Aftermarket horn (wolo) died

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I noticed last time I rode that my horn wasn't working. Today, when wiring up my HID projector headlights, I took a look at the situation. I checked the wiring and verified that the switch was working and I was getting full voltage to the horn. Unfortunately, that means that my aftermarket wolo low tone horn died.

Luckily, I still had the stock horn laying around, so I installed that. Boy, I forgot how weak the factory horn was. Maybe it's time for my to look into buying one of those cool natilus air horns that a lot of you have. Then again, with all of the wiring that I've been adding to my fairing (heated grips, HID headlights) I probably won't have room to install the thing....

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Another option, is to get another Wolo, or some other aftermarket horn, and wire it to a relay which then goes to the battery. For one thing, this will prevent the motorcycles' OEM switch from burning up(they can't handle much current). Secondly, the horn will then actually be getting sufficient current to operate at maximum volume. You'd be surprised at how many amps even a cheap Wolo can pull(aftermarket horns are usually between 7-15amps). And yes, it's usually around twice what an OEM horn will pull. I put a Wolo horn on my TW200, and I tried it both with and without a relay, and let me tell you, with the relay it was noticeably louder. I scared myself the first time I honked at someone. lol It's always a good idea to add a relay, no matter what horn your using. It protects the hard to replace switch, and can provide more current than the horn could possibly use. Also, a relay doesn't take up much space at all. You could easily mount it near the battery for example.

Let me tell you, our horns are pretty weak, but at least they're somewhat audible. Now the horn that was on my TW, now THAT was a weak horn. As the rider, I could barely hear it! It was this weak little *meep meep* sound, kind of like the roadrunner from the cartoons. Pathetic! lol

Last edited:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on adding a relay for the horn. actually is surprising you did not burn out the horn switch. I have the wolo highway blaster horns both low and high tones and they work great. very happy with them.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
LER-
the toughest part is finding a place to mount dual horns. I put one in the stock location and one in the left fairing. The relay wiring is really pretty simple. Do this mod!! I can help you out if you want some pointers

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
i believe the wolos are the same as other makes, whereas they need to be installed as vertically as possible. not sure why, water ingestion maybe? not sure how yours was mounted, but that may be a possibility.

i have fiamm blasters (hi and lo) on my zrx and theyre pretty loud.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I have one mounted in the stock location using the stock bracket and yes, it is mounted sideways.. works perfect.. no issues in 5,000 miles of riding. the other one is located in the left fairing and is vertical.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
The wolo horn that I had wasn't one of their higher end horns, just a round disc horn like the stock unit, only a little larger. I mounted it near the stock position, but differently since I changed around, modified, moved bracket when doing the R6 fork/brake installation.

Yes, I probably should have put a relay on it, but I never got around to it. Actually, maybe I should test the horn with a wire straight to the battery, just in case the switch IS on the way out. The mode of failure was that pressing the horn button would emit a short muted "meep" the very first time that the horn button was pressed, and then nothing ever again unless I let it sit for a long time.

I didn't suspect the switch, since it works with the stock horn, but I didn't really try to see if the horn might still work when hooked straight to the battery.

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
if its the stock style horn, you may have a rock or something jammed between the two plates, thus absorbing and muffling any vibration for the horn sound. hooking it to the battery is worth a shot too...i might throw a fuse in line in the event the horn is bad.