A little fun with the welder

awdmzr

Road Warrior
Reaction score
Visit site
Ended up with this:

img00080201009171208.jpg

Going to try this for a bit, if I'm not happy with it I'm going to make some mirror mount brackets, or a mounting point farther forward. Right now it's the furthest forward point that has a solid mounting location without cutting and away from the body work.

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
Ended up with this:

img00080201009171208.jpg

Going to try this for a bit, if I'm not happy with it I'm going to make some mirror mount brackets, or a mounting point farther forward. Right now it's the furthest forward point that has a solid mounting location without cutting and away from the body work.

Yo "Capo79" - you said (w/o rancor, I'm sure :) ) WRT my engine cage and highway pegs posting, "...That mod really screwed up the looks of your bike, dude." Wha'cha thunk of this one? To each their own :), eh?? :BLAA:

(back on thread)
To the OP - looks like I'm now going to have go get a welder and learn how to weld :thumbup: :spank: 'cause there's sum'in else I've been mulling around in my (what's that in my head that does the thunkin'...., oh, yeah, :BLAA:) brain which might require some welding. Hope your "mod" works out for you...if it increases your margin of safety (as I assuME the mod was intended to do), wooHOOOO

philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know how to say this without sounding like the forum d***, however, you made this post seeking opinions on your work:

It's hideous...

Need extra light - do a HID conversion...

Need louder horns - tuck them under the cowl...

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you like it, good for you....are those outdoor speakers?

You'll definitely have tons of light:thumbup:

How about some pics of the brackets you fabricated??

awdmzr

Road Warrior
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know how to say this without sounding like the forum d***, however, you made this post seeking opinions on your work:

It's hideous...

Need extra light - do a HID conversion...

Need louder horns - tuck them under the cowl...

Thanks for the opinion. I'll be sure to not send you a set at Christmas. I have reasons for doing it the way that I did. Besides, wouldn't it be boring if all of our bikes looked exactly the same?

I choose function over form. Just wait until you see what else I come up with. I'm challenging myself to mod within my budget, this cost me $6 and is perfect for someone like me who likes to change things all the time, since it can come off in 3 minutes and I can go back to stock. Right now I'm saving up for more angle steel and some re-bar. Next up is some saddlebag stand-offs and an engine cage... One more hour of overtime and I'll have all the necessary supplies paid off :)

Look for other mod threads coming soon...

awdmzr

Road Warrior
Reaction score
Visit site
If you like it, good for you....are those outdoor speakers?

You'll definitely have tons of light:thumbup:

How about some pics of the brackets you fabricated??

Still have some torsional rigidity issues to work out with the brackets, but nothing that a few minutes with the welder can't fix. I'll take some more detailed pics once that's done.

Hanging off the bottom are Hella Supertone horns. 118dB @ 300Hz on one side and 500Hz on the other.

philosopheriam

Reaction score
Visit site
I choose function over form. Just wait until you see what else I come up with

So, my question is why do form and function have to be mutually exclusive?

I am a fabricator myself, and one of the fundamental challenges (this is what makes fabrication fun, too), is to create things that solve a problem yet also look aesthetically pleasing.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice job...it definitely is "a bold statement", and if your on a "budget", then you make do with what you have at your disposal...so in this case, your results will be much better vison, and increased awreness in an emergency situation...cant wait to see your next lot of mods.

:thumbup:

awdmzr

Road Warrior
Reaction score
Visit site
How much power are you going to be drawing to run them? Will your battery be able to handle the draw?

I don't plan to run them for any extended period of time so it's not going to be an issue. More of a 'can you see me now?' kinda thing.

So, my question is why do form and function have to be mutually exclusive?

They don't. I think they look just fine, beauty being in the eye of the beholder and all.

philosopheriam

Reaction score
Visit site
Fair enough - I'm working on a custom fender eliminator right now.

With the additional vibration from an aftermarket exhaust system, I've had problems with the poly fender eliminators cracking at the bends.

I'm making one out of 16ga sheet steel, LED turn signals and and LED license plate light. It will fasten the the rear bracket that is closest to the back of the mufflers - no need for the front bracket that drops down between the two cans (I have Leo's).

I may integrate the reflectors from the original fender, but I haven't decided yet.

Will post pics when progress is being made - I recently had my tonsils removed so I've been outta commission the last week.

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
something tells me youre not going to get 50 mpg anymore!:D

seriously, how many watts those things draw? will she handle it?

im all for being able to make something useful...i wish i could weld:(

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
After looking at it again,It's not soooo bad.I just think it would work better (aesthetically) With smaller lights that didn't stick out so far.
Whole thing is it's your bike,your work.

It's harder to make something,than it is to just bolt something on :thumbup: