200 miles one tank

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Dear god i'm only getting 32 miles per gallon and thats IMPERIAL gallon..so i'm using more fuel then you guys!!! How are you getting such good milage? Seriously...i'm not even getting 200 miles per tank of fuel. I get about 170 miles per tank!!!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to consistently get 200+ miles per tank on my '05 FZ6 but I've only ONCE ever hit 200+ on the '08 FZ6. Both had/have bone stock FI and exhaust. Zero performance mods on each model. On the '08 I am getting about 190 +/- 5 per tank if I commute without taking a canyon break. This is likely a testament to the TPS and FI changes done between model years. Having owned both, I personally know the difference in how these two models react to throttle response. I'm not an expert but I DID stay at a Holi...... NM! :D

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
I've just returned from a quick 2300 mile round trip to Florida and back and consistently got 52 mpg, stopped to fill up usually at 200 mile intervals, and that was while running steady interstate speeds, trying to keep out of the truckers' and idiot drivers' way nearly the entire way.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to consistently get 200+ miles per tank on my '05 FZ6 but I've only ONCE ever hit 200+ on the '08 FZ6. Both had/have bone stock FI and exhaust. Zero performance mods on each model. On the '08 I am getting about 190 +/- 5 per tank if I commute without taking a canyon break. This is likely a testament to the TPS and FI changes done between model years. Having owned both, I personally know the difference in how these two models react to throttle response. I'm not an expert but I DID stay at a Holi...... NM! :D

I've always been puzzled by the wide variation in mileage people get. Seems to be about a 20% variation. I almost always get 44mpg on an 07 with 5k miles (so probably broken in now), and I ride sedately, rarely above 8k, more open road than stop-n-go. FZ6inNH's statement above that the model year matters is the first I've ever heard anyone say that. Maybe that accounts for the variation? Whomever adds to this thread, state what year you have.

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
Recently I've only been riding in city traffic to and from class. I've only been getting 37mpg but I guess thats because of all the waiting in traffic.

Reaction score
Visit site
well i an 05 with 22000 mi on it. i have always gotten right at or just above 50 mpg. unless i am doing a lot of wheelies or hot rodding on one tank. i am curious if anybody can answer if the newer designed fz has any added performance or not. i like the black ones but not gonna trade if performance isnt better.

Scab

Nobody special
Reaction score
Visit site
One thing I've not seen mentioned is winter/summer blends of gasoline. Winter blends will add alchohol and even butane to the winter blends, thus resulting in lower fuel economy. A new government mandate required that gasoline have a 10% ethanol mixture by June of 2008. Ethanol has only 67% of energy content of straight gasoline, so a 10% ethanol mixture drop your mileage by 6-7%.

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
I get between 42 and 45, mostly in the 42 mpg range. A lot of my riding is a little aggressive. The best I've got is 48. I have the fuel injected 2008 model from CA. The non CA bikes probably get a little better milage.

goose2580

Newbee
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
Well I have made it back from vegas.. the route i took was I5 to Mt Shasta then 89 and 395 to Reno then 80e to 50A to 95 south to Las Vegas 1015 miles 22.031 gallons = 46 mpg. I was riding at or around 70 to 80 to reno from portland. reno to vegas I was running between 80 and 90mph with quite a few miles over 100....This was all done on 91 octane from shell. the temp out was between 45 in the morning 55 in the afternoon and for the last 200 miles to vegas I was fighting a bad cross wind and temps around 30..
Oh and I dont know if it makes a diffrence but my fz6 is on 07' and I weigh 225lbs when I run at higher speeds I lean alot futher over the tank. the return trip I will post later .... also If you plan on running 1000 miles only stopping for fuel and smoke breaks I highly suggest getting a better than stock seat. Ive been back for 3 days and my bum is still sore.

goose2580

Newbee
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
Just checked the numbers and on the return trip I got 45.9 mpg so I would say it was just about a mirror of the trip down..If ya'll want to know any other variables or specifics just ask..

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Dear god i'm only getting 32 miles per gallon and thats IMPERIAL gallon..so i'm using more fuel then you guys!!! How are you getting such good milage? Seriously...i'm not even getting 200 miles per tank of fuel. I get about 170 miles per tank!!!

I tested this again and just ran the bike until it cut out. I got 220 miles to the tank!!!!

About time i saw the true distance per tank! :)

EDIT: I should reallly edit this and say that i did travel on the bike for long distances with little in town riding and I kept the revs at 6,000, no higher and no less.

Last edited:

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I just finished off a tank riding around 6-7k instead of 4k like normal and no change haha. Still 38mpg city driving. Now switching over to 89 instead of 93 octane and see if that has any kind of effect. I did install a TB exhaust a few weeks ago, I know I read somewhere but should I reset my ECU?

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK VR, when you checked your gas to mileage was it from the BLINKO to top off. I am blinking now so i will gas up (92 Octane) till it tops off and then rife the bike and see how many miles i will , Whit the 520 conversion kit on and will I post it up tomorrow. I have a feeling it will be around 180-200 fingers crossed and see the results.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I have made it back from vegas.. the route i took was I5 to Mt Shasta then 89 and 395 to Reno then 80e to 50A to 95 south to Las Vegas 1015 miles 22.031 gallons = 46 mpg. I was riding at or around 70 to 80 to reno from portland. reno to vegas I was running between 80 and 90mph with quite a few miles over 100....This was all done on 91 octane from shell. the temp out was between 45 in the morning 55 in the afternoon and for the last 200 miles to vegas I was fighting a bad cross wind and temps around 30..
Oh and I dont know if it makes a diffrence but my fz6 is on 07' and I weigh 225lbs when I run at higher speeds I lean alot futher over the tank. the return trip I will post later .... also If you plan on running 1000 miles only stopping for fuel and smoke breaks I highly suggest getting a better than stock seat. Ive been back for 3 days and my bum is still sore.

So you rode straight thru???? How many hours did it take you?

OK VR, when you checked your gas to mileage was it from the BLINKO to top off. I am blinking now so i will gas up (92 Octane) till it tops off and then rife the bike and see how many miles i will , Whit the 520 conversion kit on and will I post it up tomorrow. I have a feeling it will be around 180-200 fingers crossed and see the results.

Not sure what you mean, when I get 200 - 220 miles on a tank, this includes my reserve, the miles acrued while blinking. I fill up just above the metal part. Never below. In other words, it's topped off pretty good with the centerstand. My riding style is a mix of stop n go traffic with traffic lights and some freeway. My cruising rpm's is always around 7-8000 rpms. Heavy acceleration from stop. But I also weigh about 165 lbs with gear.