windshield

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Puig Double Bubble tinted on mine. Bought it from a Yamaha dealership. I like it over the stock one. And it makes the bike look way better.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
any body know where i can get a aftermarket windshield for an 07 fz6?

Welcome to the site, just use the search tab on top by using some keywords and you should find what you're looking for. There are almost 6000 different threads on this site, unless it's a very technical question, its probably on here somewhere with numerous replies. It's a great place for Q's and A's. You found the right place. I have a PUIG windscreen in light smoke by the way for my '06. I love it, paid about $80 with tax and shipping.

clunk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got the CalSci large one. I've installed it, but won't get to ride w/ it 'til tomorrow. S'posed to be a little better for protection, but definitely tilts the look away from sport and towards touring.

BTW, I somehow managed to push two of the mounting grommets down into the front fairing in my first installation attempt. They managed to sneak down into the front of the fairing where I couldn't get to them. Ended up having to lay the bike on it's side and then gently whack the bottom of the fairing to bounce them out. What should've been a 10 minute installation (including a 5 minute coffee break) took me over an hour.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Clunk, I'll definitely be interested in how those huge CalSci shields work. Put a pic with your report. I've trying to find the optimal balance of wind blast (which was exhausting when I was riding my first naked bike) and turbulence (which became an issue when I put a big shield on it). Now on the FZ6 07, I find with the Puig Racing that I have pretty good protection from wind blast but occassional turbulence. Can tuck under it, but I prefer riding upright, so I'm interested if that new screen will solve both problems at once. Some have opined that the larger screen acts as a sail and causes turbulence. Those things are darned expensive too. I have a Puig touring screen on order, which is much smaller (I think) than the CS. I'm 6'1".

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey cv_rider, I have the CalSci 8+ windshield for awhile now. Love the protection i get from any windblast, most especially when passing a semi.
I have it off right now because I do mostly short rides around town. With regards to appearance well it's a 3-4 out of 10 and that's being generous, but functionality I'd give it a 10. No buffeting what so ever. I will be placing it back on for long rides, where it excels. Here is a picture of it on the FZ6.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Blue, thanks for those pics. Interesting that you don't experience buffeting, and others have speculated that the larger windscreen acts like a sail. Doesn't seem to be your experience. I have the Puig Touring on backorder. Between that and Puig Race, I'll have spent as much as the CalSci. Maybe I can tape them together and get the same performance...

Do you look through the screen or over it?

clunk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Visit site
Got a chance to ride to work a couple of times this week, so I can finally give my impression of the CalSci +9 windshield. The biggest difference that I notice is that I no longer get beaten up at highway speeds. The scrren blocks my entire torso with my arms left out in the breeze. The airstream now hits me near the top of my visor (i'm 6'0"), but doesn't seem to toss my head around like the standard screen. Head checks are now easy and pleasant unlike before where it seemed like my head was going to be ripped sideways by the wind. While airflow to my torso is reduced, I also just got a phase change vest that kept me comfortable in the 99 deg heat yesterday (even when stopped!).

The winds yesterday were 20 (gusting to 30) mph which previously would have made me very uncomfortable. Now, I could still feel the wind moving the bike around very noticeably, but the difference was that I was no longer trying to be pushed off by the wind. Made for a much calmer (but still squirrely) ride. Truck blasts were still noticeable, but again, they blasted the bike and not me.

My only negative is that the noise level is still about the same. However, it bothers me more now because the rest of the ride is so pleasant. I occassionally used ear plugs previously, but now I am making a point of it since the ride is near perfect without the noise.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man that CalSci is gynormaous! Looks like it is perfect for touring. I'm planning to take off my Puig sport and put the stock screen back on for comparison sake. I think I get too much wind noise with the slightly tall screen and not much more protection.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the CalSci. I have a +9.5. it almost eliminates the truck blast and even gives great highway wind protection. I was planning to switch back to the stock for around town, but I've been too lazy to do that.

gomd3

Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my bike it came with some aftermartek black shield, I bought an original one and painted it with primer and added my own design to change the look a bit, I'll post up some pics when I got it mounted but if you are just trying to change the look and not the function of the stock then a little tape and spray will go a long way