wiring help - additional brakelight

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
For xmas I recieved a SHAD case and all hardware including an additional brake light. I need help wiring the brake light. I am horrible when it comes to electrical so a how to wire in this brake light for dummies would be very very helpful.

Attached are pictures of the ends of the wiring and the brake light installed, for those who would like to see it. My guess is the current 'wiring harness' on the Shad brake light isn't going to be much help and I will need to just splice into the current three brake light wires black, blue, and yellow but I don't know which ones should go to which.

Please help... THANKS

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
If you have a multimeter, it won't be too bad to figure out what needs to go where....

the red lead should carry the 12V, and the black will attach to the return line. Sure would be nice if you can use the 'bullet' quick disconnects, and put your Shad brake light 'in line' with your OEM brake light.

Get to the point where you can accesss the three wires going to the tail light. With your meter in Ohms, find the wire that has almost zero resistance going to the frame, or motor on the bike. That's the return, which you will connect your black wire to.

Seems pretty simple, but I'd write down which one's which for future reference.

Once you have that sorted out, switch the meter to volts DC. Turn the ignition key to 'on' but don't start the bike. (no need for it to be running for this)

Put the black probe on the motor or frame, and use the red probe to contact one of the two remaining leads going to the bulb. If you get 12V... that's the running light. The other one is the brake light lead. If you probe the remaining lead, and while in contact with it have someone operate the front or rear brakes, you should see 12V when they 'make' the switch. It should go away, when they release the brake.....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Per the Yamaha manual (electrical diagram for an 07) The running light is blue, the brake YELLOW. ,

Tie the shad red into the Yamaha yellow (brake).

Tie the shad black into the Yamaha black line(ground).

Scott

Last edited: