15t sprocket woes

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is everyone else happy with their 15t? I finally got to ride my bike today for the first time this year with the 15t and while a bit peppier, I think I like my stock gearing better.

I think I might put the other sprocket back on, anyone want a new Vortech front sprocket? Pm me if you want it. You pay shipping and you can have it.

Paulmcmoto

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe just give yourself a little time to get used to it. When I first bought my CBR600RR, I hated the gearing because it seemed so short that you got into sixth gear in no time and it did a million revs at 100KPH. So I had a custom made 39 tooth sprocket made (4 smaller than stock) that raised the gearing quite a bit. But when i decided to replace the chain, I thought I'd try the 43 back on it after 12 months of riding with the 39. Suddenly, the 43 didn't seem so short geared and the bike went heaps better. 2nd gear became so much useful around slow corners and roundabouts. Remember, most 600's are revvy and shorter gearing helps make the most of the lack of low down power. I don't know if I'd go down one on the front but i'm thinking of going up 2 on the back. Not quite so low.

Last edited:

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I put my stocker back on today and I am happy with it, at least I tried it, great for around town or the track maybe, but I have a bunch of longer trips planned for this summer and I kinda want the higher gearing back. So I am sending the 15t to a Florida brother, I hope he likes it. Just goes to show that every mod is not for everyone!

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry it didn't work for you. I'm looking into a conversion as well. I'm going to change the rear -1 so that should make it a little more mellow.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I had been giving some thought to the 15t mod because it seemed so easy and inexpensive to do. Then I really gave the stock gearing a chance and it turns out i really like the stock gearing enough to keep it. At 6500 rpm on the highway, i ask myself is there enough power? Yes. Would I like to be reving higher to achieve the same speed? No.

I won't rule a gear change at some point, but for now I am just enjoying the bike as is. I think if I didn't have to get a speedohealer to cure the speedo error that might tip me over to the 15t camp.