Adjusting clutch cable

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
I can adjust the cable at the handlebar end but is there a way to adjust at the motor end without taking the battery and air box out? Clutch cable...not throttle cable. How can I change the title?
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the lever adjuster on its last threads or what's up?

If you can't get what you need from the top, yes - dig deeper and remove the airbox. With the right tools its a ten minute job.

Hint: 3.0mm long allan driver on an extension to loosen TB couplers. Buy a 3mm allan, cut it off and insert it into a 3mm socket on a 1/4" drive. A total length of 6" is a good starting point to reach the air box. Also - use a ball socket for greater range of wirking angle...
Good luck!

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, seems like the threads are pretty close and would feel better if I could get to the other end first. Thanks for the heads up on the allen wrench!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles since 2007 and what kind use does it get?
Mines an 08 w 25,000 and no cable stretch but I don't sit in traffic much.

The reason I add this; inspection may find your cable is failing and time spent may be better off replacing it. Just a thought as its nearly the same amount of labor.

I lube mine every 2500 mi or so and it pulls very easy.

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the from a dealer used..about 11,500 miles, lubed for the first time last week when I put some new levers on. Been mostly riding to and from work since I've had it, about a year. Weather has been crappy lately so haven't had a real good ride on it yet. New lever feels a little stiff, hopefully will loosen up in a bit.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You can easily adjust the mid adjuster WITHOUT pulling the air box, lifting the tank etc.

Inside the left side of the frame, follow the cable. You'll see it runs thru a zip tie to the frame.

Simply cut that zip tie (the cable isn't going anywhere), disconnect both ends of the cable and you can easily pull the cable
down to access the adjuster. Way easier than lifting the tank, filter, etc.. Makes replacement simpler too..

I cut that cable at least 3 years ago, NEVER had the air box off either...

Just a side note, I have mine adjusted at the top at 3 turns out at the handlebar lever. Just enough to remove the cable for maintainance

Last edited:

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried everything under the sun to reach the engine side adjustor without having to take extra stuff off, but to no avail. You'll need a long extension or two and a ratchet to get the throttle bodies off, as there's four little bolts underneath which are a pain to reach. Just loosen them - don't take them off and drop them down below like I did (it's the worst game of hide and seek I've ever played).

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cable is top left... Given the age of these bikes its not a bad idea to pull the A/B to inspect the hoses and make sure all is well!

attachment.php

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
Do I have to take the battery out first before the airbox or the battery doesn't have to come out at all? Where are those 3mm bolts?

Got them!

Last edited: