Advisability of occassional riding

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
Just for point of clarification, you've been riding for 2.5 years and have a 5 and 7 year old. This means you bought the bike while having a 2.5 year old and a 4.5 year old. How are things any different now than they were back then?

I know a lot of the guys on this forum are going to disagree with me, but I don't plan to keep riding when I start having kids for the exact same reasons you mentioned. The risk of leaving them father-less is not worth the enjoyment the bike brings me. I'll likely pick up riding again when the kids are old enough to fend for themselves (16-18ish). So if you asked me, I'd say you shouldn't have been riding in the first place 2.5 years ago.

Given that, I do love to ride and I ride as often as humanly possible (almost daily). I'm extremely glad I've gotten the few years of riding that I've gotten so far and don't plan to stop until kids come into the picture. It's a hard addiction to kick.

Tough decision, but ,I did exactly this and didn't regret it for a second. Minimizing risks to raise my kids equaled peace of mind for me.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
You can be an occasionaly rider and still be safe. And you can be a parent and a rider and not have to feel guilty about it. I have had more negative comments when people who know I have a 5 month old find out I ride (or people who know I ride find out I have a 5-month old), but you just have to push it aside...although since you are a dad and not a mom, you probably don't get the negatives as often as I do.

Anyway, my point is, you need to make whatever decision is right for you. I know I have cut back on my riding time a lot and it drives me nuts. But, most of that has nothing to do with my baby and has more to do with the changing seasons and my schedule (although in the beginning of the summer it was the healing from childbirth, so I guess her "fault" if you will). If you cut back a bit for a while and find that you have the itch more than a weekend ride can scratch, then the rewards are probably more prominent than the risks for you. If you find that you don't miss it, then consider putting it away for a while, or just keeping the bike for the occasional ride.

No one said you have to make this decision right this second. Take your time with it and try it out.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting thread!

Good luck with your decision cv_rider! I can't really help you with it, because I ask myself the same thing... What Keira says above makes sense, i.e. "You can be an occasionaly rider and still be safe" until some car goes through a red light, takes you out and you're dead. Then this logic suddenly changes. I used to think the same way until a good friend died while riding last year, and since then I am not sure what to think anymore... but I still ride (stopped commuting in LA traffic though, as I felt that was a good way to decrease the risk at least a little...)... I don't think there's a right or wrong decision, but Keira said it again: it's a decision you need to make for yourself and your family. My personal opinion is that if we all could REALLY grasp the risks we take by riding motorcycles, most of us would probably stop...

I love riding but I don't have kids yet. When/if I do, I'm switching to the track. I know a few guys who have done this and I think it's very admirable - the joy you get out of riding on the street, no matter how much you love it, is not worth altering the futures of multiple people for the worse.

This discussion could have its own thread, but I am not sure the track is much safer than the streets... yes, there are no cars to make left handers in front of you, or dogs crossing the street, or ppl driving through red lights, or 1" thick gravel around that blind corner... etc... but that doesn't make the track a "safe place"...
Most ppl will push it as hard as they can on the track, so under these conditions, things happen... and I haven't gone to a track day without at least half a dozen crashes throughout the day...
Between rider error, other ppl crashing into you, someone spilling cooling liquid or oil on the track (ask Cali Rider, he went down @ 110mph with a knee down because of cooling liquid, and it was a miracle he came out with barely any injuries), mechanical failure, etc, etc, the track is hardly a "safe place" and ppl die on the track pretty frequently...

I am not trying to discourage ppl from going to the track, I think it's the best thing ever when it comes to motorcycling, but going to the track doesn't make riding a safe hobby :thumbup:

Last edited:

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I understand 100% what you are saying here....I was in the same situation
20 years ago and sold my FZ600, was only to be a temporary absence
from riding, 'til the kids grew up a bit and I had more time....I would not do
it the same given the chance...once the bike and gear are gone and it's out
of your life for awhile it's very difficult for a family guy to get back riding,
there will always be money/time constraints preventing it, and the Domestic
Engineer will be secretly steering you this way....keep the bike if you can,
ride carefully and remember that dads are allowed to live a bit too, good luck

Last edited:

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My personal opinion is that if we all could REALLY grasp the risks we take by riding motorcycles, most of us would probably stop...

