Yamaha FZ8: Set to be a Unique Naked

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is Yamaha about to release an 800cc naked? The teaser on its Euro web site indicates as much, and rumors suggest the bike will be unique in ways aside from engine displacement .

More...

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Now there's something finally to get excited about..... lighter than the current FZ6 with 200cc more motor? And a naked bike? Please, let them keep the peaky powerband......

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Photoshop images of what it may look like:
Moto-Journal_Yamaha-FZ8_BMW-S600RR.gif
fz8t.jpg

Only actual image I could find:
2010yamahafz8.jpg

Last edited:

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a early 90's headlight, and the exhaust is a deal breaker for me. That seat looks very uncomfortable too.. like they stole some plywood from a local build site and streched some fabric over it.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
In that teaser shot of the headlight, you can see that the forks are gold. By taking a closer look, the large diameter of the upper fork tube leads me to believe the FZ8 might actually have USD forks! That would be GREAT!

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Wish people would stop posting those magazine pictures.
All that is, is something someone with too much time on their hands has done up in photoshop to try and bulk out their boring mag.
It doesn't provide anything useful or valid to the conversation, because its unlikely Yamaha get their designs out of random magazines.

The Official pictures however, is quite interesting.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
i hope yamaha sticks with an undertail exhaust or something similar to the street triple, not some short jobber that jets from under the belly like the
fz6r. Please no.

Aleziel

Reaction score
Visit site
i hope yamaha sticks with an undertail exhaust or something similar to the street triple, not some short jobber that jets from under the belly like the
fz6r. Please no.

undertail exhausts look nice, but for a bike thats not supersport i could definitely use the storage space underneath the seat for a couple of nessesary things. short ones look nice too and you dont have the danger of burning yourself, not sure about the practicalities though as i havent ridden something with the new shorty exhauts

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I love the undertail exhaust of my FZ6, but I have to agree that it would be nice to have more storage space under the seat.

And I might be screwed up in the head (that wouldn't be a shocker), but I am really intrigued by the belly exhaust on some newer bikes. I think it looks great on Wavex's XB12Scg and anything that will move weight lower and more to the middle of the bike is a good idea (at least when you're talking about sport-riding...for touring, it's not that big of a deal).

Man, I wish Yamaha would just show us the damn thing already!!! :rockon:

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Was this posted since there is the slight chance this may come to the states? If not it would only make me angrier!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I love the undertail exhaust of my FZ6, but I have to agree that it would be nice to have more storage space under the seat.

And I might be screwed up in the head (that wouldn't be a shocker), but I am really intrigued by the belly exhaust on some newer bikes. I think it looks great on Wavex's XB12Scg and anything that will move weight lower and more to the middle of the bike is a good idea (at least when you're talking about sport-riding...for touring, it's not that big of a deal).

Man, I wish Yamaha would just show us the damn thing already!!! :rockon:

There's a couple of things about the belly muffler, that I wonder about....... (Overall, not a bad idea; I think the aftermarket will struggle with them.)

1) Because they are so close to the ground, the structure is usually quite beefy. Mass means weight. We're talking as much as the OEM undertail unit on the FZ6, minimum..... probably more because it can be torn off hitting curbs, etc. It may have less effect on turn in, because the that mass is closer to the center of rotation.... but it still weighs more than it might.

2) When all you have is that little stub sticking out of the muffler box under the bike............ how much would you be willing to pay for a slip on? Doesn't it seem more and more ludicrous, how much we are charged for a glass pack? What would that glass pack accomplish?

My VF1100S had a similar setup in 1985. Right behind the motor, running crosswise right below the swingarm there was a resonance chamber.... effectively a VW bug type muffler so there was enough exhaust volume to balance the headers from the front and rear cylinders in the Vee four. From there, to two slip on mufflers. You could make the bike louder with different slip ons, but there were almost no true 'header' systems you could mount.... the plumbing was a nightmare.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Most underbelly mufflers for the Buells are between $250 and $400. Mine was $300 and weighs 7lbs. Swap took about 30minutes while taking my time :)

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah the stock Ulysse muffler is the same as the stock XB12 muffler. It is huge and heavy and ugly, like all OEM mufflers these day -whether underbelly or not- due to continually increasing emission standards...