You though YOU mod the heck out of your bike? Check this out.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Got this from another forum i frequent, guy there hangs out on the G-wing forums....

I modified my Wing...cat is out of the bag.

How much ya figure this guy has into his bike (not including what the Wing cost!)

The FLIR system is what got me... :eek:

Crazyness, and here we thought G-wings did everything already!

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
omg.

Wing3Stuff027.jpg

1/2%normal

Motorcycle Tech
Reaction score
Visit site
AHAHAHAHA! one GPS is enough but 2? I feel really bad for the tech who has to work on this...and his stator, regulator/rectifier, ECU, wire harness and his battery(s)

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
i've seen this before.
having 2 gps units is popular with the iron butt crowd.
one is for the route and the other is used for a birds eye view and to search for gas stops, restaurants, etc....

1 is more than enough for me...

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, he does say that the last time the dealer see's the bike is when it leaves the show room floor.....:thumbup:

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
There's a big thread now over on the TWTEX and GL1800 forum on this guy. He's went viral lol. One of the pics got removed from photobucket because of the bandwidth usage.

He actually gives a full breakdown of what everything does including the switches. He's also got a trailer he tows that contains a fuel cell and a battery driven pump to get the fuel to the bike.

On the GPSes he's actually running three. The bike has a built in nav system also (the screen in the center). Multiple GPSes are a common thing in the LD community. I'll have to see if I can dig up the pic of a wing in the Iron Butt Rally 2011 who was running the wing's Nav system plus one ZUMO 550 up front then his wife riding pillion had two more ZUMO 550s mounted to the swing out arm rest. ZUMO 550s cost 5-600 dollars a pop so they were running 1500 dollars worth of just GPS units.

Hell there was a guy in 2007 in the Iron Butt Rally who was running a Toughbook in a Pelican top case that was wired to a GPS antenna and a flip up touch screen mounted on the guys tank bag. The stack holding the GPS Antenna also had a satellite radio antenna and a 5 watt cell phone booster lol.

hi tech gizmos are just part of the game. I have to admit I think the FLIR would be awesome to have on some of these backroads at dusk/dawn/night time :rockon:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So much tech into these rallys....seems like overkill. I dont know much about these things, but I think it takes the fun and adventure out of it.

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Just because the gear is there doesn't mean he is using it all the time:thumbup:

The LD community is different for sure compared to pretty much all other "cliques" within motorcycling in the US but are probably some of the safest riders on the planet.

Take 2011 Rally for instance. Out of 100 riders there was around 1million miles put on by all the riders though 48 (some guys did Alaska also for 49) states though all kinds of weather including flooding (this was when the Northwest was flooding real bad) and terrain of various types from the mountains to the desert floor and IIRC 2 riders had accidents. One required a short hospital visit and the other walked away.

That's not to say it's not dangerous though. Years ago they did loose an experienced known world wide Australian long distance rider shortly after crossing the Canadian border back into the US to what is believed to be an animal strike at high speed.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll 2nd , IBA riders are notoriously safe riders and it don't really matter how much gadgetry they have it pretty much all serves a purpose, even if something only gets used once in a bluemoon. I've scene several fuel cell addons, and I like this setup. About a year back me and my dad modified a dl-1000, by basicly cutting the top off and adding about 8" inbetween and welded it all up for a guy going on the rally. After all was said and done I think he said it added about 2 1/4 gal to his tank

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
There's a guy in the FJR community that did the same thing with his tank. I think some people were calling it the Stratotanker. He got a wrecked out FJR stripped the lower fairings off of it and chopped the tank in the manner you were talking about to carry max allowed Iron Butt Association fuel. He could go something like 400 miles a shot between gas stations.

It was fugly as all get out but the whole thing functioned lol

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't remember what kind of mileage he is getting but I want to say roughly the same but his got dub'd the frankentank, and to be honest I kind of like the way his looks, all the fairings fit just like normal but it just sits a lot higher almost like having a tank bag on

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
AHAHAHAHA! one GPS is enough but 2? I feel really bad for the tech who has to work on this...and his stator, regulator/rectifier, ECU, wire harness and his battery(s)

The second GPS is for when he's traveling in the, "Sub space time continuum" You can never be too prepared! The one switch (which one?) is for the Beer Replicator! :BLAA:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll 2nd , IBA riders are notoriously safe riders and it don't really matter how much gadgetry they have it pretty much all serves a purpose, even if something only gets used once in a bluemoon. I've scene several fuel cell addons, and I like this setup. About a year back me and my dad modified a dl-1000, by basicly cutting the top off and adding about 8" inbetween and welded it all up for a guy going on the rally. After all was said and done I think he said it added about 2 1/4 gal to his tank

I would have to agree, they kind of HAVE to be safe riders to run ALL those miles without incident. I do wonder how much some of these guys have into there bikes though... this guys gotta have at least 50k into that bike...

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
What's impressive is the neat and clean installation of all of these mods, no rats nest of wiring that you often see. Well done and very impressive.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Was thinking about it, and i wonder what this guys house looks like, unless his G-wing is his mobile house? lol

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
He's in the oil field equipment business (in Louisiana IIRC) and it looks like it's been good to him :thumbup:

The guy came over to TWTEX.COM and posted and it sounds like he's a pretty big bike nut :rockon:

Cockpit envy - TWT Forums

Just to page 3 to see his post.