Android Kit Kat for: RazR M, HD & Maxx is rolling out

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fail!!!!!!

TALK ABOUT FAIL!!! As mentioned; many things went back to default. Lost all B/T devices, no quick access to camera although factory installed KK does this, this one does not.

Aside from the ALL WHITE txt background, "newly composed msgs" scroll under the last msg so you can't see what you typed and there is no CARRIAGE RETURN?? WTF were they thinking??? ((( Like maybe I don't want everything in one long string but I can fill the page full of a bunch of useless crap emoji stuff and no real function? ERRR - someone find a new txt that works!

PS - nag screen every time I use the phone so it was DEGRADED LAST NIGHT....

EDIT: DEGRADED MY PHONE last night

EDIT # 2 ....
attachment.php

EDIT # 3 .... [MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Fail!!!!!!

TALK ABOUT FAIL!!! As mentioned; many things went back to default. Lost all B/T devices, no quick access to camera although factory installed KK does this, this one does not.

Aside from the ALL WHITE txt background, "newly composed msgs" scroll under the last msg so you can't see what you typed and there is no CARRIAGE RETURN?? WTF were they thinking??? ((( Like maybe I don't want everything in one long string but I can fill the page full of a bunch of useless crap emoji stuff and no real function? ERRR - someone find a new txt that works!

PS - nag screen every time I use the phone so it was upgraded last night....

I have to go through all of my apps and widgets because I'm finding that if it show them om my phone and I go to use them the phone tells me the app is not installed. Then I have to go to Google play which also says says the app is installed and reload/reinstall the app. :rolleyes:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Fail!!!!!!

I have to go through all of my apps and widgets because I'm finding that if it show them om my phone and I go to use them the phone tells me the app is not installed. Then I have to go to Google play which also says says the app is installed and reload/reinstall the app. :rolleyes:

^^ Ditto - I guess I'm being a whiner.... But they pulled some stupid SH$T here! Removing the lock screen mute button so you have to volume up and down. I go to way too many stupid @ss meetings, so the old slider was a life saver for not being dbag fool in a meeting. r shakes head.

How about the lame @ss txt app (AGAIN), you can't select (highlight) a msg. Just delete it or lock it. Who's brilliant idea was that!

If I'm not mistaken its only the google apps with the broken links/short cuts. lol They are on a roll there!!! Ruined their own stuff; but wait. It was no accident. I'm guessing there is a reason for it. It was intentional to re-install them to get something from us.

Those two are getting too big for their own britches I suspect :Flip: . Time to downgrade to the underdog provider with limited service!

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=7496]Erci[/MENTION] - try to download 8SMS. It's a replacement app for SMS that mirrors the KitKat one, except it has things like a dark theme. It also allows MMS over wifi if your carrier allows it.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and love KitKat, but it does have a few flaws which make it eat battery. They should all be updated soon. Otherwise rooting the device and using things like DisableService and AppOpps can let you block certain applications from becoming battery hogs.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=7496]Erci[/MENTION] - try to download 8SMS. It's a replacement app for SMS that mirrors the KitKat one, except it has things like a dark theme. It also allows MMS over wifi if your carrier allows it.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and love KitKat, but it does have a few flaws which make it eat battery. They should all be updated soon. Otherwise rooting the device and using things like DisableService and AppOpps can let you block certain applications from becoming battery hogs.

Interesting - that was the one I found last night (looked promising) and was about to install.

Question: once NEW sms app is installed, are the old txt in the OEM txt app still available for viewing?
- Or are they ported over?
- Or just lost never to be seen again?

Tks

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting - that was the one I found last night (looked promising) and was about to install.

Question: once NEW sms app is installed, are the old txt in the OEM txt app still available for viewing?
- Or are they ported over?
- Or just lost never to be seen again?

Tks

Go ahead and install it - all of your messages/MMS/etc will show up inside of the new app. If you are scared of losing messages, you can download SMS Backup and Restore or Titanium Backup and make a backup of your messages just in case. If you have tons of messages, this is a good idea anyways.

After you install the new messaging app, with Kit Kat it will ask you to select it as the default SMS app and it should turn off notifications for you (from the old/OEM messaging app). Messages are stored in a database and the applications are just interfaces to view them, much like you can view FZ6-forum from the web, or from something like Tapatalk.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Some others are listed here....

Best Android SMS text messaging replacement apps [March 2014] | TalkAndroid.com

^^ Thanks for the tip about install too mnuttall!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Battery killing pos.....

I dont know what they did but gone are the days 2+ days between charging. Its more like an iphone now. Charge daily.... It goes so far as to kill itself in the night while doing nothing... Just me or how are the other devices holding up?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Battery killing pos.....

I dont know what they did but gone are the days 2+ days between charging. Its more like an iphone now. Charge daily.... It goes so far as to kill itself in the night while doing nothing... Just me or how are the other devices holding up?

Did you do the SMS replacement software? There may be issues with how it checks for SMS MMS and you may have to change the protocols.

