Worst Ride Ever.

Luiz

Reaction score
Visit site
Other than laying my bike down once this was the worst ride.

I prepared with long johns, ski socks, ski gloves, jeans, sweater, boots, and a leather jacket.

The trip is from Boca Raton to Orlando. 189 miles. I make it in one tank. Well for anyone that knows the weather down here is in the 30s and with the wind even colder. After about 100 miles of uncomfortable riding I stop to get coffee. My toes were numb and hands were frozen.

I felt refreshed after the stop and then I see tank is empty and the reserve started clocking the miles. It reads 33 miles while I'm going about 100mph and I am getting a constant decrease in speed so I pull over on the shoulder of the highway and cruise about 20mph until I am completely out. (I've done this trip on one tank 6 times, I run out of gas at 39--40 miles not 33.....

I am at exit 198 and the next station is at 201. I push my bike 3 miles took about an hour and 10 minutes.

8 motorcycles, 5 police officers/troopers and thousands of cars pass. Only one person stopped and I was about 10 minutes away from the exit, so I thanked her so much but said that she didn't need to go home to get gas.

I feel it's an unknown law that cycles should stop for cycles. Is it just in America that people could care less or is this everywhere? I know in Brazil way more people would have stopped for me. It was 3pm on a Sunday afternoon it's not as if they had work.

Lesson learned, never letting reserve go past 20.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To be honest I wouldn't have stopped.... It really isn't safe to... I realize it sucks but you can thank the psycho's out there for that.... Anyway one note. I used to go snowmobiling up here in NY and I didn't dress that warm...... Maybe you shouldn't have gone....

Luiz

Reaction score
Visit site
I won't stop for a car with more than 1 person in it, but a 19 year old on a motorcycle...

I have classes tomorrow no choice.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
It can be a scary world out there, and I don't stop for cars or people on foot, but I would have at least offered to bring back some gas for you. Sorry you had to go through that.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If the air is colder, it takes more fuel to maintain a proper a/f ratio. Why would you not stop for gas like when you stopped for coffee? It's like asking for it.

Luiz

Reaction score
Visit site
If the air is colder, it takes more fuel to maintain a proper a/f ratio. Why would you not stop for gas like when you stopped for coffee? It's like asking for it.

Again I made the trip 6 times before on one tank of gas.
It would have saved me an hour and a half if I did though....

I know it would take gas, more but running out 47 miles before time??
is that possible?

Next time I am stopping earlier for sure.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To be honest I have, and would have, stopped and asked you what you needed. If it was gas I would have headed for a can and some gas. I won't usually stop on a mechanical problem though.
It's a personal preference and not all people feel comfortable with strangers.
If I was with kids and/or my wife I might not chance it..

LEO's passing you by is just wrong....

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Again I made the trip 6 times before on one tank of gas.
It would have saved me an hour and a half if I did though....

I know it would take gas, more but running out 47 miles before time??
is that possible?

Next time I am stopping earlier for sure.

Yea, it is possible. Especially since you said you were doing 100mph. Cruising along slower it will still burn more, but zipping right along at higher rpms will only compound the effect. I could see it reducing your mpg easily by ~25% which is about what makes sense from what you stated.

Sorry it happened. I probably would have stopped because it was an FZ.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you leave with a full tank? Was it topped off. Full tank and not having it topped off can be a 20 mile difference.

Like others have said, riding 90 or even 100 mpg will burn up fuel.

I believe you were on the Turnpike, so don't they have call boxes every mile? Isn't that's what it's for, for people who :spank:

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We learn these lessons the hard way.

I always start thinking about filling up when the level shows half or less. I believe (may just be paranoia) the indicator is non-linear, it seems to go down faster after half-way.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Before I got my TPS recall done, I was getting suddenly terrible mileage, like somewhere around 100 per tank. After it was done, it was back up to more than 200.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
in about October my tank range drops from about 240 miles until i am too scared to keep going on reserve all the way down to a hair under 200 miles per tank, the cold air completely messes with the computer and A/F mixture.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! I would've stopped. Would've taken off to get some fuel for you, and if it was hot brought you back a bottle of water or something. Can never have too much good karma.