Exactly! I'll be riding along and suddenly think of bad things that could happen ahead, ie. a flock of cars driving irrationally on the freeway, crap on the road, etc. I just try to remind myself that this is a risky activity, but if I try to minimize and manage the risks I'll be OK. Sort of a confidence-building exercise while riding that also reminds me of the skills I should be using, like the SEE technique taught by MSF.

Good thread.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My dad rode all of his life.

When I was around 7 he sold his bike. Before he had sold it I was old enough to make him promise he would take me for a ride, but one day I came outside and people were riding it away. For a long time I tried to make him feel really bad about it.

Of course I started riding dirt bikes a few years later with friends and not too long after had my own. When I was 17 I bought my own street bike and have been street riding since.

I share most things I love with my father, I'm sort of his exact copy. He has taught me so so much of what I know so I can relate with just about everything to him. I can go out and do something I enjoy and I could take my dad with me and we could both have a good time.

I would love to share riding with my dad. I'd love to go out for a ride with him, maybe to a car show, or to go shooting, or just out on some country roads. But, he's been out of the game for so long, I can't convince him to get another bike and try to get back into it. He has kept his endorsement, but I just can't convince him.

Maybe if he would have kept the bike, and rode at least occasionally, we would be able to share riding today. Maybe not. I guess it is all what you want out of it. The bike could be a tool to teach ownership and responsibility to your children. It may be a tool to use to spend time with your children if they end up enjoying bikes and want to ride themselves. I know you're in for a hard decision, but I hope my point of view of seeing it from the other side may help you.

Not every accident is preventable in my opinion because there are always exceptions to the rule, but my driving instructor, what a character he was, had a saying about them: "There are no such things as accidents, only crashes". You have some control over what happens to you on the road.

Just remember it is dangerous to do anything, and good luck with your decision and your family.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, what a lot of great insights! When we on this forum aren't comparing notes on how to do power wheelies, we are quite a thoughtful bunch.

Norm's comments of trading the bike for a stick shift car has been tickling my brain for a few days. The one that has caught my imagination is the MGB roadster from the mid-70s. A friend of mine had one years ago and I rode in it once or twice, really caught my imagination. In many ways, this type of car would satisfy a lot of the things I enjoy about motocycling:
* Wind in the face feeling of being outside
* Makes commuting (the bane of many's existence) into something I look forward to
* A machine to lavish money and time on as a hobby.
* Makes me feel cool. I don't care about if other people think I'm cool, but motorcycling makes my most important customer (me) feel cool.

In some ways, it would be better than a motorcycle, mainly in that I could share it with members of my family. I could imagine my kids fighting over who got to ride in it with me. I'd feel confident going somewhere with my wife in it (taking my wife on the FZ6 is almost unfathomable, as the concern about the kids losing one parent is nothing compared to the thought of losing two).

I haven't had much time to ride the FZ6 recently, but the next few times I do, I'm going to be concentrating on what I really like about being on a motorcycle. While some of my most enjoyable and memorable times over the last couple of years have been on the motorcycle, there are quite a few times where I feel I'm chasing a rainbow of motorcycling bliss that never quite materializes. Occassionally I wonder if my enjoyment of motorcycling is really my own emotion or something that has been programmed into me by things I've read and people I've talked to.

When it comes to soul-searching decisions, I usually make a tentative decision, and see how it feels over the next few weeks. I've not allocated any weekend time to a ride recently, partly to see how I felt about not doing it. I know a few people who have had MGBs, and I'm interested in talking to them about it. Ironically, the day after I started pondering this, I saw an MGB in a parking lot, painted cherry red, and it just looked soooooo nice. Swapping the FZ6 for an MGB would be approximately a wash cost-wise (although MGB would be much more expensive to maintain going forward). In many ways, it makes sense, but something about it doesn't quite sit right, not quite sure what it is. So more soul-searching ahead.

