• None of the above - I use a different brand

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • None of the above - I don't use a disc lock

Votes: 10 27.0%

• Total voters

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
Simple survey for my edumacation and that of others -- I'm looking at a Xena disc lock / alarm for use at work, and I wanted to know which models folks had been able to fit on relatively stock discs on any model FZ6.

I dunno that I want / need the XX10 or the XX14 when the XX6 might be sufficient at $20 less cost.

Thanks,
nthdegreeburns

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the XX14 and it's great, nothing bad to say about it. It easily fits under the seat to.

Regarding which one to take, i would think that the biggest one that fits would be the best idea, a 20$ difference is pretty negligible considering it could prevent your bike from being stolen!

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I currently have a non-audible one (never used it actually).

Years back, I had a Xena audible one I used on a road trip. It rained overnight and the thing shorted out and went off!! I couldn't turn it off until I pulled the battery, PIA. I'm sure their much better now.

I would look towards the loudest and if its adjustable (sensativity wise).

Bigger is generaly better, but you still have to store it..

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got the yellow xx10 about 2 yrs ago n is still working great! original battery too! the yellow paint is beat up bad tho:(

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the XX14 and it's great, nothing bad to say about it. It easily fits under the seat to.

Regarding which one to take, i would think that the biggest one that fits would be the best idea, a 20$ difference is pretty negligible considering it could prevent your bike from being stolen!

how sensitive is it? Last thing I want is this thing going off all day when I cant hear it, and then someone knocking over my bike cuzed their pissed :)

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
how sensitive is it? Last thing I want is this thing going off all day when I cant hear it, and then someone knocking over my bike cuzed their pissed :)

You can "adjust" the sensitivity by placing it higher or lower on the disc brake, the different angle will change the sensitivity, they explain it in the manual.
I just put mine in the middle and it is sensitive enough to get triggered if someone sits on the bike or try to move the handlebars, but it will not be randomly triggered by wind, birds, rabbits...

Regarding it ringing all day that's not possible.

If the lock detects movement, it will beep 5 times, you then have 10 seconds to remove it, if not it will ring for 15 seconds then stop.
If it keeps detecting movement it will carry on ringing, when movement stops, it stops.
I have never had it get stuck and ring for ages.

Let me tell you that even 15 seconds feels like eternity when this thing is on, it really is painfully loud!

Last edited:

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
Another one for the brushed metal XX14 - the most solid lock I could find with integrated alarm.

You quickly learn to take it off and put it on in time for the confirmation beep ;)

On occasion mine goes off randomly but I think this is attributed to the placing on the disc as mentioned above.

Very happy customer :thumbup:

Y

yourebarred

First one the alarm went off when it was under the seat but they sent me a new unit and all good so far.

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
You can "adjust" the sensitivity by placing it higher or lower on the disc brake, the different angle will change the sensitivity, they explain it in the manual.
I just put mine in the middle and it is sensitive enough to get triggered if someone sits on the bike or try to move the handlebars, but it will not be randomly triggered by wind, birds, rabbits...

Regarding it ringing all day that's not possible.

If the lock detects movement, it will beep 5 times, you then have 10 seconds to remove it, if not it will ring for 15 seconds then stop.
If it keeps detecting movement it will carry on ringing, when movement stops, it stops.
I have never had it get stuck and ring for ages.

Let me tell you that even 15 seconds feels like eternity when this thing is on, it really is painfully loud!

Thanks for taking the time to write this. I was reading Amazon reviews, and the negative ones were people just complaining about the sensitivity, and nobody mentioned you could change it.

I will hopefully be going on a few overnight road trips this year, and will make sure to pick it up before my first. Last thing I want to do is wake up in some motel in bumblefck and be without a bike

Chuck123

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes,

I too would like to know which Xena disc alarm is the best and or highest grade Xena :confused:alarm for my 2012 FZ6R.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
A bit off subject but if you want to know what's the best thief deterrent, why not get it from a real motorcycle thief:

Link: Ask a Thief: Inside Story on Motorcycle Theft | The Smoking Tire

Excerpt:

2) Never, ever, never never never, NEVER leave your bike outside at an apartment complex. Especially one with a gated parking garage. The gated parking garage in a mid to high rise apartment building in the nice part of a large city is the number one place for bike thieves to go "shopping."
As far as passive devices go I like the NYC fughetaboutit chain/lock from Kryptonite, the thicker of the two. It needs to go through something like a braced swingarm whenever possible. If you absolutely have to put it through a wheel put it through the rear wheel. It takes much longer to swap than the front wheel.
Any $100 disc lock will work well, again, rear wheel, locks on the front are more easily defeated, take my word for it. Cheaper disc locks can be quietly, well, we'll leave it at that, cheap ones can be defeated in silence. Lo-jack and Lo-Jack w/early warning are pretty good at recovering the bikes from amateurs and semi-pros, but someone who knows what they are doing will remove the lojack system quickly after clearing the area. Still someone even more professional (surprisingly rare) will have somewhere to check/store/breakdown the bike that is rf shielded. The problem with lo-jack is that it doesn't keep someone from stealing the bike. Even if you get it back in one piece without the police crashing into your bike to catch the thief you'll still likely have a broken upper triple, damage to the neck of your frame (Steering lock), damage to your ignition, damage to the tank lock, possible damage to the tank itself (rareish) possible damage to the trunk lock , and then your insurance company might **** you too. It's much better to not get the bike stolen in the first place. So in addition to lo-jack you want some sort of VISIBLE passive devices to make the thief move on. The paging alarms are somewhat effective, but they aren't linked to the police. Removing electronic devices is obviously more of a mental challenge than a physical one. The quality of the install is a huge factor here. Hide the lo-jack or alarm in or under the airbox and all the wiring within the factory looms and you'll have a good set up. However, almost NO dealer tech is this thorough. It's not his bike, why would he go the extra mile?

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to write this. I was reading Amazon reviews, and the negative ones were people just complaining about the sensitivity, and nobody mentioned you could change it.

Everybody thinks they are smarter than the manual!

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to have the "Gorilla" brand, paging alarm on my FJR, then later transferred to my Goldwing for road trips.

You could adjust all kinds of things, how close someone could get before it started sounding the horn, flashing the lights etc.

Notification/paging range was about 3/4 a mile with a built in battery (as the theives usually first, disable the battery-especially in the wing-easily accessable). You can also tie it into the ignition system to disable it (I didn't do that).

An alarm like this, would tend to make theives move onto a bike without flashing lights, screaming horns, etc.

With that said, when I was still working as a police officer, we had a ring of thieves stealing bikes. Eventually they were caught. They would pull up to the the target bike in a box truck, muscle the bike up into the truck (mostly go fast bikes) in literally seconds, close the cargo door and be off and away in a minute or two tops...

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Does the brake disc adjustment for sensitivity work as well when the lock is used on the rear wheel?

It's not an adjustment per se, it's just that by putting the lock higher or lower on the disc you change the angle of things and the way the internal movement detector picks things up.

The manual says to start using the lock at the 9 o'clock position, if for some reason it is to sensitive move it towards the 6 o'clock position, if not enough, move it towards the 12 o'clock position.

Personally i have always used it at the 9 0'clock position and never had an issue with it. I assume it would work the same way on the rear wheel.

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the alarm on my bike for close to a year along with the add-on cable that goes though the headers and front wheels. It provides peace of mind(especially after the bike got stolen once) knowing there is a physical lock AND it makes noise if the bike is moved. But sensitivity is not a consistent thing with this lock. Sometimes it detects immediately when I move it to unlock, and sometimes fails even if I unlock the handlebar and turn it.
It is loud if you are close to it, but in an open area, I feel it might need a bit more volume. It is sometimes tough to hear the alarm properly if you park in it a open parking lot and are inside your house with all windows closed.
Oh, and I have an IPCam pointed at it 24/7 and can(long pending project) add a cheap trigger to send me a msg and video if anyone moves it.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally i have always used it at the 9 0'clock position and never had an issue with it. I assume it would work the same way on the rear wheel.

My question was more -- do you have this range of adjustment for the Xena sensitivity on the rear brake disc with the swingarm and such?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
My question was more -- do you have this range of adjustment for the Xena sensitivity on the rear brake disc with the swingarm and such?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Well since all you have to do is change the position of it i assume you can!
But then i have never tried using a disc lock on the rear wheel...

If you plan on using it on the rear you should compare the holes in the front and rear discs to make sure the pin isn't to wide to fit!

I would check but i am not currently in the same country as my bike.

gcb922

Reaction score
Visit site

I've got the the XX6 and think it's great - Fits perfectly anywhere from the noon to 6pm position. The pin is small enough to fit in the vent hole or the set of holes further back (as seen in this shot).

xena_xx6.jpg