Any digital camera gurus here?

+1 on the startup/shutter lag/processing time statements.
you dont really notice how bad this can be until you use someone else's crappy camera and want to smash it after just a few shots.

a few other things to keep in mind.

media formats.
some mfgs use proprietary card formats. sony uses memory stick, olympus uses xd, etc.
if you have several sony cameras, a sony laptop, sony flat panel, this can be keep very usefull, otherwise its incredibly annoying and is expensive to have to buy a different format for every different device you own.
SD is in general the most popular and is somewhat becoming the standard in flash memory for many electronic devices. its also one of the cheapest and widely available.

batteries have also been mentioned.
most point and shoots use a specific battery pack for that camera or line. this keeps the size and weight down, but if you want extra batteries be prepared to pay out the ass (unless you use ebay and buy generic ones).
AA batteries are cheap and plentiful worldwide. theyre also heavy and bulky. if you buy a camera that uses AA`s, its unlikely it will come with rechargeables - which you will inevitably want - and now you must buy them and a charger; adding to the cost.

i think the best way to start is to realistically ask yourself how you are going to use it.
is it going to always be on automatic, or are you going continually adjust the settings?
are you going to make prints, or just look at your pics on the computer?
do you need an enormous zoom?

i think many people buy cameras way above their needs. spending twice as much to haul around something 3 times the size, just to get the same shot they could have with a tiny cam.

i think many people buy cameras way above their needs. spending twice as much to haul around something 3 times the size, just to get the same shot they could have with a tiny cam.
That depends if photography is your hobby or not. Just like our bikes, some people think we're freak'n nuts to be on the street on 2 wheels.

I have no problem lugging a backpack of pro camera gear with a P&S in my pocket all day at Disneyland with my family (3 kids). The vivid and spectacular images live forever... especially when I produce them into High Def videos and Blue-ray format.

Here's a shot from last weekend. Try this with a point & shoot. Although it was shot with DSLR, but the Lumix LX3 can come pretty close.

disney-castle1.jpg

small-world2.jpg

Last edited:
those are some nice shots!

i wasnt implying that that a small p&s is as good as a feature loaded one, simply that some dont know how to use them to their capability an can achieve an apparently equal result without spending as much. i doubt you could hand some random your cam and achieve results like you did above.

obviously if youre into photography as hobby, you understand how a higher end cam is better and are willing to pay the price to have it, and not just because the salesman said so. you also would be spending more than 400 and not asking for advice on a motorcycle forum.

Great, just great... Now in addition to all the mods I want after seeing other's postings, and then someone's recent post made me want a GPS, now this is making me want to toss my POS older Fuji and get a better point and shoot camera...

But - great info guys! :thumbup: Got my eye on a couple already.

The most glaring difference between my Nikon SLR and my Lumix compact auto, is the flash....the flash on my Lumix has no grunt at all really, and is only good for indoor use in moderate lighting.... My Nikon D70, with it's nice big flash....leaves it for dead...and you cant use a secondary flash with the Lumix TZ-15 auto.

The difference between a good DSLR and a point and shoot can be huge. I have the Canon Rebel XTI for my DSLR and it takes great pics. But I still stuff my Powershot in my leathers pocket when I go out. I have a topbox so the DSLR is not a problem. I think without the top box it would stay at home a lot more.

Do lots of camera review searches and you will find what you want.

Steve

I just recently bought the Panisonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 last month. I'm no expert in digital camera's so I went the with the advise from the sales rep at Best Buy. I did mention that I would want the cababiltiies to record video and take pics, and they recommended this camera. I also told them I wanted someting easy to use, not too technical. It also has a wide angle view and good zoom capabilities. They mentinioed someithg about HD quality, but not sure if this is high def.

I paid $329 for the camera, $39 for the memory card, $60 for the 3 year extended warranty.

Ok, so after spending waayy too many hours hitting every store that sold cameras, I think (well, as of now) I am going to go with the Lumix DMC-TZ5, as the DMC-LX3 is out of my price range. The past "noise" issues with the Lumix line are taken care of, supposedly. There were a few Canon models that I liked, so I may have to look at them again. I really do not want a DSLR, too much money, and I already have enough sunk into my 35mm Konica SLR. I just want a simple camera that I can take along with out having a big production. The DMC-TZ5 has a decent start up time, better than the Cybershot I looked at, and has a very simple user interface. Thank you everyone for the advice! It is much appreciated. I will go out looking again tomorrow.

I don't know which model it was but Costco has at least one of the lumix cameras. You might check them, too.

Glad to hear that the noise issue was fixed. With the nice lens it should be a sweet setup.

