Yellow Vis vests

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have not seen this topic raised before and it is always controvertial.

I wear a vis vest as does my partner Jannie. 75% of bike accidents involve other vehicles and a common excuse for the accident happening is "I didn`t see the bike". I also have the dual headlight mod with bright bulbs, I want to be seen. In the last couple of years the wearing of vis vests has become more popular, where I live in Denmark.

I find other traffic does give me more room and appear to see me when I ride. The difference is quite suprising.

What is the opinion of the rest of the guys out there?

Steve

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
I only wear a reflective vest over my bike jacket during the night. I feel that my exhaust gets enough attention during the day.

-Nick-

Manx

Reaction score
Visit site
It made a big difference on my bicycle, but not so much on the motorbike. Mainly I think because cars don't overtake me on the motorbike.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I must admit I don't wear one, - even though I believe in em ......
It's just one of those things I never seem to get around to acquire ... even though I would wear it if I had it ... (And the come quite cheap, so price is no excuse).

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I see some folks wearing them but will admit to allowing "style" to dictate my willingness to wear one myself. There I said it... I know it's a good thing, so is eating salad but I don't always do that either.

I do like the hi-vis gear that Aerostich make.

View attachment 14490

It's funny. I won't wear one of those vests, but I'd wear a full-on yellow suit. Go fish...

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I must admit I don't wear one, - even though I believe in em ......
It's just one of those things I never seem to get around to acquire ... even though I would wear it if I had it ... (And the come quite cheap, so price is no excuse).

Did you see the letters section in Touring Nyt?

Steve

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think they are required on the military bases here, as are helmets, but too many of them take them off as soon as they are off base. I have one that I wear when I am riding to work, but not usually in a group ride

Manx

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats an interesting point Manx.

The most common MC accident is the T-Bone.

Steve

Fair point. But coming up to junctions I change my line on the road so that I don't become a fixed point, and if I think the car may pull out, I slow down and move over as far as possible, ready to gas it if need be.

Having said that, if the weather is grey and miserable I will put on a fluorescent belt.

The laws are changing in Europe where all cars will have their headlights on all the time by law. I think when that happens, I probably will go completely fluorescent.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No he just said that all yellow vis vest wearers were Ars****s basically.

The editor put a note in to ask people to stop writing in because the mag was getting too much mail saying what a tosser this guy must be.

You must never critisize MC safety. I think that is the rule.

Steve

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
No he just said that all yellow vis vest wearers were Ars****s basically.

The editor put a note in to ask people to stop writing in because the mag was getting too much mail saying what a tosser this guy must be.

You must never critisize MC safety. I think that is the rule.

Steve

What a :squid: ......

As long as you don't hurt anyone else, - you should be allowed (and encouraged) to do as much as you possible can safety wise !!

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
I'm involved with the Think Bike campaign, launched in ersponse to the crazy roads here.

BE VISIBLE is advice number one. We promote any and all high vis vests, and have a branded think bike vest which has been customised for high speed riding, tight fitting etc. Better than most on the market.

Despite being referred to as "jelly tots", we prefer to call them moses vests, because they do work!!

WRT cagers cutting across your path, as Manx said, move lanes, BE more visible, i also use main headlight beem, i see you, do you see me? is the message it sends to ANYONE eiter crossing my path, or turning into the flow of traffic.

We're also advocating yellow or orange lights in front, as these are specifically motorcycles, and very visible in even poor weather.

Last, i've mounted strobe units in the headlight, not exactly legal, but ANYTHING to get me noticed in that half a second it takes.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Last, i've mounted strobe units in the headlight, not exactly legal, but ANYTHING to get me noticed in that half a second it takes.

Could you post some more details on the strobe?
(Not legal in Denmark either, - but I don't think that would keep me from mounting it, if it can be done in a covert way).

rainman

Reaction score
Visit site
I started using one as winter approached last year. Feel that a quite a few cagers mistake me for a police bike in their rear-view mirror in traffic and are more prone to move out of my way.
As most of my evening commute is in heavy traffic I'm probably going to use it all summer too.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I only wear a reflective vest over my bike jacket during the night. I feel that my exhaust gets enough attention during the day.

-Nick-
I am not sure that there is any evidence to suggest that a loud pipe actually decreases accidents.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear my vest most of the time, I still have regular occurrences when people pull out in front of me or try to drift in my lane.
I think that they do help though.

Nelly

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear my hi-viz at night or in bad weather, but for the rest of the time the fact that I'm in very eye-catching urban camo gear helps me to be seen... never understood the whole matt black biker gear thing myself. It's hard to look cool while you're being hosed off the undercarriage of a truck.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear one when commuting from point A to point B. If it is a fun ride I bring it with me but don't usually wear it.

I got a cheapo one from home depot with a velcro closure. It has worked well for about 6 months but it is time to get a new one... with a zipper.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I got a cheapo one from home depot with a velcro closure.

Me too. I use it when riding after dark, not so much for the color but the broad strips of retro-reflective material. We don't have all that much in the way of lighting, and I anticipate I'll be even less visible from the rear if/when I get a topcase.

I'm eyeing the mil-spec ones - like most gear of that type, they seem pretty well thought out.