Alpinestars A-10 Leather/Textile Pants

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
Still on my search for a good pair of riding pants. I think I am just going to get a good pair that can offer relatively good protection on some aggressive street riding sessions, as I just don't feel good in jeans. I did not want leather pants, as I felt it was just too much, but these textile/leather combination pants look pretty good. Also, I already have an A* jacket, so I can zip them together right out of the box. Anyone else happen to have these by chance?

Once I get my pants, I will finally have all the pieces of proper gear!

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I need a pair of pants, not overpants. I need them to handle all weather conditions, and not look too weird. Anybody?

Joe

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are Kevlar jeans. kevlar street jean

They're pricey but....You wash em you wear em. You should work out how you might do these with or without armor if you're going to ride in and wear them in the office. Talk to Wayne Boyer, the owner and a really nice person.

I'm getting the GP pant's before summer. Again....they're pricey but this guy will repair them free of charge if you crash and damage them.
Check his line of jackets and pants. You won't find anything like them.

Again....pricey but you're more than worth it!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have them too! Great pants, very comfy. Just don't dry clean them.

That was a terrible deal.
Poor Bryan took his pants to the local dry cleaner to have them cleaned. He got his pants back and went for a ride. While he was on the ride his butt and legs started heating up! He was getting chemical burns from cleaning chemicals left in the material! :eek:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have them too! Great pants, very comfy. Just don't dry clean them.

Wow, thanks for taking one for the team and learning the lesson for us! That's a good point for a potential buyer - they don't have a removable liner that you can wash.

What do you do to freshen them up then? Febreeze? I wear underarmour heatgear that I can wash, but haven't tried to clean/freshen them up yet.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, thanks for taking one for the team and learning the lesson for us! That's a good point for a potential buyer - they don't have a removable liner that you can wash.

What do you do to freshen them up then? Febreeze? I wear underarmour heatgear that I can wash, but haven't tried to clean/freshen them up yet.

I have the Astar track pants. they're perf leather with stretchy groin area panels. I've never cleaned the inside of them but I take them off as soon as I get home and hang them upside down with a fan inside them so that the nylon liner dries out quickly. They smell fine! They're great pants. I've been down in them twice and they've held up really great. I love them and feel naked if I ride without them but I would like to get Kevlar for the summer when I ride the desert and mountain areas. I was riding Pally this past year and suffered heat exhaustion. It was not good and was entirely my fault cuz I wouldn't take a break to hydrate and cool down and eat something. I was having to much fun...:eek:
After the Kevlar the Astar A-10 would be my choice for a cooler pant and who knows, that's what I might end up with.

Last edited:

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been thinking about buying a pair of these pants it's good to hear people like them. I think once spring roles around up here I will have to order up a pair of them from my local shop

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
There are Kevlar jeans. kevlar street jean

They're pricey but....You wash em you wear em. You should work out how you might do these with or without armor if you're going to ride in and wear them in the office. Talk to Wayne Boyer, the owner and a really nice person.

I'm getting the GP pant's before summer. Again....they're pricey but this guy will repair them free of charge if you crash and damage them.
Check his line of jackets and pants. You won't find anything like them.

Again....pricey but you're more than worth it!

^^^^ another motoport fan......hmmmmmmm:eyebrow:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^^ another motoport fan......hmmmmmmm:eyebrow:

I know a few people that use their gear and they like it. One of my friends ended up a little uncomfortable after a long ride because one of his armor shields in his Kevlar jeans has to be shortened a little. He also went down in that gears and nothing burned through. His thumb got pinched by a broken clutch lever through the Kevlar racing gloves he was wearing. It was a very sharp object with a lot of force but the rest of the glove held up great.
As you can imagine we get a lot of time to test gear out here. :eek: :rolleyes::rockon:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I know a few people that use their gear and they like it. One of my friends ended up a little uncomfortable after a long ride because one of his armor shields in his Kevlar jeans has to be shortened a little. He also went down in that gears and nothing burned through. His thumb got pinched by a broken clutch lever through the Kevlar racing gloves he was wearing. It was a very sharp object with a lot of force but the rest of the glove held up great.
As you can imagine we get a lot of time to test gear out here. :eek: :rolleyes::rockon:

i like the kevlar gloves because they can withstand a lot of wet/dry cycles without deteriorating. i wish it had some armor, like the spidi race vents i have.
i put 12,000 miles on the spidis and they have held up exceptionally well. i am really impressed. the stitching and leather are still looking good.
(i wonder what those cows were eating....) i doubt the gloves will last another 12,000 miles, however.

anyways...i just wished wayne would add some deflexion (top layer of the quad armor) to his gloves, especially in the wrist area. if he did then it would be the glove to end all gloves. i won't have to buy any new summer gloves ever again.......

