Who likes short shorts? (riding equipment poll)

What do you wear when you ride?

• Total voters

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Head to toe gear all the time; interchanging between a JR Hybrid mesh jacket and a 3/4 length jacket, and between Draggin' jeans and JR touring pants...

ATGATT :thumbup:

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
acrobatics.jpg

bane

Boss
Reaction score
Visit site
To be honest, I cannot admit that I wear all the gear all the time, my exceptions of all equipment is when I woke up in the morning and take a lap to the nearest coffee shop, (about 1 km from my home).. So please don't judge me (off course I wear helmet)..

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I got better riding pants this year, Firstgears that zip and velcro waaay up the legs to make it faster and easier to get in-n-out with boots on. So far, I've worn them everytime I ride, and I intend to keep it up even when it gets hot, but it has been damned near frigid in Boston this "spring" so it's easy for me to be all gung ho about it... it's 55 out. If/when it gets hot out, I'll just have to change into work pants at work and wear just the riding pants on the bike.

Oh and otherwise I alwalys wear everything, no exceptions. Alpinestars boots, decent gloves, Shoei Rf1000, Firstgear jacket.

crimsonrick

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride to work most days (about 6.5 miles, 8-10 minutes), & have to wear slacks & polos to work. I always wear my armored jacket , gloves & helmet, but don't have riding pants. I have a pair of riding shoes but spending 8-10 hours on a concrete floor has stopped me from wearing them every day. I live on the Alabama Gulf coast & it kills me in the summer to see folks hauling a$$ wearing shorts, tank tops & sneakers or flip-flops. I might be a little warm when I get where I'm going, but I make myself wear my mesh armor, even when it's 100 degrees & I do wear my riding shoes away from work. I know I'm rolling the dice on my commute, but that's just the way it is.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
I voted fully equipped sometimes. My bare minimum is jacket, gloves and a helmet. If I'm going to be on the bike long, I"ll wear work boots. If I'm just hopping around town with my g/f in tow I will wear sneakers as they are more comfortable when it's hot out.

If I am heading out to twisties or doing any sort of agressive riding whatsoever I wear my A* boots and leathers.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted fully equipped sometimes. My bare minimum is jacket, gloves and a helmet. If I'm going to be on the bike long, I"ll wear work boots. If I'm just hopping around town with my g/f in tow I will wear sneakers as they are more comfortable when it's hot out.

If I am heading out to twisties or doing any sort of agressive riding whatsoever I wear my A* boots and leathers.

For those who ride with sneakers; two things.

First, the laces have a tendancy to get caught on your foot pegs. When they do, it will prevent you from putting your foot down when you need to. Result will be dropping or falling off your bike, or both. It could happen in your driveway like my roomate with his R6, or in front of an audience during a red light. Trust me, it will be just a matter of time.

Second, in the event of a crash, if your foot has any contact with the pavement going at a significant speed, 30mph plus, your shoes will come flying off. Almost every crash video I have watched where the rider was wearing sneakers, they show that they end up shoeless on the ground.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
For those who ride with sneakers; two things.

First, the laces have a tendancy to get caught on your foot pegs. When they do, it will prevent you from putting your foot down when you need to. Result will be dropping or falling off your bike, or both. It could happen in your driveway like my roomate with his R6, or in front of an audience during a red light. Trust me, it will be just a matter of time.

Second, in the event of a crash, if your foot has any contact with the pavement going at a significant speed, 30mph plus, your shoes will come flying off. Almost every crash video I have watched where the rider was wearing sneakers, they show that they end up shoeless on the ground.

I'm well aware of the consequences but it's one of those things I'm willing to risk. Like I said, I only do it around town where I know the roads, speed limits and places to look for stupid drivers.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just about to head home from work, and as usual I will wear my Hornee Cargo pants with strategically placed Kevlar panels, My (new) winter weight RST Paragon Hi vis Jacket, my Shoei Xr1100, my motorad gore tex gloves, my Dainese boots (and just coz its raining I'll put on the plastic pants), if it were summer I'd only change the jacket to an A-stars mesh jacket with a Dainese hardshell back protector.

I stopped riding in lace ups years ago, but my son came off last October, he was lucky .....the laces ripped from his boots, and he tore a huge hole in his kevlar pants at the knee, got a nice graze out of it but he still has his knee cap. The gloves saved his hands, the jacket saved his back and shoulders The helmet a full face, probably saved him from a broken nose at the very least. He came off again two weeks back, but this time new boots-no dramas. The bike both times has needed some time in the shop. But he is still riding, not put off by a spill and always vigilant( both drops were solo), I am glad he lives by the mantra ATGATT

CDE

Reaction score
Visit site
There should be one for MOST of the time. I'm talking 98%. Once in a while it's fun to go for a cruise in just helmet, pants and a shirt...I never wear shorts because they end up giving you a reverse wedgey when they catch the wind!!

But only a few times a season...don't do anything where road rash would result. :spank:

I do need to get some pants this year though....

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm definitely in the minority around here for wearing full gear. On my long commute home from work yesterday, I must have seen 10-20 bikers and I can only recall one guy in full gear. Nearly everyone else in t-shirts, 1/2 and 1/2 jean-shorts ratio, and same for gloves. It was a warm day, and I was definitely envious of the comfort factor, but I'd rather give myself the chance to walk away. I have no doubt that most of these folk would be even without a helmet if it weren't the law.

Funny enough the one guy with gear was on a sport tourer of some sort.

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll admit I'm never in full gear. I don't even own a pair of riding pants or boots.

I am very much aware of the risks of not wearing full gear, and with what I don't have (or when I don't wear all that I do have) I am comfortable with those risks. A helmet is something I'm -never- without, though.

Sparkybean

Reaction score
Visit site
I always wear full gear but........I have tried riding twice in shorts, t shirt, etc. On a hot day it feels so nice, what motorcycling is all about, it really does feel so free.
I do not champion this though, I care too much for my own safety to be doing this. I only tried it with a conscious decision to go on the quiet slow roads. I wish it could always be like that.

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I have tried shorts and a t shirt once, I didn't like it. My legs kept touching the engine, and that doesn't feel good on exposed skin.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
We had some real nasty weather roll through yesterday evening. It was so bad, I drove my car (no garage) over to a closed down gas station and parked under the awning. The hail we were getting was gum ball sized. So I'm sitting there waiting out the storm and what do I see? Some guy on a first generation R6 goes rolling by with no gear, no helmet (had a bandanna), no eye protection, in the middle of a severe thunderstorm (heavy rain and hail at that moment). I bet he was cool though.