Advice?

AcesLA07

Reaction score
Visit site
So I laid down my bike at the beginning of this summer. Well 2 weeks ago I got all the touchups and repairs done. Then trailered it to a dealership in hopes to trade for a black/red gsxr600 that I found. Well the dealership was way too high. Well on the way home the bike fell over on the trailer and recracked a crack in the front cowling and broke the passenger handle completely off the brake side. And to top it off the paint the shop used didn't really matched and I noticed moisture in one of my headlights where I guess it didn't seal back properly. So needless to say I've got some money to spend on it if I want it back in great shape. Well I'm thinking about just selling it. To be honest, I'm not that happy with it, I want a supersport and with all the crap that's wrong with my fz6 I figured I'll just list it on Craigslist and take the hit on money. Then save up throughout the winter and catch a sweet deal on the gsxr for about $2+k more than what I sell my fz6 for. So is this a good plan? Is it worth the $2+k hit?

iRoNyX

Reaction score
Visit site
If I understand you correctly, you are saying this: I crashed my bike, got half-assed repairs done, and then dropped it again while unloading it from a trailer... and now I want to take a monetary loss to get a brand new bike.

OK, so here's the thing about that... Why get a new bike when you can't keep your old one upright? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I am serious here... Why not keep the FZ6, do some minor repairs for now to get it back on the road, and ride it another season or two until you've got the skills and confidence (and experience) to know that you won't likely be crashing or dropping it again any time soon... and THEN go get the shiny new bike that you actually want?

Like what makes you think that all of your problems are going to go away just because you got a new bike? I promise you it won't magically fix all of your problems or make you a better rider... It won't keep you from crashing/dropping it as well.

You've already done the damage to the fizz: keep it for now, learn on it, and when you're confident and really ready, go get the toy you really want. In the mean time, who cares if you drop or crash it again - it's already happened! :)

That's my advice, cold and harsh.

-Dave

AcesLA07

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I understand that. It only dropped on the trailer bc a strap broke. Not really my fault there bu tI know what you're saying.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with iRoNyX above, since the FZ6 is trashed, why not use it to improve your riding skill first. A new bike will not improve your riding ability, and then you have to worry about a shiny new bike. The main difference between a FZ6 and a GSXR600 is riding position, you will not magically become faster and smoother. I have seen many guys on Ninja 250's out corner people on CBR600's and other super sports. Keep the Fizzer and use it as a learning tool, once mastered, then get a GSXR600.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
seems unlikely you'd get a gixxer for $2k more than a trashed FZ6. Even minor cosmetic damage severely reduces the value. Makes any prospective buyer wonder if it's really a salvage title, unsafe, hidden damage, etc. It would be quite hard to sell, I'd think. I might consider buying a trashed car, but not a trashed motorcycle.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
you should do what you want, if you've soured on the FZ6 'cause it's frigged
up and can handle the financial hit to deal it like that, go do it...what I don't get
is that the dealer was too high on the new one, but you trailered your trade in anyway, wrecking it further in the process...did you not do any shopping for
the new one first? strange story, I can't figure out what it is you want the
membership here to offer

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm curious why you didn't ride it to the dealer. If I was a dealer I would be suspicious of any proposed trade in that didn't arrive under its own power, and my offer would reflect this.

AcesLA07

Reaction score
Visit site
I trailered it because a) it was pouring and rained here literally 10 days in a row and b) my parents would not let me ride it in downtown nashville traffic. I did do my research thoroughly on that bike before I got so involved with the trade. I found it on Craigslist and I should have gotten that bike for my bike and $1200 but they were idiots.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I were you I would stick to 4 wheels.

Aces you need to read through your threads in this post. Don`t mean to diss you but you just whine and whine and whine and nothing appears to be your fault.

Suck it in man and just get on with whatever you want to do. After all it is your bike.

Steve

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
let me make sure i have a few things straight first.

- you wrecked your bike. i have no clue why you wrecked to start off with. could have been gravel you didn't see... taking a corner too hot... trying to miss a dog... who knows. so that's not an automatic red flag.

- the fixes weren't fixes... in all kindness, this should be a lesson. when you get work done you need to make sure it is right before you pay and leave. because you can't take it back and get it fixed now that you've messed it up again.

- stinks that your strap broke. sorry to hear about that.

- you say your parents won't let you drive in downtown nashville traffic. this lets me know a few things. (1) you are under 18. if not then time to move out of the house ;) (2) if you're under 18 then you don't have that much street riding experience. i would guess maybe a season's worth of riding... so a few months maybe?

- you have a dream of owning a gixxer - which in N.A. is the most wrecked and stolen motorcycle.

with all of that here's what i'll say.

first, i don't think the fz6 is a beginner's bike. there isn't much difference between it and a SS. but since you already have it we need to move on.

the main difference besides the plastics is the riding position. you could get some rear-sets and clip-ons and call it a day. you have your aggressive riding position.

second, so you have a bike you don't like. YOU'RE STILL LIVING WITH YOUR PARENTS AND HAVE A BIKE! dude, i would have taken ANY bike while still under my mom's thumb. i think you just need to stop and count your blessings before worrying about getting THE bike you want.

from a purely financial standpoint i would hold onto what you have. make the mods to make it more of what you want and fix the things that need to be fixed. in a season or two you'll have more riding experience. hopefully your bike will be in better shape because you've been working on it. you'll be able to get more money for it. that's more money to put towards the dream bike. and when you get the dream bike you will have the confidence and experience to hopefully keep it shiny side up for as long as you have it.

that last paragraph is from experience. i could not afford a motorcycle so a friend gave me one. it was a touring bike that was so not my style. but i rode it for a few seasons. now i have a nice shiny fz6 and couldn't be happier. you've got time on your side. have patience.

lastly, if you haven't, you should sign up for a basic riders course. they are a great benefit, fun and cheap.

good luck with your decision. let us know what you decide to do.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man...that's some bad luck you have had there...no wonder your feeling bummed.....My advice, go have a beer, and work out what you want to do for yourself.

hope things get better.

:rockon:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep the bike and learn to ride properly. If it is that damaged, throw a lever on it, strip the lights and plastics and use that money you were willing to spend extra on the other bike to take the FZ6 to the track for a few track days. You'll get a world of knowledge from those few days on the track and since the bike is already damaged, who cares if you drop it on the track?

After that, you'll be ready for the gixxer. Good luck! I know you're a young man but please heed the well intentioned advice from all these experienced riders. ;)