04 FZ6 Mod questions

Fireeater170

Reaction score
Visit site
So i recently purchased a 04 FZ6 with 800 miles on it. I really would like to do a few things to it but would like your feedback on a few items. The mods that i would like to do right away is the dual headlight conversion, fender eliminator (preferably the FAZ6R), and possibly the FZ-1 handlebars.

Dual Headlight mod: Does anyone know where to get accurate instructions about this mod? I have found a few people who have done it but would like to know which instructions other people have used.

Fender eliminator: I have sent the Larry guy a message on Ebay regarding the fender eliminator and have not gotten a response yet. Does anyone else know where I can get the FAZ6R or instructions on how to do it myself?

FZ-1 handlebar swap: My current bars hit the tank when turned all the way. I hate that pinch point and would like to do something different. Is there anyone that has instructions on how to do this mod with the FZ-1 handlebar swap and what type of bar i should be looking for if i search Ebay? I found a set that states they are Titanium low FZ-1 and a diameter of 7/8. Do i need to put risers on in order to clear the tank with the FZ-1 bars?

Lastly,
Is anyone aware if anyone makes LED inserts for the stock turn signals?

I am sorry for the giant post but eager to get my bike personalized and need some feedback from others. THANKS!

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
For the headlight mod I'd highly recommend getting the kit from bd43. You get the harness all made up and just have to slot it into place. It comes with full printed instructions with plenty of pictures so you know what to do.

Boneman has a copy of the instructions on his site along with a link to contact bd43 (on this site)

Boneman's FZ6 Site - Dual Headlight Mod

Lots of people on here have used his kit. Works a treat :thumbup:

Happy riding. The 04 FZ6 is a cracking bike :)

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Dangit! huxy beat me to it!

:welcome: Fireater! I might be able to answer a couple of these.

For the dual headlight mod, search the forum for "bd43". When I did mine, well before bd43 put his out, it was a hack job and not nearly as clean. You should be able to find everything you need by searching that term.

I'm not sure on the FAZR6 FE. I've got one on mine (it's been on there for 4 years), but I don't know about getting one now. I'm sure there's a way and someone will come along that knows more than I do.

If you want FZ1 bars, no need to get ones that say they're FZ1-ish...just head to your closest dealer and ask for '06 FZ1 bars. The great thing about getting them straight from Yamaha? You're probably not going to find them any cheaper anywhere else (about $40) and the stock bar ends from the FZ6 screw right into the ends of the FZ1 bar. :thumbup:

On a side note...a '04 with 800 miles??? Wow! That's LOW miles right there...lol. Congrats on the bike and post up some shots when you get a chance.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does it have stock bars on it? You might rotate them up just a tad so they don't hit the tank until you get some replacements. . .

Fireeater170

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys for your input! I will try to rotate the bars for the mean time but i really would prefer the fz-1 bars. Thanks for the info on the wiring harness. I definitely need to get a hold of that guy. Thanks again guys!

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
FZR6 (Mike) is a senior member on this site. I sold my 04 to him and I see him check in from time to time. He made the FZR6 fender eliminators back in the day, but I don't know if he's still making them. Drop him a line via PM.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Wait, an 04 with 800 miles?

If it has that few miles, it's not even completely broken in. Also check to see if the TPS has been replaced, and that it has had the front sprocket lock washer replaced. The VIN plate should have 2 punch marks on it, for each process that was done.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey my bike is also 04 but i didn`t change the sprocket lock washer.
Are all the 04 models affected?
I didn`t have an issue yet.
(If i had, i woudn`t write these words perhaps):eek:

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my Dual Headlight kit from Motogiro a forum member here. Not sure what the difference is but i love this head light kit!!!!

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey my bike is also 04 but i didn`t change the sprocket lock washer.
Are all the 04 models affected?
I didn`t have an issue yet.
(If i had, i woudn`t write these words perhaps):eek:

I do believe it was all of 04. There was a technical bulletin out at one point about it.

Alfa95

Reaction score
Visit site
Wait, an 04 with 800 miles?

If it has that few miles, it's not even completely broken in. Also check to see if the TPS has been replaced, and that it has had the front sprocket lock washer replaced. The VIN plate should have 2 punch marks on it, for each process that was done.

Not necessarily, I recently had the TSB fix done at my local Yamaha dealer and they did NOT punch the plate.

Fireeater170

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't get past you bought a 04 fz6 with 800 miles on it! What else did you say?

---
I am here: Google Maps

I guess i got lucky! I was looking for a good first bike and someone in Wisconsin was selling an 04 with 800 miles on it. It was a two hour drive but welll worth it! I almost feel bad making mods to a bike that has stayed a virgin for soo long!

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
The front sprocket lock washer was a recall. Your dealer can tell if it has been done - better to check than have the sprocket fall off! I have seen that happen on race bikes and it makes for a SLOW bike.

As for mods the FZ1 bars are a good mod. The first dealer I asked about the bars quoted over $100 for the bars - they probably just looked up the wrong part. Went to another dealer and got them for about $40. Other mods would be a good LED tail light for increased visability. I added a brake light bar from Cycle Gear to the top of my tag for more light. There have been a couple of bikes "run over" at traffic lights in my area so am a little paranoid.