There may be a problem with "wakelock"

Here: High battery usage | 8sms

My RazrM seam normal on battery...

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Did you do the SMS replacement software? There may be issues with how it checks for SMS MMS nad you may have to change the protocols.

There may be a problem with "wakelock"

Here: High battery usage | 8sms

My RazrM seam normal on battery...

Looked at battery use - WiFi is on all the time even when asleep. Its set to "Keep WiFi on during sleep = Only when plugged in" but it didn't play by the rules. Hopefully toggling the setting will fix it.

See the WiFi blue and AWAKE blue. it was on ALL night... :spank:
attachment.php

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site

I caved and did the update. Lost all my bluetooth connections (not a big deal reconnecting) and also noticed that WiFi does not work when connected to a bluetooth device. This is a nuisance as I like to use my bluetooth speakers around the house. Really don't want to be using my data when I can and have been using WiFi and bluetooth together!

Other than that, I don't currently have any other issues. Phone seems to be responding a litter faster but could just be in my head.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I caved and did the update. Lost all my bluetooth connections (not a big deal reconnecting) and also noticed that WiFi does not work when connected to a bluetooth device. This is a nuisance as I like to use my bluetooth speakers around the house. Really don't want to be using my data when I can and have been using WiFi and bluetooth together!

Other than that, I don't currently have any other issues. Phone seems to be responding a litter faster but could just be in my head.

Unfortunately I'm still finding apps that don't work properly after the update and now I'm re-installing when I find something wrong. My LED flash light is totally trashed so I have to find a different app all together can't re-install it to work properly.

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a S3. Battery consumption is way up. Just like everyone else, use to go 2 or so days on a charge. Now, 8 hrs tops at work and less then 24 off duty.

Speaking of being on duty. Two of the apps I use at work no longer opperate correctly due to e-mail and SMS not being allowed to be intercepted by the apps I use for alerts and mapping for responding on calls.

Is there a way to go back to Jelly Bean?!

Sent from my "slow as a Harley" Sprint Network cell phone.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a S3. Battery consumption is way up. Just like everyone else, use to go 2 or so days on a charge. Now, 8 hrs tops at work and less then 24 off duty.

Speaking of being on duty. Two of the apps I use at work no longer opperate correctly due to e-mail and SMS not being allowed to be intercepted by the apps I use for alerts and mapping for responding on calls.

Is there a way to go back to Jelly Bean?!

Sent from my "slow as a Harley" Sprint Network cell phone.

Go through and toggle all of the related settings as something didn't take.

Mine was leaving the WiFi on 24/7 even while the phone was sleeping. It seems better now that I toggled the WiFi sleep option. It's still sucking life WAY more than it was before, but it IS a night day improvement from where it was. Looks like some added BS is sucking it from it that didn't exist before....

As for going back - kinda doubt it... Toggle FTW and Disable everything you don't need!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I'll have pay attention to this one.... Wifi vs BT... it seemed to be OK although most BT operations are away from wifi. IIRC both were working at the same time. I.e. connected to laptop for BT and xbox 360 via wifi as a remote.

All the things one normally does with a phone! lol

Mine only has a gb of memory and ALLOT of it is being used plus its redraws the screen in black at times. Its about 1/2 the device it used to be, plus actual dial out - it doesn't dial for the fisrt 20 seconds....

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, add another issue. Sometime earlier today I lost my contact list. It will not sync with my google account. The error says "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly." Nice huh?

So in the mean time I have people calling me and or sending me SMS who I have no idea who they are. It's a shame technology puts us in a position not to remember who people are by the number. FML!

Google:spank:

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hard reset fixed the last issues... Add another issue. NOW my phone won't stay on unless its plugged in. 100% on the battery and the phone gets extremely hot. This started all of a sudden today this afternoon. Trying another hard reset.

DO NOT INSTALL KIT KAT!Blah

update:

Fail... HARD RESET DID NOT WORK. PHONE STILL TURNS OFF IF NOT PLUGGED IN TO CHARGER. 100% BATTERY.WOW!

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hard reset fixed the last issues... Add another issue. NOW my phone won't stay on unless its plugged in. 100% on the battery and the phone gets extremely hot. This started all of a sudden today this afternoon. Trying another hard reset.

DO NOT INSTALL KIT KAT!Blah

update:

Fail... HARD RESET DID NOT WORK. PHONE STILL TURNS OFF IF NOT PLUGGED IN TO CHARGER. 100% BATTERY.WOW!

Bummer - which device are you running? Doesn't sound promising....

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bummer - which device are you running? Doesn't sound promising....

Samsung Galaxy S3

Up until this update it was a wonderful phone. Never one problem for over two years!

Maybe the battery took a crap? As it now shows 22%. Less then an hour ago it showed 100%. I don't know. Very frustrating. As I have stated before I use my phone for work.

Just before I hit the enter button to save the edit on this post the battery went to 8%... ugh! And everyone working today has an iPhone so I can't swap out the battery to see if thats it...

Last edited: