World's most boring ride/route: Sacramento-LA

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Interstate 5, from Sacramento to LA is, undoubtedly, the world's most boring route. Well, let's say 300 miles of the total 381 mile trip. There is no route more boring anywhere in the world (money back guarantee). What's worse, there's a speed limit of 70 MPH when it should be 100MPH or so.

Sacramento, CA to Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps

If you stop only for fuel, you can do it in 7 hours. Looks like this (or a big chunk of it) might be on the agenda this summer for the NorCal/So Cal ride scheduled for July 15:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/im-going-ride-you-comin/35489-norcal-socal-ride-2011-a-11.html

rger8

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep that would be a bummer, all those Oleander bushes that seperate the highway that never ends!. I feel my butt hurting already:(

I would like to take Hwy-395 all the way up to Tahoe, now that would be kool! I am sorting my beast out to maybe try this soon. I have to work up the guts. I'm not a real road warrior but I would like to try something epic, at least in my mind anyway!

Chupacabra

College Graduate??
Reaction score
Visit site
Sacramento to Louisiana would be pretty boring...:justkidding:

That is a very dull, farmy drive. At least there are some strawberries to enjoy along the way!

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden all the basic routes from North-South: 5, 101, PCH, 395...

The 5 by far was the worst ride EVER. So boring. PCH was fun, but made for a very long day. 395 is pretty boring too until you actually get to Tahoe.

Next time don't do the speed limit and just make sure there is some jackle in his cage going faster than you. He'll get the ticket, not you.:spank:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My vote would be I-10 between San Antonio & El Paso Texas. There is nothing between the 500 miles of slab, at least the speed limit is 80 mph for the most part.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Clearly you have never ridden on I-95 through Southern Virginia, North and South Carolina! Nothing but long leaf pines on both sides, a few exits, FLAT as a pancake, no curves whatsoever. At least out west you have some views.

Here is what it looks like for 400 miles:
DrivingThroughNorthCarolinaOnI95S.jpg

I always take the Appalachians when I ride on the east coast. :thumbup:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Clearly you have never ridden on I-95 through Southern Virginia, North and South Carolina! Nothing but long leaf pines on both sides, a few exits, FLAT as a pancake, no curves whatsoever. At least out west you have some views.

Here is what it looks like for 400 miles:
DrivingThroughNorthCarolinaOnI95S.jpg

I always take the Appalachians when I ride on the east coast. :thumbup:

Try 500miles with only desert on both sides. That's highway 5 from LA to San Francisco. At least with the drive you show, there are some trees to look at.:cheer:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Interstate 5, from Sacramento to LA is, undoubtedly, the world's most boring route. Well, let's say 300 miles of the total 381 mile trip. There is no route more boring anywhere in the world (money back guarantee). What's worse, there's a speed limit of 70 MPH when it should be 100MPH or so.

Sacramento, CA to Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps

If you stop only for fuel, you can do it in 7 hours. Looks like this (or a big chunk of it) might be on the agenda this summer for the NorCal/So Cal ride scheduled for July 15:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/im-going-ride-you-comin/35489-norcal-socal-ride-2011-a-11.html

AAAHHHHH, my friend! Being in the military, I use to drive from Alameda to L. A. 3 times a month( dating future ex-wife), I would zone out as soon as I would hit the 5, stop in Cattleman City for gas and again at the Grape Vine.
Enjoy the extra 2 hours and take PCH like others have suggested........Please. trust the others and myself. My best time in my tacoma was about 5 hrs.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Try 500miles with only desert on both sides. That's highway 5 from LA to San Francisco. At least with the drive you show, there are some trees to look at.:cheer:

Yes, I've been up and down I-95 thruogh Virginia, yeah it's kind of boring but as Rob mentioned, you have the beautiful pine trees.

I-5 between Sacramento and LA, done that probably at least 50 times, and that''s pretty boring however there are some rolling hillsidies and some green to look at occasionally. What makes the drive or ride horrible is the cattle farms or slaughter houses, cramming about a million cattle on both sides of the highway near Coalinga Ca. The smell from the stench is unbearable.

The ride through the Dakotas, north or south is boring too. But at least you have all the Wall Drug Signs to read when you're on I-90.

I-10 between SAT and ELP is still the worst. Remember, it's 500 miles of nothing, not 2 or 300 miles.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I've been up and down I-95 thruogh Virginia, yeah it's kind of boring but as Rob mentioned, you have the beautiful pine trees.

Having lived on the East Coast all my life I guess we both see these things differently. To me long leaf pines are ugly, plain and boring trees. To you they are beautiful! :thumbup:

I'd rather be able to see farther than the shoulders of the road is all. When you live in a flat pine forest, the mountains and wide open spaces seem so much less claustrophobic.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Is you crazy?

Try Edmonton to Regina!

The money back guarantee only applies if you take the Sacramento-LA Interstate 5 and aren't satisfied. Then, there are additional steps that you must take. Same rules apply for

Shawn
VEGASRIDER
FIZZER6
The Dude
rsw81

NO EXCEPTIONS! (offer expires midnight TONIGHT, June 2, 2011).

Last edited: