44T rear sprocket

SeaPup

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday afternoon I installed a 44T 530 Rear Afam sprocket on my 2008 FZ6. I took it out for a ride and really liked how the bike performed, I did noticed a wired noise which I thought was the chain. This morning riding to work I noticed the noise again and noticed the noise on the ride home. I thought maybe my chain was either misaligned or loose so I spent some time realigning the chain and tightening it up. Took the FZ6 out for a ride this evening and the noise still persisted and this time I believe the noise was not coming from my chain but possibly the engine. My 08 has 1400 miles on it so the chain is fairly new. I ended up ripping the bike apart and putting the stock 46T sprocket back on. The Terrible noise I was hearing is now gone.

Has anyone else tried 16/44 setup and if so have you noticed a weird chain or engine noise. Usually I could hear it best when vehicles were beside me. So my mod for trying to get a extra 2 or 3 mpg is shot to 8hit.

SeaPup

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, I really wanted to keep the 44T on because I liked the way the bike was performing, however the noise was loud and I could not pin point the noise and If I could hear the noise with my Scorpion pipes the cages could definitely hear the noise too. I even thought maybe my valves were making the noise but the noise only occurred while the bike was moving and when I first put the sprocket on and spun the rear wheel with my hand I thought the new sprocket and OEM chain made a unusually loud noise.

Back to stock and noise is gone.

SeaPup

Reaction score
Visit site
well that's what I was wondering....
The sprocket from AFAM says it is a 44t 530 aluminum sprocket.

What I have guessed is that the stock chain DID 50V4 on my 2008 FZ6 is
a 530 chain, I have not been able to find anything that says the DID 50V4 is indeed a 530 chain.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
For some reason every aftermarket chain or sprocket i have installed has made a noise. I'm not sure why it does it, but the aftermarkets seem to do it. The chain will make a poping noise if it is on crooked, so keep that in mind.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday afternoon I installed a 44T 530 Rear Afam sprocket on my 2008 FZ6. I took it out for a ride and really liked how the bike performed, I did noticed a wired noise which I thought was the chain. This morning riding to work I noticed the noise again and noticed the noise on the ride home. I thought maybe my chain was either misaligned or loose so I spent some time realigning the chain and tightening it up. Took the FZ6 out for a ride this evening and the noise still persisted and this time I believe the noise was not coming from my chain but possibly the engine. My 08 has 1400 miles on it so the chain is fairly new. I ended up ripping the bike apart and putting the stock 46T sprocket back on. The Terrible noise I was hearing is now gone.

Has anyone else tried 16/44 setup and if so have you noticed a weird chain or engine noise. Usually I could hear it best when vehicles were beside me. So my mod for trying to get a extra 2 or 3 mpg is shot to 8hit.
What was the noise like? If the chain is to tight is sounds like a grinding/vibrating noise that increases in frequency the faster you go.

Nelly

SeaPup

Reaction score
Visit site
The noise sounded almost like loose valves at times or even like something dragging along side the bike and it was very hard to pinpoint exactly where it was coming from. The chain was not too loose or too tight and I went over it a few times and finally I just said enough and put it all back to stock and set my speedo healer back to -5% error. Now more bad noises only good clean Scorpion exhaust notes :)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The noise sounded almost like loose valves at times or even like something dragging along side the bike and it was very hard to pinpoint exactly where it was coming from. The chain was not too loose or too tight and I went over it a few times and finally I just said enough and put it all back to stock and set my speedo healer back to -5% error. Now more bad noises only good clean Scorpion exhaust notes :)
That answers your question then mate, Change spocket, noise gone.

Nelly

yamagamma

Reaction score
Visit site
You need to compare the tooth profile on the aftermarket sprocket to the OEM sprocket. Many aftermarket sprockets are poorly machined/designed. Generally the teeth are too long. If you stick them on a lathe and file off a mm or so off the top of the teeth, the sprocket will release the chain a lot easier. This is probably the noise you are hearing.

I have had a few race bikes with this, put the bike up on a stand and run it, if the teeth are too long they tend to wrap the chain around the sprocket a bit before they release it. Dressing the top of the sprocket will cure the problem and give you an extra 5 mph!

Yamagamma

jsp

Easyrider
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you chexk I the material is in perfect conditions?
I know it is new but, in some cases, new doesn't mean in good shape...

SeaPup

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes the sprocket looks good, does not looked warped at all, looks nice and the bike runs good with 2 teeth down from stock but the noise just does not seem right and until I get that resolved, stock is back on.

The sprocket is aluminum not steel and I don't have a lathe, is there another way.. file the top of the teeth down? Any pit falls to this if the teeth are not all exactly the same height?

I like your idea about the teeth being too long, thanks for mentioning this.

Last edited:

yamagamma

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, you could carefully file the tips down if they are too long, or use a belt sander to just dress off the tops. lathe is more precise but it's not that critical.

Yamagamma