Thanks for all the comments!

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I have made up my mind to "hang up the spurs" for a while, and now have the bike up on Craigslist, so it could be gone any day now (although part of me wants it to take quite a while...) Makes me sad to think about it, but it is the best decision for me. So much of it has to do with a person's mentality. I tend to analyze things extensively, and that leads me to thinking about all those dreadful "what if" scenarios. If I wasn't quite so analytical, I'd likely put more faith in my gut feeling that I-ride-safe-it-won't-happen-to-me and get on with life without so much worrying. But we are who we are.

I do intend to come back to it again in 10 years or so, when my kids are teenagers, and I have a bit more time to do my own thing. I'm willing to risk my own well being for the enjoyment of riding, but not the kids' daddy. In the meantime, I'll be spending more time on my road bike, mountain bike, and restoring an MGB!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Like others have said, the responsible thing to do, especially if you ride is get a nice junk of Life Insurance, so in the event something bad happens, you know you can RIP knowing that your family is well off financially for a while. But don't get too much, or you might just get whacked.

You can minimize your risks riding your bike. The lists were mentioned, stop commuting, do track days only, take it to the dirt where you can get your whole family involved, etc. But remember, your entire life is a risk, people die accidentally everyday, especially in car accidents. People are killed everyday from violent crimes, you will never know when you might become a victim.

I love to ride. If I die enjoying what I do, then I won't mind. So I guess I'm telling the guy upstairs that If I had a choice, that's the way I want to go.

Life is too short, you could be here today and gone tommorow. You never know so everyone should live their life to the fullest. Go on that dream vacation, buy that sports car you always wanted, go ride that motorcycle if you love to ride.

I truly believe that 99 percent of all motorcycle crashes are preventable regardless who might be at fault. But remember, bad decisions equals bad results so it only takes one. Choose your path of travel wisely. If you have the mental knowledge and the skills and abilities to control your bike, wear all your gear, you will be fine. The crashes that you see and hear in the news are mostly because the rider's do not have both requirements that I just mentioned. Yes, even the best riders will and have gone down, but that's why I said 99 percent.

My two cents.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I truly believe that 99 percent of all motorcycle crashes are preventable regardless who might be at fault.

That statement resonates - my heart yearns to convince my mind of it! The ironic thing, Vegasrider, is that it was your post of narrowly avoiding a illegal left turning taxi that tipped me over the edge towards selling the bike. I know I'm not as skilled a rider as you and using the horn isn't my panic response. I doubt I would have avoided the potential accident that you barely avoided through both swerving and using the horn. If it had been me, I would have t-boned the taxi and broken bones at the very least a second later. Somehow that image really stuck in my mind, and started a lot of soul searching.

Dustin

MotorBoatin Son of a Btch
Reaction score
Visit site
SELL THE KIDS, KEEP THE BIKE!!!

j/k, you decide your own fate......

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Several people have spoken about it but I want to say it again because it is that important. LIFE INSURANCE. With two kids you should be carrying a ridiculous policy. Enough money to pay off the entire families debts plus whatever would be necessary for your family to contiue living the same lifestyle as if you were alive for the next 10+ years. Yes the policy is going to be another bill but the "comfort" it provides is worth it.

youngGun

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 7 month old son and have never considered selling the bike. My Dad and even my mom had dirt bikes and street bikes while i was growing up, hell my dad had me on a power wheels four wheeler on my first birth day and a 50cc four wheeler on my third, and bought me my first dirt bike for my fifth birthday.(Yamaha PW50 Red and White with gold wheels it was sick! lol). My parents supported me through 13 years of racing motocross, stitches,broken bones, and trashed motorcycles, and i love them for it. I plan to get my son on a bike as soon as possible, and start riding together! :rockon: The enjoyment and peace riding gives me is incredible and i cant ever dream of hanging my helmet up. I know i have a responsibility to my son and my family, but i also feel you go when its your time. If riding makes you worry more than it puts a smile on your face then maybe hanging up the helmet until you feel comfortable again is the right thing. In the end its all up to you. Good Luck

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I have made up my mind to "hang up the spurs" for a while, and now have the bike up on Craigslist, so it could be gone any day now (although part of me wants it to take quite a while...) Makes me sad to think about it, but it is the best decision for me. So much of it has to do with a person's mentality. I tend to analyze things extensively, and that leads me to thinking about all those dreadful "what if" scenarios. If I wasn't quite so analytical, I'd likely put more faith in my gut feeling that I-ride-safe-it-won't-happen-to-me and get on with life without so much worrying. But we are who we are.

I do intend to come back to it again in 10 years or so, when my kids are teenagers, and I have a bit more time to do my own thing. I'm willing to risk my own well being for the enjoyment of riding, but not the kids' daddy. In the meantime, I'll be spending more time on my road bike, mountain bike, and restoring an MGB!

It takes a mature man to do that. Props to you. :thumbup:

naracy79

Reaction score
Visit site
accidents

I would just like to tell my story, I am 30 years old and when I was in highschool I rode anything that had a motor, i really like racing and trail riding with my honda NX125, but I always wanted to get a bigger street legal bike, so I left for the military and never gotten a bike till I hit my 30's, I moved to San Antonio,TX seeming this would be a good place with nice weather year around to ride a bike to work, so I took a riders safety course and gotten my license. After I gotten everything I needed then it was time to purchase the bike, I choosen the 08 Raven FZ6 it was calling my name. The bike only had 4000 miles on it, it was like brand new. So I bought the bike and I geared up with a Gmax helmet with led lights on the back of the helmet, I have First Gear jacket and pants and regular military boots and a neon yellow/green reflective vest. I've been riding my bike for a month and a half to work, without any problems except for the normal idiot car drivers. I noticed when I gotten the bike that the tires were gonna need to be replaced soon, so I called my guy and he ordered the tires and I drove the bike to where I bought it from to install the tires, so after the install I drove the bike home. I noticed it was misting out whiled driving home, so I slowed down alittle so I wouldn't have a spill and it was a pretty well lit and traveled 4 lane street. At the time there was no one in front of me or behind me when all of a sudden a car strikes me from behind and I go flying off my bike and then get run over by the car and the car doesn't even stop,"hit-and-run" when I hit the pavement it knocked the wind out of me and my helmet had scraped all down the sides, my safety gloves where lying in the middle of the street, my hands felt like they were broken but I was able to move them and my fingers, My back was killing me but I was able to walk into the ambulance, the police said this was not uncommon around here and thought that was great, so it insured me that they weren't gonna put any effort into finding these people and I don't know where you are but here its a Felony to do a hit and run and is punishable of up to 2-10 years in prison. There was no coverage of this on the news to even help find the culprits thats why I say I am done with bikes in this city... People in San Antonio don't know how, have no insurance or are not supposed to be in driving the first place.. excuse me for this: but I would like to take a louiseville slugger to the face of the person that ran me over and factured my pelvic bone, I would like to take to swings and then I would take him to the hospital cause I have compassion>>> The hit and run happened on Nov 19, 2009. I would like to thank god for giving me a little longer on this Earth, so I can be with family and friends and able to tell my story to all my motorcycle family ( you all)..Thank you for reading my story.. ITs a shame when people say you have to learn the hard way, when you shouldn't have to learn a lesson for doing something you love and you didn't do anything to deserve someone else wrong doing, your at there mercy: thats BS!!!!

Last edited:

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a newborn and a 3 year old and just recently started riding again and I really enjoy it, my wife and everyone else think I'm crazy.

What I know TRULY with all my heart is that I am in my LORD'S hands and anything that will ever happen to me good or bad is something that He has to allow.

Everything I have, He gave to me and everything I own is his, he made everything and everything on this earth is His, including us.

I am in His hands and obey His commandments and whatever He wants to happen will happen, my faith in Him tells me that whatever the outcome, GOD IS IN CONTROL!

When I leave here I go to him and what a WONDERFUL DAY that will be. I know that when I'm gone he will also take care of my wife and my daughters out of love for me and my faith in Him tells me that this is true beyond reproach.