2006 windscreen mod

kustom17

Reaction score
Visit site
Could you talk about the trim a bit more, just wasn't sure exactly what it was or where i could get some (maybe i'm dumb):drool:

H

HavBlue

I wish I had one, but wouldn't want to pay for another one

Nobody ask you to pay for it. It would be nice if you popped for the shipping though. So, do you want one? I have the original 2004 screen up in the loft taking up space.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Could you talk about the trim a bit more, just wasn't sure exactly what it was or where i could get some (maybe i'm dumb):drool:

Regarding the trim.

You can get this at most motorcycle outlets. They may call it windscreen profile or some other fancy name. A lot of bikes have the plastic trim around the screen. You can get it in clear, chrome or smoke. Other bikes like the FZ6 have a moulded trim.

Tell your local bike shop what you are after and they will know.

Steve

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is awesome. I've been thinking about doing that, but I never saw anything about it. I think the shorter windscreen looks amazing, now all you need is put some shorter mirrors and it'll look perfect. Good Job!

I am in 2 minds about the mirrors, but I do see what you mean because I noticed it myself.

If they were changed for R1 or R6 mirrors it would look good and certainly more sporty than the FZ6 does now.

On the other hand I also like the unusual look it has as it is.

I am going to start another thread about who has changed mirrors on the FZ6 and see what that brings up because the mounts are a bit special.

I am a touring biker and only did this out of interest. I will probably revert back to my DB very soon and I would only put mirrors on that I could see out of. If they don`t work, they don`t get on this bike.

Steve

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome Job!..It looks fantastic.:thumbup::D I am surprised that the ride was smoother for you though...not that I am any expert on aerodynamics! I am considering a taller windshield for my 07 FZ and now wonder if I would be making the right choice? or should I stick with stock windshield height or maybe even shorter?

Nice work!.....but I'm confused.:confused:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, that made the bike look so much better! I just might have to try this. (except with more air tools :D)

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome Job!..It looks fantastic.:thumbup::D I am surprised that the ride was smoother for you though...not that I am any expert on aerodynamics! I am considering a taller windshield for my 07 FZ and now wonder if I would be making the right choice? or should I stick with stock windshield height or maybe even shorter?

Nice work!.....but I'm confused.:confused:

Yes so was I so that is the reason I looked into this.

My usual screen is a Puig Double bubble racing screen.

It is slightly higher than the stock screen but I still get turbulance.

It is because the wind hits the screen and swirls around the sides and over the top. This is felt most at head height which is why we feel the turbulance so much.

With the lower screen the turbulance is lower down and gets lost in the wind pressure coming at you and does not get to head height so you do not feel it.

The idea of higher screen and less turbulance in nonsense it cannot happen.

I has a big screen on my Intruder and had very little turbulance because I could rake the screen to be in line with the forks, we cannot do that with the FZ6.

If you are getting a screen JUST to cut down turbulance then don`t bother just do what I did.

When I say it stopped the turbulance 100% I really mean it.

Here is a pic of what my bike usually looks like.

Steve

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Steve,

thanks a lot for this great post! Turbulence is bothering me on my 2007 FZ6 as well. I just ordered me a dark smoke Puig racing screen last week. I realise it will only reduce turbulence a little bit, but I also bought it for the looks of it. I'm curious what effect it will have...

Maybe I'll try what you did in the future...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FRONT VIEW

This is the front view and end result.

I am really pleased with the look, especially as it has cost me absolutely nothing. I started off with a stock screen sat on a shelf for months and now I have an original new screen.

Not everyone may like it but at least you can see what can be done.

TEST RESULT......

The aim of the excersice was to get rid of turbulance and have a smoother ride...did it work????

It works 100%...I rode this down the highway at 180KPH...thats over 100 miles an hour in real money..the turbulance has TOTALLY gone. Turn your head 90% to the left or right and there is no turbulance either. If you lay on the tank you can still see over the screen.

The wind pressure even at 180kph is not excessive and it feels like a real motorbike ride...I was so thrilled with the result.

