200 miles one tank

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
One thing I've not seen mentioned is winter/summer blends of gasoline. Winter blends will add alchohol and even butane to the winter blends, thus resulting in lower fuel economy. A new government mandate required that gasoline have a 10% ethanol mixture by June of 2008. Ethanol has only 67% of energy content of straight gasoline, so a 10% ethanol mixture drop your mileage by 6-7%.

We've run E10 here in MA for a couple of years...it sucks, mainly because it becomes unstable quickly if it sits, absorbs water, and acts a solvent which can dislodge a bunch of crap in old tanks (both at the stations and on your machines), and can cause corrosion.

I think your ratios are off though, it is not 6-7%, but more like 3% (using your numbers)

ex say gasoline has 100,000 btu/gal and ethanol is 67,000 btu/gal

100,000 X.9gal = 90,000
67,000 X.1gal = 6,700
96,700/100,000 = 96.7% so a 3.3% change

However not many places run pure gasoline, here we had oxygenated fuel which has a lower energy density anyway, so the change to ethanol vs MTBE is not much (aside from the issues above).

However E10 burns at a theoretically richer ratio (14.1 stoich vs 14.7) so there may be some additional loss of economy there...hard to say with how much crap they've blended in, or if they are using lower octane gasoline (with a higher energy density) blended with the high-octane ethanol to get the net octane rating on the pump with a similar energy density to pure gasoline of the same octane rating.

I can tell you from running E10 here vs. non-oxygenated pure gasoline in other states, my car mileage is the same.

Back to the bike:
On my first full tank doing break-in, I averaged 45.3 MPG, Using 87 Octane summer-blend E10, mostly running 30-50 MPH in the 3500-5000 rpm range, with several cold-start warmups. So I expect I should hit 50+ MPG when it's fully broken in and I can get out on somer longer rides where I'm just in 6th gear.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
My last couple of tanks I have gotten around 44-49 mpg. I mostly commute 50/50 city/highway. I only ride the bike hard during merging and going home from work where the freeway is wide open. I seem to get better mileage shifting higher in the RPMs around 6,000 during cruise. In the city I cruise around 4,500 RPM. Highway I cruise at 7,000 RPM. I've always used 87 octane for fuel. From a maintenance standpoint, oil is Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w40 mixed with Yamalube 10w40 and Valvoline 10w40 (had lots of extra oil lying around, might as well use it), tire pressures are checked every month (33 psi front/ 38 rear, 180 Lbs rider), have NGK iridium plugs, use Du Pont Teflon as a chain lube and have recently adjusted chain slack. Hope some of this info is useful.

Rookie Error

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All

I really wish I could improve on the total mileage for my FZ6-S. I ran out of fuel today on the motorway having done 175 miles!

I'm finding it impossible to fit any more than 15.5 litres into the tank. The gauge says its full after refueling and the bars flashing when it's run out.

Can you help?

Is there a reserve tank switch or reset that I need to see to in order to avoid filling up every 15 litres? The manual doesn't say a lot about the workings of the reserve.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi mate,
This would be easier to answer with a few questions answered.

1' Do you fill up on th center stand?
2. Do you allow 20-30 seconds for the gas to settle even though you can see it right at the bottom of the filler?
3. Has your tank got a huge dent in it?
4. Whats your riding style?
5. How are your tyre pressures?

I regularly get 18 liters into mine and it is not dry, so it is defo possible.

Nelly

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Hello All

I really wish I could improve on the total mileage for my FZ6-S. I ran out of fuel today on the motorway having done 175 miles!

I'm finding it impossible to fit any more than 15.5 litres into the tank. The gauge says its full after refueling and the bars flashing when it's run out.

Can you help?

Is there a reserve tank switch or reset that I need to see to in order to avoid filling up every 15 litres? The manual doesn't say a lot about the workings of the reserve.

I'm sorry, but how the hell does one run out of gas when they have a frigg'n gas gauge staring them in the face everytime they get on their bike!?!?!

The gauge says its full after refueling and the bars flashing when it's run out.
Yes, that's how a gas guage works. When your tank is full, the gauge shows full, when your tank is empty, it displays no bars. It's flashing to let you know that you need to fill up! The flashing means you are on your reserve gas. :rtfm:!! + you get the added bonus of a fuel trip meter to boot! What more do you want...a little monkey to pop out of your gas tank and tell you to go find a gas sation??

From owners manual FZ6_SS_SSC_04 (but I'm sure most will have something similar)
Page 3-4 of your Owners Manual states the following: "a fuel reserve tripmeter (which shows the distance traveled since the bottom segment of the fuel meter started flashing" aslo states "When approximately 3.6L (0.95 US gal) (0.79 lmp.gal) of fuel remain in the fuel tank, the bottom segment of the fuel meter will start flashing, and the odometer display will automatically change to the fuel reserve tripmeter mode "TRIP F" and start counting the distance traveled from that point")

Page 3-5 of your Owners Manual states the following: "Fuel Meter - the fuel meter indicates the amount of fuel in the fuel tank. The display segments of the fuel meter disappear towards "E" (Empty) as the fuel level decreases. When only one segment is left near "E", refuel as soon as possible."

Seems pretty straight forward.

There is no 'reserve' tank or switch.

Can you help?

Sure, in the future, when your gas gauge is on the last bar and it starts flashing and the fuel trip meter is displayed, FILL UP YOUR TANK! :rolleyes: :thumbup:

Last edited:

Red Scorpion

Reaction score
Visit site
When my last bar starts flashing, I have about 50 miles left. I get 255 miles per tank. Usually averaging 51-52mpg. And usually get the better mileage in the higher rev range.

