2007 FZ6 Front Flush Mount LED's??

DeepEmissions

SportBike No0b
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, Long Embarrassing Story Short... I have broke the bottom mounting hole where the bracket that holds the left fron turn signal gets screwed into, Question, is there ANYWHERE on the front where I might be able to use a Flush Mount LED? I have never seen it done to a 2007 FZ6 and it lookes like I will be the first by default. and since :needpics: here are a couple to show the problem.

2011-04-13101257.jpg

2011-04-13102422.jpg

2011-04-13102452.jpg

by the way why does the site log you off so fast? I had to log in 3 times and lost my thread twice, lol

DeepEmissions

SportBike No0b
Reaction score
Visit site
!!!UPDATE!!! I have ordered the flush mount LED's and decided to just go for it! hopefully it turns out okay. I will post pics and instructions then it is complete.

BTW I went with kind of a cheap pair of LED's, hopefully this doesnt bite me back. i spent about $34.00USD on them and they should be here wednesday.

Should I remove the Fairing from the bike??? Or leave it on??? Remember I have NOTHING to guide me as to where they should go, maybe I can line them up better on a flat surface rather than on the bike???

Also of someone could give me some measurements on an '06 or earlier FZ6 as to where the side markers come out of the fairing, I would appriciate it, Thank you.

DeepEmissions

SportBike No0b
Reaction score
Visit site
UPDATE!!!

I am installing the lights as I type this, took a little break, pics coming soon.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9VvVeWLXWA]YouTube - Testing LED signals and pod light wiring[/ame]

DeepEmissions

SportBike No0b
Reaction score
Visit site
FINISHED!!

Pics on the way!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQILpMIo7Cc]YouTube - Finished LED turn signals and POD Lights as signal[/ame]

DeepEmissions

SportBike No0b
Reaction score
Visit site
First off, let me say, this was very challenging for me, I almost couldn't bring myself to drill through my front fairing. but it was something that I had to do to make this work right. Besides, the front fairing did not have the mounting hole for the bottom of the left turn signal bracket anyway (I accidentally broke it off), so either way, if I screwed up, the fairing would have to be replaced anyway.

First step was to remove the silver allen screws 4 on the side of the fairing, and 4 on the black inner fairing.

2011-05-09175812.jpg

2011-05-09180040.jpg

When you do this, remove the small piece of black inner fairing closest to the tank first, this will expose another silver allen screw, when you remove this screw, the bigger black inner fairing will come right out.

2011-05-09175634.jpg

I kinda didn't see a reason to remove the windshield, but I thought at the time it might help have that little extra room. BE CAREFUL!!! These windshield screws are plastic!!! Barely hand tighten them when reinstalling the windshield, drive a hundred miles or so and check the screws again to make sure they're not loosening up.

I followed Boneman's Schematic for LED Signals / Running Lights Diagram (with Pod Lights - as signals)
That can be found here ---> http://www.bonemanfz6.com/Images/mods/watsen/LED wiring.jpg

For the Pod Lights, Boneman also suggests these Bulb Holders, (Motorcycle Parts, Motorcycle Accessories part #1486440-001, Yamaha Part # 5PW-84312-00-00)
They are Bulb holders from a 2003 R1
Bulbs are #194

I used a 1/2" drill bit and drilled the hole (top right of the headlight) for the pod lights, 1/2" is a little tight but working the bit back and fourth, checking for fitment along the way, will insure a tight and snug fit for the holder.

2011-05-09145425.jpg

After that, it is a cake walk... take your time in building the wiring harness, Boneman suggests a 4 prong 12 volt DC 30 amp Relay. You can see it in the above video for testing. I bought mine at NAPA for about 10USD a piece. I think it works great and it is plenty strong to last a while. My suggestion, don't be afraid of Di-electric Grease on your connections, this will keep moisture out and make it easy if you ever have to change the relay or bulb. another suggestion, mount the Relay box-side-up, this will add insurance to help keep water intrusion minimal.

As for mounting the LED signals, your on your own... make it unique, you can see where I mounted mine in the video, problem is, as with these LED signals, the only way to mount them is with double sided foam tape. I am not crazy about that living in the hot Florida sun. But we will see how it goes this summer, and if need be I will come up with another plan of action.

Special thanks to:
Welcome to Boneman's FZ6 Site (wiring Schematics and parts to buy)

Pod Running Lights - How-To - Sportbikes.net (Parts to buy, General write up for Pod Lights)

ngsm13

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the EXACT same problem, my left front light also... link to what you bought?

How do they look standing back in the daylight? I have had friends complain about my small LED rear turn signals telling me they can barely see them when riding behind me during the day.

DeepEmissions

SportBike No0b
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the EXACT same problem, my left front light also... link to what you bought?

How do they look standing back in the daylight? I have had friends complain about my small LED rear turn signals telling me they can barely see them when riding behind me during the day.

Here is the link [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039ZRWJK]Amazon.com: Tusk Flush Mount LED Turn Signals: Automotive[/ame]

like I said, I am not 100% happy with the mounting hardware sent with them (double sided foam tape) but it will have to do until i figure out something else, I am going on vacation from work in july, and then I will really work on this issue hardcore (I know it a long time away.) But for right now I need this to get back and fourth to work, cant afford to drive my gas guzzler Dakota.

I will make another Video tomorrow, long distance away with blinkers on driving towards the camera, I think the pod lights will help people in front of me see the signal.

About your Rear Signals being weak during the day, have you installed an LED Turn Signal Relay switch? This will keep your lights on a fraction of a second longer, hopefully more noticable. I havent installed that on mine yet, Boneman has a link at his website to the LED Flasher Relay

here is a night Video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO6puPnsWkw]YouTube - 2007 FZ6 Pod Lights & LED Signal Lights[/ame]

LOL by the way, all photos and vids I upload are from a PHONE! Gotta love them Samsung Epics!!

Last edited:

ngsm13

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is the link Amazon.com: Tusk Flush Mount LED Turn Signals: Automotive

like I said, I am not 100% happy with the mounting hardware sent with them (double sided foam tape) but it will have to do until i figure out something else, I am going on vacation from work in july, and then I will really work on this issue hardcore (I know it a long time away.) But for right now I need this to get back and fourth to work, cant afford to drive my gas guzzler Dakota.

I will make another Video tomorrow, long distance away with blinkers on driving towards the camera, I think the pod lights will help people in front of me see the signal.

About your Rear Signals being weak during the day, have you installed an LED Turn Signal Relay switch? This will keep your lights on a fraction of a second longer, hopefully more noticable. I havent installed that on mine yet, Boneman has a link at his website to the LED Flasher Relay

here is a night Video

YouTube - 2007 FZ6 Pod Lights & LED Signal Lights

LOL by the way, all photos and vids I upload are from a PHONE! Gotta love them Samsung Epics!!

Ha, I have a Dakota as well!

Yeah, I think need to do some pod lights and similar replacement lights as yours... between the two should be plenty visible.

Now I just need to look into this LED flasher relay, and I think some better LED lights... the ones that came with my FE kit are junk I guess.

DeepEmissions

SportBike No0b
Reaction score
Visit site
Ha, I have a Dakota as well!

Yeah, I think need to do some pod lights and similar replacement lights as yours... between the two should be plenty visible.

Now I just need to look into this LED flasher relay, and I think some better LED lights... the ones that came with my FE kit are junk I guess.

Yeah mine is an 05 V6 and gets about 16.8MPG HORRIBLE compared to the bike, lol. you have a choice of Amber or clear lenses when you buy the bulbs, I went with clear right now, maybe later on I will go to a Brighter Amber LED light, but right now I kinda like how that looks on mine.

I have heard great things about Rizoma rear LED signals. I used my stock signals when I did my FE kit.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
yamaha's own LED are very bright. i bought a set not long ago and gave them a trial (not installed) they are as bright at least as the stock bulb. the leds i have now are barely visable with and i installed them with the necessary relays etc.. when i do them i'll post pics

part numbers:

LED Flashers

Image gallery Set of 2 stylish flashers to replace the standard flashers.
Unique, stylish design by GK Design specially for Yamaha
Including blinker speed regulating resistor
9 LEDs per blinker
55cm long wire with shrink sleeve
Available in 3 variations: black, carbon-look and chrome

Specifications:
Materials: ABS housing, polycarbonate lens
Dimensions: 86 x 35 x 30 mm
CE approved

Black YME-W0789-00-00 £45,99 Add to wish list

Carbon-look YME-W0789-20-00 £45,99 Add to wish list

Chrome YME-W0789-10-00 £45,99 Add to wish list

ngsm13

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah mine is an 05 V6 and gets about 16.8MPG HORRIBLE compared to the bike, lol. you have a choice of Amber or clear lenses when you buy the bulbs, I went with clear right now, maybe later on I will go to a Brighter Amber LED light, but right now I kinda like how that looks on mine.

I have heard great things about Rizoma rear LED signals. I used my stock signals when I did my FE kit.

Thanks, yeah I was looking at the Rizoma LED signals... but $90, whew!