Which Torque Wrench to buy?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having a friend replace my swingarm and rear tire. He doesn't have a torque wrench so I thought that I would purchase one for his efforts. Being in the aviation business, I want things to be tightened down correctly, using a calibrated wrench. So I just had the local Snap On guy come in and I was just going to order one from him. Not the cheapest but convenient.

He started asking me all kinds of questions, and figured that someone would know the answer.

What range of wrench? Inch per pounds, Foot per pounds or Newton Meters? The wrench is going to be used to remove the rear wheel so whatever the service manual indicates.

Thanks,

VR

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll want the 150 foot pound max, Kenny. Smaller one is usually 75.. not enough for some of the bigger bolts.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a Mechanics M202P torque wrench. I think I got it at Autozone. It measures in inch-pounds with a range of 120-960 (10-80 foot pounds). I've been using this for a few years now and it hasn't let me down. Probably not the greatest quality out there but it gets the job done. For the larger bolts like the axles and swingarm, I don't use a torque wrench anyway, so I don't need one that goes much higher than 80 ft-lbs.

Last edited:

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Realistically; you need two for the bike (And most other applications for that matter). The range of most wrenches is not suitable to cover the gamut of bolt torques on the bike, especially when you are talking about the rear wheel axle as compared to the rear brake caliper mount hardware for example.

For Me:

First Wrench is a 3/8" Craftsman, in-lb readout with a range of 25-250 in-lbs. This is good to do most small hardware (fork pinch bolts, caliper mount bolts, etc...) Cost is only about $40.

Second is a Husky Brand from Home Depot ;3/8" Drive, ft-lb readout with a range of 25-100 ft-lbs. Good for axle bolts, sprocket nut, etc...

I would have opted for another Craftsman if they happened to be in stock when I needed it.

If you were only going to buy one; By far I make the most use out of the first wrench.

My 2-Cents!:)

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, I have two torque wrenches for working on the bike/car. 3/8" and 1/2" drive ones. They cover everything I need to do.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Torque-1002MFRMH-8-Inch-Handle-Wrench/dp/B002LA19P2/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_y"]This[/ame] is the 3/8" one I have

Also, the service manual has both SAE and metric torque specs. Well, mine does at least.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Realistically; you need two for the bike (And most other applications for that matter). The range of most wrenches is not suitable to cover the gamut of bolt torques on the bike, especially when you are talking about the rear wheel axle as compared to the rear brake caliper mount hardware for example.

For Me:

First Wrench is a 3/8" Craftsman, in-lb readout with a range of 25-250 in-lbs. This is good to do most small hardware (fork pinch bolts, caliper mount bolts, etc...) Cost is only about $40.

Second is a Husky Brand from Home Depot ;3/8" Drive, ft-lb readout with a range of 25-100 ft-lbs. Good for axle bolts, sprocket nut, etc...

I would have opted for another Craftsman if they happened to be in stock when I needed it.

If you were only going to buy one; By far I make the most use out of the first wrench.

My 2-Cents!:)

Well Said! ^^ One will not do!

In short - most every Torque wrench I have encountered is most accurate at FULL SCALE READING. Read the fine print! Sometimes a gauge with FS Tq of 150 Ft/lbs when used a 25ft/lbs can have a +/-20% error or more. Sadly many don't list these details, but the 150 ft/lb could have a f/s error of +/-5% which sounds good but it MAY ONLY APPLY at Full Scale (F/S) and have a 20% error when used at lower settings.

So - buy tools that go to the max tq needed and not 50 lbs over as using them at less than full scale usually results in some error and sometimes substantial error.

Just like using 100 psi tire gauge to read 36 psi. You want a 50 psi full scale gauge. Not enough to max it out, but enough to get an accurate reading where you use it.

That said, I'd spend my money on good wrench for the smaller fasteners (less than 75 ft/lbs) and go cheaper on the larger 75 ~ 150 ft lbs as size of the bolts are typically more forgiving. So unless you're rebuilding engines a 150 ft/lb wrench will not be used as often as a lower ones.

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think you need a 1/2 inch one.

The max torque on this bike is the rear axle and that is 87 ft/lb! Most 3/8 torque wrench will go up to 80 ft/lb or 85 ft/lb, just give it a slight nudge past the max.

On the other hand, most of the bolts on the bike are between 10 ft/lb and 40 ft/lb, which no 1/2 inch torque wrench will cover, unless you spend a lot of money on it.

I would say if money is not an option get both a 1/2" and a 3/8", if you can only get one, get the 3?8, it will cover everything but the rear axle.

I just have a 3/8 and never feel he need to get a 1/2" one.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Is it going to be used daily? If not, Snap-on while nice isn't really good value. Craftsman is decent for weekend work.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I realize there are different size torque wrenches used for different areas of the bike. I am only interested in torqueing the rear axel. I'm not looking to purchase an entire set of tools. It's a gift for his time.

So get a wrench between 50-100 inch per pound or is it foot per pounds that fits a 32 mm socket?

I'm getting snap on because they are here every week, and it's convenient in the event that the item needs repair or warranty, like I said, he's here every week. I'm not a very good shopper when it comes to Lowes or Home Depot, something that you could do in 5 minutes will take me an hour.

Thanks,

VR

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
My minimal kit:

- Kobalt (from Lowes) 3/8" torque wrench - range = 10 to 100 ft/pounds. Newton meter markings are on there, too.

- 3/8" to 1/2" adapter (Sears Craftsman)

- 32 mm 1/2" socket for the rear axle nut. (Sears Craftsman)

I couldn't find a 3/8" 32 mm socket to go with my other socket tools hence the adapter.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm picking the wrench for the rear axel since I consider it more critical than other areas of the bike. I could care less about the torque setting for the tank bolts or other small uts, yes the other wrench would have more use but I want to make sure that my wheels are set correctly. First time I'm having a friend do the tire swap and not a motorcycle shop, where they may take on more of a liability.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been pretty well set up with my two Craftsman torque wrenches
one 3/8 and one 1/2 though I don't know the spread of both off the top of my head sorry

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
If all you want is to torque the rear axle get anything that goes up to 87 ft/lb!

My 3/8 torque wrench stops at 83 ft/lb so i just click to the max and then give it a slight extra nudge and i have never lost my rear wheel...

Also don't forget that you can use a 3/8" torque wrench and use a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter to fit a 32mm socket.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, I'm just going to tell the Snap on Guy I need a wrench that will fit a 32mm socket that needs to be torqued at 87 ft. per pound.

And if this was a cooking thread, I would be asking which kind of pan I need to buy to make soup. I don't cook and I don't work on my motorcycle. I leave it to those who enjoy cooking or wrenching or I have professionals do it for me.

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, I'm just going to tell the Snap on Guy I need a wrench that will fit a 32mm socket that needs to be torqued at 87 ft. per pound.

If you do that he will sell you a 1/2" wrench that will be useless for the rest of the motorcycle!

Try to get something that goes down to 10 or 15 ft/lb so you can use it on the forks, the head bearings, the brakes etc

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

And if this was a cooking thread, I would be asking which kind of pan I need to buy to make soup. I don't cook and I don't work on my motorcycle. I leave it to those who enjoy cooking or wrenching or I have professionals do it for me.

That will work. You will most likely end up with a 1/2" drive, 100 or 150 foot pound wrench.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you do that he will sell you a 1/2" wrench that will be useless for the rest of the motorcycle!

Try to get something that goes down to 10 or 15 ft/lb so you can use it on the forks, the head bearings, the brakes etc

For the price of 1 Snap-on you could buy all 3 Sears micro-click wrenches They make a 3/8 25-250 in/lbs, a 3/8 10-75 ft/lbs and a 1/2 20-150 ft/lb. At 79.99 each they are a bargain, but watch for sales because they often blow them out at over 50% off. They are on sale now at $35.99 each...all 3 for under $110.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If all you want is to torque the rear axle get anything that goes up to 87 ft/lb!

My 3/8 torque wrench stops at 83 ft/lb so i just click to the max and then give it a slight extra nudge and i have never lost my rear wheel...

Also don't forget that you can use a 3/8" torque wrench and use a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter to fit a 32mm socket.

Ok - this has been repeated twice now and I strongly disagree with this advice!
Exceeding the range of torque designated by the manufacture can can damage the wrench and make it produce unreliable results. DO NOT EXCEED THE TOOLS RANGE! i.e. "give it a slight extra nudge" it can render the tool inaccurate thus defeating its purpose!
If its range stops at 80 ft / lbs (example) and the user keeps bearing down on it, past 80 ft/lbs it can damage the tool. Its not a cheater bar and should not be used in this manor if you want it to remain accurate.