that I can turn into finished products in the next year or so and then hopefully sell some of them to help me gather some money towards the $100K that I would need to attend VFS for 2 years.

So yeah, I was planning on making a thread about all that to see if anyone else has been in the same boat as me but after I saw your post I just thought I'd explain why I love Avatar so damn much :) It's an awesome movie and very very inspiring to me personally :)

Jesus am I random or what :BLAA:

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought your paragraph was rather specific.:D Glad to meet other inspiring artists out there.:rockon:

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got back from the 3D IMAX presentation of Avatar. AMAZING movie. The 3D was a nice touch. I jumped twice.

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought it was good. Non IMAX 3D was pretty impressive. It was very predictable and family oriented but still enjoyable to watch. A step forward in the technology for sure, 3D films in general got a bump from this. I hope to see a lot more of them coming out in the near future.