Last edited:
Ok, so after spending waayy too many hours hitting every store that sold cameras, I think (well, as of now) I am going to go with the Lumix DMC-TZ5

good choice!
i bought that camera for my mother. its quite compact for its performance, and has a pretty wide angle for the amount of zoom it offers.it also has a metal case which imo does heaps for its durability.

Great, just great... Now in addition to all the mods I want after seeing other's postings, and then someone's recent post made me want a GPS, now this is making me want to toss my POS older Fuji and get a better point and shoot camera...

But - great info guys! :thumbup: Got my eye on a couple already.

Get a GPS! I bought a cheap Garmin Nuvi 200 and love it! Now,I just need to figure out how to mount it on the bike.:thumbup:

Get a GPS! I bought a cheap Garmin Nuvi 200 and love it! Now,I just need to figure out how to mount it on the bike.:thumbup:

i have a nuvi 250, i tried it out on the bike for a few rides.
i used the included suction cup mount to the underside of the windshield and routed the cable through the fairing. seemed to work great there.

Let us know how the Lumix DMC-TZ5 works out for you! I'm on the constant search for a pocket camera at a good price, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

For hobby and personal photo missions where I want the picture to count I'll lug the DSLR around with me and one or two lenses mattering on what my end goal is. I have yet to take the DSLR out while riding because I'm not a fan of carrying the backpack while riding plus I want to focus on the ride and I know if I have the big camera with me then I'll focus more on looking for the "picture" than riding. It's liking living through the lens while hiking and not remembering much of the hike itself.

For riding and quick snaps I love my Cannon Powershot S3IS and it has been my trusty companion that I leave in the tank bag when on the bike, or in the glove box when in the truck. I take a ton of pictures and video with it and am happy enough with the point and shoot functions that I'll rarely post edit. I just want quick and good enough quality to post on the web and the camera is perfect, but it's still slightly bulky.

I really want a small compact that acts like the S3IS, but in a pocket size.

Depending on the model of Konica you have and more importantly the lenses, you may want to look at the Sony stuff.

The Sony DSLR uses the Konica Minolta lens mount, so you can use most of the old lenses on the DSLR.

As others have said the Sony compacts take Memory Stick which is a proprietary format, however the DSLR can take compact flash and memory stick.

I'm a big fan of the Canon Powershot SD models as a compact point and shoot camera.

I recently handed down my SD400 to my wife so I can try out the SD1100IS.
Refinements include:
-8MB vs 5MB
-Battery meter included opposed to having none.
-Image Stablizer or (IS)
-F number and shutter speed now displayed while taking photos (before, you can only see that on a computer)
-Max ISO of 1600 vs 400

Pros:
-fast startup
-IS does help to reduce burry pictures
-optical viewfinder
-pictures taken look identical to what you see as long as lighting source is set correctly.
-small
-affordable

Cons:
-Flash is extremely bright.
-Night shots: IS does reduce blurriness, however, night shots still require a flash (which causes everything to be dark) or a tripod.

Other cameras used: Kodak Easyshare, Sony DSC-700, Canon XTi

Depending on the model of Konica you have and more importantly the lenses, you may want to look at the Sony stuff.

The Sony DSLR uses the Konica Minolta lens mount, so you can use most of the old lenses on the DSLR.

As others have said the Sony compacts take Memory Stick which is a proprietary format, however the DSLR can take compact flash and memory stick.

I am not sure what type of mount my Konica uses. It is fairly old, it was given to me by a friends dad who had a photography studio and retired. I an guessing it is from the early to mid 1980's. All I know is that I had one of the Pentax lenses repaired (f-stop was stuck) and the guy told me that a new comparable camera and lenses would be over $3500 USD. All I know is that it takes absolutely beautiful pics. There is no auto adjustment for anything, all manual.

Well I bought a camera, finally. I ended up buying the Panasonic DMC-TZ5s. I got one good price on it. It was a close call between the Nikon CoolPix s560.

Thanks to all here for your input, it was very much appreciated. With out your advice I would not have looked at such things as start up time, cycle times, burst cycles, and much more. My hat is off!

Well I bought a camera, finally. I ended up buying the Panasonic DMC-TZ5s. I got one good price on it. It was a close call between the Nikon CoolPix s560.

Thanks to all here for your input, it was very much appreciated. With out your advice I would not have looked at such things as start up time, cycle times, burst cycles, and much more. My hat is off!

Both are really great cameras. you can't go wrong with either one. I bought a S550 for my girlfriend and it's perfect for her needs. the DMC-TZ5s wasn't out at the time if I remember correctly but.. it get's :thumbup: :thumbup:

AND REMEMBER

:needpics:

Back