RS

BKKFZ6

Regular Joe
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't you know only hippies and communists use the metric system?

Here's a map of all the countries in the world who still use the \\"real\\" measurment system (the one's in red).

Is that Thailand I see in red... sorry buddy, you better use some whiteout there! We buy litres here not gi(mp)llons or gu(s)llons!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Was talking about this thread to another Aussie fz6 rider the other day...and we are both amazed at the miles you guys ae getting per tank...both of us only get to about 200km's before the reserve light comes on, which means that we are getting about 260 - 270km's per tank, this changes radically with a high speed sport ride....in fact, on one occasion, my fuel gauge started flashing after 150km/h.

The best i have ever got is about 300km's out of a tank, and that was riding extrmely conservatively.

:confused:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Was talking about this thread to another Aussie fz6 rider the other day...and we are both amazed at the miles you guys ae getting per tank...both of us only get to about 200km's before the reserve light comes on, which means that we are getting about 260 - 270km's per tank, this changes radically with a high speed sport ride....in fact, on one occasion, my fuel gauge started flashing after 150km/h.

The best i have ever got is about 300km's out of a tank, and that was riding extrmely conservatively.

I get roughly 320-330 km's/tank riding to and from work everyday :D mind you its only a 15min blat straight down the highway...... Then if i have fun i do struggle to get 220 km's :eek: but its just sooooo much fun and while the fuel prices are so cheap im having lots n lots of fun :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I get roughly 320-330 km's/tank riding to and from work everyday :D mind you its only a 15min blat straight down the highway...... Then if i have fun i do struggle to get 220 km's :eek: but its just sooooo much fun and while the fuel prices are so cheap im having lots n lots of fun :thumbup:

Thanks for confirming that! Yep it looks me and Ozzieboy are having "fun" all the time, in that case....Lol! :rockon:

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site

I am with you on this one. I average 160-180mpg per tank. And that 180 is only while driving like its a scooter. I don't understand how people are getting 50+mpg? I wonder if it has anything to do with type of oil or maybe how we broke in our engines?

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I am curious who has gone the farthest on the blinking light? It would be nice to know just in case. Looks light 22.6 by Sportrider is tops for now.

I've gone 42 on reserve. I was babying it for the last few miles just to get to a gas station. I was on my way home from a meet 'n greet in Niagara Falls, and just wanted to get home.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
since i did the 520 conversion kit, i seem to be getting some odd numbers. Like the other day (fuel light was blinking) I put 89 octane in the bike and @ $2.39. IT only took 3.47 gallons to fill it. So i waited for the next blinker and (put it on the TRIP A), refueled on the bike and top it off using the 89 Oct and again it only took about 3.97 gallons and the miles were around 170. So is it me or is something wrong. I know in the past we spoke about how many miles were we getting, but this is blowing my mind. When i full up i sit on it the fill it to top of. Every time it's around 3.4 to 3.9 (with those numbers it pertains to fuel). So if i fill it up to the top from being empty shouldn't i be around the 4.5 or 5.0 gallons. Don't understand??????????????

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
since i did the 520 conversion kit, i seem to be getting some odd numbers. Like the other day (fuel light was blinking) I put 89 octane in the bike and @ $2.39. IT only took 3.47 gallons to fill it. So i waited for the next blinker and (put it on the TRIP A), refueled on the bike and top it off using the 89 Oct and again it only took about 3.97 gallons and the miles were around 170. So is it me or is something wrong. I know in the past we spoke about how many miles were we getting, but this is blowing my mind. When i full up i sit on it the fill it to top of. Every time it's around 3.4 to 3.9 (with those numbers it pertains to fuel). So if i fill it up to the top from being empty shouldn't i be around the 4.5 or 5.0 gallons. Don't understand??????????????

Running 89 is part of the problem. You've going to get lower mileage simply because of the nature of the beast.

If the tank is completely empty, you'll dump in about 5 gallons (minus whatever the pump takes up). The reserve is .9 gallons. Keep in mind, these numbers are all approximate.

I assume you're filling it with the bike straight up? Having it on the side stand will cut down on how much fuel you can put in the bike.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i always sit on the bike straight up to maximize tank volume. But if the blinker say fill me up or we will on the side of the rode :surrender: :banghead: it should Atlas take in 4-5 gallons instead of 3-4 gallons. Still puzzles me.

Rookie Error

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi mate,
This would be easier to answer with a few questions answered.

1' Do you fill up on th center stand?
- Will do from now on!

2. Do you allow 20-30 seconds for the gas to settle even though you can see it right at the bottom of the filler?
- Will do from now on!

3. Has your tank got a huge dent in it?
No
4. Whats your riding style?
New biker, so 'conservatively'
5. How are your tyre pressures?
Fine. As per the manual

I regularly get 18 liters into mine and it is not dry, so it is defo possible.

Nelly

Thanks for these, I'll try them and hopefully I'll extend the total miles from the tank.

To answer another's point, I'd been filling each time the gauge reached the last bar and began flashing, but I'd only managed to get between 12.5-15.5 litres in at each fill, so I thought the gauge might be wrong.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am with you on this one. I average 160-180mpg per tank. And that 180 is only while driving like its a scooter. I don't understand how people are getting 50+mpg? I wonder if it has anything to do with type of oil or maybe how we broke in our engines?

i tried two diff tests, one shifting at 5k rpms, and never going above 6 period, got WORSE milage than cruising at high rpms.. go figure...

buzzard breath

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm around 14000 and it has improved from low 40's to at least 50, but these are flat highway commutes.

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site

Difference between US gallons and Imperial gallons?