Whoops - did I mix up the radiator bolts?

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I performed BD43's headlight mod yesterday and, while I was at it and had help from a more experienced motorcycle tinkerer, also changed out the spark plugs on an 2007 FZ6 with 14K miles on it.

My friend was moving faster than I was and removed the bolt from the top of the radiator (that looks to be on a swingarm, allows the radiator to flip down) and the bottom bolt (which appears to connect to a bracket which goes back to the coolant reservoir).

We THOUGHT top bolt was silver with no washer and the bottom bolt was dark with a washer. Top bolt screwed back in against the rubber bushing on the swingarm (???) without a hitch. Bottom bolt fit fine but wouldn't catch any threads.

Did I strip out the bottom bolt bracket OR are the bolts in swapped? I didn't swap them back for fear of stripping out the top swingarm.

I'll post photos as soon as it's light. In the interim, we safety wired the bottom of the radiator to the bracket that I'm concerned that I stripped out.

Thanks,
nthdegreeburns

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My 07 has a large washer (the same diameter as the rubber grommit) on both bolts, the lower bolt just barely sticks out the bottom fully tightened down.

The top bolt and washer have a greenish tint to them. the bottom appears more normal, (silver).

Is it possible you swapped a both from the battery hold down, or under the tank bolt, with a radiator bolt?

I believe both those bolts have the larger washer "pressed" on to the bolt stock (and won't come off without some serious hammering in a vise).

**Both those bolts, going up against the rubber mount SHOULD HAVE a LARGE washer, the size of the rubber grommit in any case...

To check the bottom nut for the threads, just run a metric bolt (same size/threads, etc) thru it from the other side. I doubt you stripped it.

Even if you did, get a longer bolt, larger washer and a self locking nut. Run the new bolt and washer thru the lower mount, thru the orignal welded nut, the install the self locking nut (nylon insert). Home Depo, most hardware stores carry metric bolts, metric washers- not so much..

Last edited:

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a fiche from Ron Ayers...RADIATOR & HOSE

If you feel you've strpped the thread on the bracket the good news is it's not a blind hole. It's straight through so you should be able to get a metric nut for the bolt. You may have to get a longer bolt to facilitate the added nut. You could order a new bracket.

The longer green colored bolt is relieved on the end so that it acts as a pilot/locator. :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I remember now. That one bolt is fine, its machined that way so you can get it in easily.

Where the black rubber bushing is showing, put in the bolt with the big washer.

The other (what looks like a washer) is a "shouldered" (probably not the right word) washer. The bolt you have without the washer, simply goes in there. The shouldered bolt already spreads the load out on the lower bushing, just needs a regular bolt in it...:thumbup:

The attached pic is of a radiator/fan shield I made that uses the stock bottom bolt. You can see the bolt does NOT have the large washer. With my bracket, that bolt holds my bracket in protecting the space inbetween the radiator and the fan...

You can see on the picture (which IS THE LOWER BOLT) is a REGULAR BOLT, NOT THE LARGE WASHER BOLT.

Double click on the pic to enlarge them...

Last edited:

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I remember now. That one bolt is fine, its machined that way so you can get it in easily.

Where the black rubber bushing is showing, put in the bolt with the big washer...

You can see on the picture (which IS THE LOWER BOLT) is a REGULAR BOLT, NOT THE LARGE WASHER BOLT.

Thanks to you and Motogiro both -- I hunted down the parts fiche from the Yamaha site and was able to confirm that I have them swapped (will verify at home tonight):

View attachment 52546

The fiche from the Yamaha website indicates the top bolt is the one with the washer and the pilot tip. Unless I'm misreading the above...

Taz3

Reaction score
Visit site
My mechanic forgot to put the lower bolt back in :(

The parts fiche has a part number, but I can't find the measurement or type of bolt it should be... do I really have to order this from somewhere? Or does someone know the type/size and I can pick it up at a hardware store or something?

Thanks!