If you like the look give it a go you will love the result and don`t be afraid just be gentle whilst doing it.

Steve
How tall are you Steve? Nice job BTW.

Nelly

towa

Papa Smurf
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Steve,

I'm new to the motorcycle world, and the faired FZ6 F ABS 98 hp (2006/07) is my first MC. I use it on touring, from Aarhus to Copenhagen (I live in AArhus, and work in Copenhagen). My first ride back from Copenhagen actually almost pulled my head off. I first wantede to try the Yamaha high touring windscreen, and then decided to go for the Puig screen. Now im confused - would You suggest me to try cut something off the original windscreen?

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Steve,

I'm new to the motorcycle world, and the faired FZ6 F ABS 98 hp (2006/07) is my first MC. I use it on touring, from Aarhus to Copenhagen (I live in AArhus, and work in Copenhagen). My first ride back from Copenhagen actually almost pulled my head off. I first wantede to try the Yamaha high touring windscreen, and then decided to go for the Puig screen. Now im confused - would You suggest me to try cut something off the original windscreen?

I'm going to try the Tall Windscreen, because making it smaller will only increase air to the torso (right?) It will get rid of "dirty" wind buffet but you get the full blast of wind, i think the Tall Touring Windshield is worth a try...

Biker711

Reaction score
Visit site
Steve, I think you are 100% right regarding the taller w/s having more turbulence and wind noise. I am now on my third w/s (Puig racing) and had high hopes for this one. I had heard it reduced wind noise by 100%. No way! It's maybe 2 inches taller than stock and it is not quieter, it creates more noise. It does give a little more protection to my torso, but that's not what I was looking for. I also purchased another brand +9 inches and that gave even more protection and more noise. I had it cut down to +6 but still noiser than I wanted. The only way to reduce noise with this bike is to go smaller on the w/s. I'm going to cut the +6 to a lower height as you did and I'm certain it will be an improvement. I also noticed that when riding on the highway, if you shrug your shoulders (raise them to the bottom of the helmet) ALL wind noise is totally eliminated. It's the air coming over and around the taller w/s that comes up under the helmet causing all the noise. I'm also going to purchase one of those helmet skirts and see if that helps at all. Even thought about a "horseshoe helmet brace" as used by racers. It appears to attach to the underside of the helmet and might therefore reduce some of that airflow to the underside of the helmet. I'll post the results but of one thing I am certain- lower w/s will keep the turbulent air away from the helmet.

delboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I cut down my Puig DB screen as i didn't want to cut my original screen. I cut it down about 5 inches and it made an appreciable difference. It's still not perfect, but its a lot better. :rockon:

F

formula154

I have been thinking about this turbulence from the wind shield real hard. The bad part is not the wind it is the turbulent wind. The turbulence is caused (all of this is my opinion) by wind tumbling in to an extreemly low pressure area behind the screen from a high pressure area in front of the screen. Cutting your screen down reduced the low pressure area. Making the top round instead of flat spread out the turbulence. I have a Lip on my stock wind shield but still have a lot of turbulence at high speed, it is just higher than it was.So what I did was to try to increase the pressure behind the screen. On the 04 there is a small Yamaha symbol stamped in to the wind shield near rhe bottom of the screen. I drilled 4 holes in to the screen about the size of a dime around that symbol, one above, one below, one to the left and one two the right. The turbulence is reduced by doing that. I have found that I have an area of about 6 inches of turbulence above the screen. I was riding at 80 mph and found the turbulence reduced. I put my hand between the screen and the back of the speedo housing and could feel no wind at all from the holes I cut. I don't know where the air is going that comes through the holes but it felt dead calm to me. Tomorrow I am going to either cut some more holes in the screen or make the ones I have bigger to see if the turbulence can be reduced more. My advice to people who are looking to get rid of turbulence and get out of the air is to find screens with vent holes in them so the air can get behind the screen. I noticed the stock FZ6 screen and the double bubble racing screen are air tight ( close to it) from top to bottom. If you are going for a tall screen to deflect air then get one with vent holes to reduce turbulence.

Mike