Cager broken down in 41 degree C heat on Saturday. I stopped. Advised him on a little known road that is shaded by trees and has no real ups and downs, keeping the ambient down and the road cool so he could make more distance each time before overheating.

I then zoomed off and came back via that road and followed him until he had to stop again and handed over 2 bottles of cold water for him and his wife.

Cost to me......2 bucks. The look on his face when he saw that I'd gone to the trouble of helping him out.......priceless:thumbup:.

Left them sitting in the shade in one of the coolest spots in the hills, with a nice view and something cool to drink.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I would have stopped, especially if I saw you pushing your bike....pretty much tells everyone you are out of gas. Shame on the LEO's for just passing by too. Too busy writing chicken s*it tickets to bother I guess.

I have to ask though man, and I know you said you've done the trip 6 times before on one tank, but why were you igonroing the information your bike was giving you? Your bike has a gas gauge for a reason and honestly there should be no reason to ever run out of gas when your bike has a gas gauge AND a fuel trip meter directly in front of you.

Sucks that you ran out of gas, but the good thing is after this I doubt it will ever happen to you again!

On a side note about helping other motorists, on the SBN forums a while back they started up a RAR program - Road Assisting Rider. I rememebr I made up and submitted RAR business card templates that you can print out in MS Word and carry with you. It was for helping put the people your are stopping to help at ease as some out there might get a little nervous about some geared up biker stopping when/if they are all alone. Not sure what ever happend to RAR - last posts were in 2007. I still carry some of the cards with me.

RAR Info Here: http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/general-sportbikes/357822-rars-something-new.html

RAR Card Word Document Download Here: http://members.shaw.ca/fazed2/Docs/RAR Business Card - Avery 8377.doc

Maybe we could start our own version of an FZ6 RAR? Have a link to the the forum on the cards?

Last edited:

Luiz

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you leave with a full tank? Was it topped off. Full tank and not having it topped off can be a 20 mile difference.

Like others have said, riding 90 or even 100 mpg will burn up fuel.

I believe you were on the Turnpike, so don't they have call boxes every mile? Isn't that's what it's for, for people who :spank:

Yes it was a full tank I was on 95 and saw a call box but I really wanted to get off the highway before sunset and have no idea how long they would have taken.

Maybe we could start our own version of an FZ6 RAR? Have a link to the the forum on the cards?

That is a great Idea. But ya I should have payed attention to the signs my bike gave me. You are absolutely right it will NEVER happen again lol

Can never have too much good karma.

Great saying and you are one in a million.

LEO's passing you by is just wrong....

2 of them turned their sirens on just as they were passing.....

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Roadside assistance may have helped. Do you have that with your insurance?
In this situation, if I run out of gas in my car or bike, I can get a tow truck driver to bring a container with some gas in it. I just have to pay him for the gas. It costs me an extra 10$ a month for roadside assistance. It's good for up to $300 worth of towing, etc.

I know this because I once ran out of gas in my car lol. :BLAA:

Don't beat yourself over your head with this. It's all part of getting more experience and it's all part of the adventure. At least you made it to the gas station. :thumbup:
Just don't let it happen again! :D

Last edited:

Getaway

Reaction score
Visit site
I just have to pay him for the gas. It costs me an extra 10$ a month for roadside assistance. It's good for up to $300 worth of towing, etc.

I have roadside assistance on my cell phone AT&T. Costs under $5 amonth and works regardless of which vehicle I'm in. Got locked out of my car, called Star Help and they were there in 30 minutes. Great peace of mind.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
People can be such jerks. I will always stop for a bike, no matter what. Cars it depends how many people are in the vehicle, if it looks suspicious and what I am doing. Glad you made it okay, walking along a freeway can be some scary stuff.

bergj1986

Helmet Hair
Reaction score
Visit site
Luiz, where in FL do you live? Are you closer to Boca or Orlando?

Interesting I'm reading this story considering my bike is pretty much running on fumes right now, wasn't sure I'd make the 5 miles ride for lunch :-o