Another OSO2K Setback Plate installation

We'll see how much energy I have after my wife delivers at the end of July.

Congrats on the child, but bye-bye energy and time. :)

The other thing I'm considering is swapping out the swingarm for an R6 swingarm. It's actually a cheaper conversion than an upgrade to 07+ FZ6 swingarm.

I did my 2007+ swingarm mod quite cheaply, but I guess there may be a lot of really cheap R6 swingarms out there. My understanding on going to the R6 swingarm, was that you have to lose the underseat exhaust and switch to side exhaust, since there isn't room for the pipe to pass through.

Re: 2007+ swingarm installation

jrevans, am I correct in thinking the 07+ swingarm is a direct swap on the 04-06?

Yes, the swingarm is a direct swap. You need the 2007+ swingarm, axle/nut and adjustment mechanism pieces. Everything else fits from your old unit.

I followed tips from Defy, but painted mine silver to match my 2004 frame color (using rustoleum spray paint that matched perfectly).

Here's a thread on the other forum where I talk about the install: Took my FZ6 out of commission last night - Sportbikes.net

Attached are some pictures:
- during the install, ready to bolt the shock back to the new swingarm
- done, but in the dark at night
- done in the daytime
- done with my big Givi box installed on the yamaha tail rack

I'm really happy with how this mod turned out, as the 2004 swingarm always looked so boxy and ugly back there.

Thanks for all that info and the pics on the swingarm, jrevans. This is something I may have to undertake soon, as I hate the look of the earlier swingarm and the adjusters just suck. LOL.

FINALLY got the bike out for a good ride yesterday, so I finally got to see how I like the oso2k setback plates. The short and skinny of it?

WOW!!!

Everything, and I mean everything, that other reviewers have said about these things is spot-on. Shifting from side to side is so much easier. I think because your legs are more "coiled up" and your feet are more underneath your center mass, it's easier to just pop up off the seat and move from one side to the other.

Yes, if you've got knee problems, these probably aren't for you. LOL. With the rearsets in the stock location, I could go probably 4 hours of riding before my right knee would start to ache. With these, after about 2 hours I could feel it starting BUT I also found something else that's a huge plus. Because the rearsets are moved up and back, I found it's much easier to "hang" my feet (specifically, the front of my ankles) on the pegs and straighten my legs to allow my knees to "breathe". I usually throw my feet over the frame sliders, but I've always worried about putting pressure on those frame bolts. This gives me another way to relax my knees when on a long ride.

Overall, I rate these a MUST HAVE if you ride a lot of twisties, can take the more cramped position (although it's not bad at all), and just want a really nice mod made by another member.

Excellent product oso2k! I rate these a 10 out of 10! :thumbup:

@ CCHOUSEKY

I am troubled that you did not reinstall the two oversize flat washers as indicated in the photo.

View attachment 29363

The washer is there to prevent the inner section of the footrest damper separating from its outer.

View attachment 29364

Should the two separate while riding, the complete footrest assembly will detach from the bike resulting in catastrophic failure.

FZ6-ZN

FZ6-ZN, no need to fret! I did reinstall those rubber-backed washers, but per Hellgate's instructions, I flipped them over so the rearsets are no longer "rubber mounted" and have much less flex in them.

I appreciate the worry, though! If you look at the higher resolution pictures I posted later in the thread (the originals are from my iPhone, the latter with a digital camera), you can see them.

Thanks!!! :thumbup:

Wait...upon re-reading what you said, I think I misunderstood.

You may have pointed out something that I should install. The other side of those rubber washers is completely metal, but I see what you're saying. Maybe I should put a washer OVER the rubber on the outside to ensure I don't have any problem?

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to do that when I get a chance.

Hi CCHOUSEKY

Now I see what you’ve have done, flipped the washers around. I was worried you’d loose your footing.

I pressed out the foot rest dampers and machined new inserts from nylon to get rid of the free play.

Will post up a picture when the parts get back from powdercoating.

I like feeling the road, the movement in the foot pegs made me feel uneasy when pushing my FZ6 to its limits on the track.

I’m going to go for OEM R6 rearsets setup very soon.
FZ6-ZN

Yes, definitely post up pictures of what you did when you get the parts back! I'm always interested in how others have thought out a mod.

And you've really got me intrigued with the R6 rearset idea. Keep us updated on how that goes and how it works out. I might be tempted to try that myself!

i was curious how thick these plates are & what type of AL they are made of. How are they holding up to the rigors of track riding or even every day riding?

i was curious how thick these plates are & what type of AL they are made of. How are they holding up to the rigors of track riding or even every day riding?

I don't remember exactly but I wanna say 3/8". They survived my lay down at AAA Speedway. I've had 0 complaints so far.

I've ridden my bike nearly every day since I got my setback plates from the first run, and have had zero problems. Haven't had a chance to take them to the track yet though, just around town, mountain twisties, and a couple 5-600 mile days.

Mine have been on all summer and fall and they've worked beautifully. There is an initial "break in" period for your knees to adjust to them being slightly more bent, but once your body gets used to it, they're amazing.

They really shined on my trip to Deal's Gap in August. On those tight, twisty roads, they made shifting around on the seat so much easier. With the plates installed, your feet are directly underneath you, so getting yourself up and off the seat from side to side is a breeze. I also find that it makes me much more aware to stay up on the balls of my feet...don't know why, but that's a good result for me.

Thanks again, oso2k! Another satisfied customer here! :thumbup:

Back