Yet Another Thread on The Scorpion Exhausts

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I was planning to buy Scorpion exhausts the whole time, but after I melted my exhaust cover I decided to get them a bit earlier than planned. I ordered them from the excellent Seastar Superbikes as they have the lowest prices I could find. They don't have the latest models for the FZ6 listed on the site but after emailing them a great guy called Turk let me know all the details after he got hold of Scorpion and found out I needed some YA-84's for an '08 fazer. This is with the new style end cap (although the old style look great too) and I got them in oval instead of round as it looks just a little bit more special. You can see their site page on the older style ones here. I was glad I rang up as Turk gave me a discount and sold me them at the (already low) price on the website as the newer ones cost more than the old.

When I received the card from the delivery company telling me they'd missed me (I'm always at work when stuff gets delivered to me) I loaded myself up with tank bag, bungees and big rucksack ready prepared to collect the bits on my bike (I sold my last car once I discovered the joy of riding). The bits came very well packaged with lots of bubble wrap etc in a gigantic box and I prompty took it all out of the box at the couriers' office, packed it away into various bags and left them the empty box to dispose of. :)

What you get is the lovely cans:-

Some bits to help mount them and the number-plate:-

And lots of clamps for the pipes and the cans themselves:-

A Y-pipe to join the two cans onto the pipe from the cat:-

Here you can see inside one of the pipes with the DB-killers fitted:-

And you can see the other side of the DB-killer from the other side:-

Last edited:
Fitting wasn't too much of a chore. The hose clamps to tighten up the connecting pipes are a bit of pain to get to and they seem to just take forever to tighten. I discovered after fitting that the connection between the Scorpion Y-pipe and the Yamaha pipe from the cat isn't perfect, so I've bought some Holts Firegum to fill up the joints at a later stage. I'm going to buy the Scorpion decat pipe soon so I won't bother with it till then.

The system that Scorpion use to mount the numberplate mount is awful and I had to fiddle about with it for a while until I worked out how it all worked. I have the R&G fender eliminator so that may have caused issues - but I found that I was about 4 bolts shy from what I needed. So I popped down the local hardware store and bought some nice steel ones. After a bit of fiddling it was all done.

Here you can see a close-up showing the DB-killers and the all important e numbers allowing it through an MOT:-

Here is one without the DB-killer fitted (I'll explain about that in a bit):-

Here they are running - there was a load of moisture coming out at first:-

From the side looking kewl:-

From an angle at the rear looking even more kewl:-

Head on from the rear:-

From above:-

From the rear a bit further away:-

These exhausts were not just bought for the looks however. They were also bought for the sound they make and the extra performance they offer. As for the performance, I have noticed an improvement in engine response and the bike seems to have more pickup at lower speeds. I'd like to see how it's like when I get the decat pipe later and compare that to a stock bike!

As for the sound, it sound amazing! Has a really deep throary idle which changes to a roar above 3000rpm and it screams above 600rpm. I use them with the DB Killers fitted and they sound amazing and nice and loud too. When I took my bike in for it's first service at the dealership I was getting loads of questions about them. And when they started the bike up and rode it round the back to the workshop I could easily hear it from inside the shop. :)

I tried a journey to work and back without the DB-killers fitted and I just knew it was too loud. I ride with [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-CX300-Eco-Headphones-Black/dp/B000S8EUNM/"]Sennheiser CX300[/ame] noise-cancelling earphones in and music playing and normally it blocks out most of the engine and wind-noise while still allowing me to hear sirens and horns etc. But with the pipes straight through it was hurting my ears even though I mostly rode under 5000rpm. I also felt really bad for anyone behind me and worried about any Police within a 1 mile radius who might hear them!

I made a couple of videos that I stuck on Youtube to let people hear the different sound options. The first one shows the exhausts along with a walk-round:-
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6nCnGrRtFQ"]YouTube - Yamaha FZ6 Stock Exhaust VS Scorpion Oval Exhaust #1.1[/ame]

The second shows a really easy comparison of the different sounds at idle and at 4000rpms:-
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtFgrRvd6_c"]YouTube - Yamaha FZ6 Stock Exhaust VS Scorpion Oval Exhaust #2.1[/ame]

If you like them feel free to give me reps on Youtube and/or here! :thumbup:

Last edited:
excellent write up and vids!! best I've seen so far of this comparo. Thanks!

Last edited:
Fitting wasn't too much of a chore. The hose clamps to tighten up the connecting pipes are a bit of pain to get to and they seem to just take forever to tighten. I discovered after fitting that the connection between the Scorpion Y-pipe and the Yamaha pipe from the cat isn't perfect, so I've bought some Holts Firegum to fill up the joints at a later stage. I'm going to buy the Scorpion decat pipe soon so I won't bother with it till then.

The system that Scorpion use to mount the numberplate mount is awful and I had to fiddle about with it for a while until I worked out how it all worked. I have the R&G fender eliminator so that may have caused issues - but I found that I was about 4 bolts shy from what I needed. So I popped down the local hardware store and bought some nice steel ones. After a bit of fiddling it was all done.

Here you can see a close-up showing the DB-killers and the all important e numbers allowing it through an MOT:-

These exhausts were not just bought for the looks however. They were also bought for the sound they make and the extra performance they offer. As for the performance, I have noticed an improvement in engine response and the bike seems to have more pickup at lower speeds. I'd like to see how it's like when I get the decat pipe later and compare that to a stock bike!

As for the sound, it sound amazing! Has a really deep throary idle which changes to a roar above 3000rpm and it screams above 600rpm. I use them with the DB Killers fitted and they sound amazing and nice and loud too. When I took my bike in for it's first service at the dealership I was getting loads of questions about them. And when they started the bike up and rode it round the back to the workshop I could easily hear it from inside the shop. :)

I tried a journey to work and back without the DB-killers fitted and I just knew it was too loud. I ride with Sennheiser CX300 noise-cancelling earphones in and music playing and normally it blocks out most of the engine and wind-noise while still allowing me to hear sirens and horns etc. But with the pipes straight through it was hurting my ears even though I mostly rode under 5000rpm. I also felt really bad for anyone behind me and worried about any Police within a 1 mile radius who might hear them!

I made a couple of videos that I stuck on Youtube to let people hear the different sound options. The first one shows the exhausts along with a walk-round:-
YouTube - Yamaha FZ6 Stock Exhaust VS Scorpion Oval Exhaust #1.1

The second shows a really easy comparison of the different sounds at idle and at 4000rpms:-
YouTube - Yamaha FZ6 Stock Exhaust VS Scorpion Oval Exhaust #2.1

nice thread mate, very informative.
You have gone to lengths to hide your plate, you forgot to edit out of your video.
Lovely pipes to. How much was P&P?

Nelly

I tried a journey to work and back without the DB-killers fitted and I just knew it was too loud. I ride with Sennheiser CX300 noise-cancelling earphones in and music playing and normally it blocks out most of the engine and wind-noise while still allowing me to hear sirens and horns etc. But with the pipes straight through it was hurting my ears even though I mostly rode under 5000rpm. I also felt really bad for anyone behind me and worried about any Police within a 1 mile radius who might hear them!

YouTube - Yamaha FZ6 Stock Exhaust VS Scorpion Oval Exhaust #1.1

YouTube - Yamaha FZ6 Stock Exhaust VS Scorpion Oval Exhaust #2.1

You have gone to lengths to hide your plate, you forgot to edit out of your video.

Nelly

Very nice! Looks great and a really good writeup as well.

With the db killers installed does it hurt your ears? hehe

Nelly
Yeah, I cropped and autofixed all the images in Photoshop before uploading anyway so it only took 5 secs extra to delete the plate. I don't have the software to do it in the video however! :D :Flip:

The pipes came to £320 and the postage was £9. It was next day delivery but it took about a week for the pipes to get to Seastar from Scorpion.

Very nice! Looks great and a really good writeup as well.

With the db killers installed does it hurt your ears? hehe
With the DB killers it's nice and loud but not too loud. :) My 500 twin is louder at the moment as the pipes rusted where they meet up under the engine at until I get them welded it's almost as loud as without headers.

do the new pipes come with the db killers?

As long as you choose the (slightly more expensive) "Road Legal" option. They have a race option that means you don't get them but I think that anyone who rides without them is being a bit selfish towards other road users. They're damn loud open!

Great looking Scorps!!
I have to mention, however, that I think you've installed them incorrectly by 90 degrees (even though they look great as they are...was that intentional?).
From previous photos that I've seen, the cone ends should point "downwards", not sideways.
I could be wrong about that, of course.
Oh...edited to add...that's the best quality and most realistic comparison sound clip I've heard of Scorpions.

Last edited:
Great looking Scorps!!
I have to mention, however, that I think you've installed them incorrectly by 90 degrees (even though they look great as they are...was that intentional?).
From previous photos that I've seen, the cone ends should point \"downwards\", not sideways.
I could be wrong about that, of course.
Oh...edited to add...that's the best quality and most realistic comparison sound clip I've heard of Scorpions.

I don't think they're the wrong way round. I have the oval ones and the brackets they fit into will only let them go the way I have them or with the S's on the outside (180 degrees around). All the pictures I've seen show the S's on the inside of the cans as I have them. Can anyone confirm or deny if I'm right? I'm going to be taking them off in a month or so anyway to fit the decat pipe.

Being oval, I guess you've only got 2 choices...the "S" symbol on the inside or facing outward. Either way, you're right, I guess. :)
The ones I say with the cone ends must have been an earlier "generation" of Scorpions with cone ends....or perhaps they are round rather than oval?
Anyhow...no worries. They look (and sound) great.:thumbup:
I've got DB killers on the way from England for my Scorps....I'm hoping they'll just take the edge of the loudness of the cans, without killing that wonderful sound.

I recently installed the stainless round scorpions from seastar superbikes and found them as easy as you have posted to fit. I payed £295 including p+p.

Here's a couple of photos.Sorry about the poor quality they were taken with my mobile phone.Hope it clears up the confusion regarding the installs.:thumbup:

View attachment 11836

View attachment 11837

View attachment 11838

I recently installed the stainless round scorpions from seastar superbikes and found them as easy as you have posted to fit. I payed £295 including p+p.

Here's a couple of photos.Sorry about the poor quality they were taken with my mobile phone.Hope it clears up the confusion regarding the installs.:thumbup:

View attachment 11836

View attachment 11837

View attachment 11838

They look damn nice mate! I like the fact that with the round ones you can experiment with which way round you have them.

Hope it clears up the confusion regarding the installs.:thumbup:

Thanks for those, I had only recently PM'd Andy about round vs oval. Seeing them both, I don't think the decision is any easier! One thing for sure, I bet they sound awesome :cheer:

Back