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for chiming in guys. I am still debating getting these, or a pair of over the boot textile pants. While these seem to be great pants I feel I will only be wearing them for more serious riding sessions. Around town, I will probably revert to the jeans, as leather pants with boots over the top is a bit much. Maybe I will just have to get these, and get a textile pant later on for my around town trips.

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
Came across the Shift Havoc Leather/Textile Pants today. From the get go, I was hoping to avoid tucking the pants into my boots, but felt I was going to have to suck it up and tuck them in. But with these, I wouldn't have to, and still get the protection of leathers. With the more casual look of these, I feel that I would want to wear them more often than the A-10 pants, so that means less time riding in jeans, which is a huge plus. The con here is that my jacket is A* and these are Shift, but with the included zipper, I could get that taken care of for fairly cheap I would assume. Looks like they are also going to be fairly warm at 85+ or so, but I think the trade off in level of protection will be worth it.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Came across the Shift Havoc Leather/Textile Pants today. From the get go, I was hoping to avoid tucking the pants into my boots, but felt I was going to have to suck it up and tuck them in. But with these, I wouldn't have to, and still get the protection of leathers. With the more casual look of these, I feel that I would want to wear them more often than the A-10 pants, so that means less time riding in jeans, which is a huge plus. The con here is that my jacket is A* and these are Shift, but with the included zipper, I could get that taken care of for fairly cheap I would assume. Looks like they are also going to be fairly warm at 85+ or so, but I think the trade off in level of protection will be worth it.

Almost sounds like you should go for an overpant. That would give you the option of having protection and a variety of pants to wear to work. Also an over pant should give you the option of inside/outside the boot.
Here's an example: ultra ii kevlar pant

Not cheap but these last forever and are washable. He repairs these free of charge if you damage them.

Another way is to buy the cheaper riding pants and change into street pants when you get to work.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the A-10's. Love 'em! They are very comfortable, and have some decent padding and armor. They're not too hot in the summer, and they keep me warm in the winter. They're just a really good all around pant. My only gripe is they could be a touch longer, as they barely reach my boots. These are regular 8" boots mind you, not riding boots. If they were about 1/2-1" longer they'd be perfect. But they're close enough as is for me!

I would highly recommend trying some on. Riding pants are far less forgiving in their fit than jackets or even gloves can be. You really do need to try on different kinds to find what fits, then go from there.

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
As for trying anything on, I am having no luck. All of the dealers around don't have anything I want, and will only order with 100% confirmation that I will be buying it, which does me no good. The Havoc pants came in the other day, but of course, I ordered the wrong size. So, new pair will be in on Tuesday. If the new pair fits better, I think I will end up keeping them. Biggest issue with them, however, is the knee armor. It is pretty basic, and because the pants are made to be a bit looser, the armor would be all over the place in a slide, doing no good. Nothing that these Dainese Knee V couldn't fix, however. And if I had to get them, if I ever do ride in jeans, I could easily throw them on under to feel a little better about it.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As for trying anything on, I am having no luck. All of the dealers around don't have anything I want, and will only order with 100% confirmation that I will be buying it, which does me no good. The Havoc pants came in the other day, but of course, I ordered the wrong size. So, new pair will be in on Tuesday. If the new pair fits better, I think I will end up keeping them. Biggest issue with them, however, is the knee armor. It is pretty basic, and because the pants are made to be a bit looser, the armor would be all over the place in a slide, doing no good. Nothing that these Dainese Knee V couldn't fix, however. And if I had to get them, if I ever do ride in jeans, I could easily throw them on under to feel a little better about it.

Know what you mean about finding pants in stock. I went to Cycle Gear in 2 different parts of town and one had the A-10's but the wrong size.
The knee/shin guards are a lot better than nothing. I have a set made by Icon that I also wear under my jeans if I'm just headed around the block. Generally I feel naked without my leather.
Good luck on your fitting.

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site