Which tires should I buy for my 2005-fz6??

Ghost416

Reaction score
Visit site
hey yall,

I am a fairly new rider and I need to replace the stock tires on my 2005 fz6 as I am reaching 10,000k... some ppl so far have suggested the bridgestone battlax's ?? I usually use the bike in the city but recently I have started doing some longer rides outside the city so I guess I need a tire that is durable and lasts as well....thanks alot

ghost

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
hey yall,

I am a fairly new rider and I need to replace the stock tires on my 2005 fz6 as I am reaching 10,000k... some ppl so far have suggested the bridgestone battlax's ?? I usually use the bike in the city but recently I have started doing some longer rides outside the city so I guess I need a tire that is durable and lasts as well....thanks alot

I've got Metzeler Sportec M3 (front) and Metzeler Roadtec Z6 (back) om my 2004 FZ6-S, and so far I'm very happy with these tires. I usually ride to work (7-8 kilometers) on roads with everything from 30 mph to 60 mph speed limits. The tires give me confidence and they have excellent grip on both dry and wet surfaces.

Vikingj

Minnesota Viking Fan
Reaction score
Visit site
Everybody's going to have an opinion, but the best advice is to pick a few popular choices and do some research. Price is probably a factor too. I like the Dunlop Roadsmart myself.:D

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
My replacement tires on my '07 are Bridgestond BT016's. But, these are triple compound tires and I should've bought the BT021's because they're longer lasting---from what I hear others saying.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm happy with the Bridgestone Battlax BT-021's that I fitted last year to replace my worn out Dunlop Sportmax D-252's. The BT-021's have about 2,500 miles on them and I see no appreciable wear.

They were $270 shipped to my door.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I had Bridgestone BT-020's stock on my '06. They lasted 10K miles with mostly commuting-type riding. Some people hate them, but I loved the longevity and didn't have any problems with them slipping.

I replaced those with Bridgestone BT-016's and got just below 6K out of them (which is what I expected.) They're a sport tire whereas the 20's are a sport-touring tire. Great grip but obviously not nearly the mileage.

Then I had a friend give me a set of lightly used Metzeler Z6's. Those were great tires, though they're kinda hard and I found that I needed to run lower pressures on them to make them stick a little better. But they probably lasted 5-6000 miles and are good tires. IIRC, though, they stopped making the Z6's, so you might have a hard time finding those.

And finally, last Friday I replaced the Metzelers with the new Bridgestone BT-023's. I decided that I wanted a tire that would last longer than the 16's (I only like to put new tires on once a year, if possible.) The 23's are Bridgestone's newest sport-touring tire and are supposed to get 30% more life than the 21's they're replacing. I put 400 miles on them the first day, all in twisties, and they broke in quick, heated up very fast, and didn't slip at all. At the end of the day, I couldn't tell of any wear other than being scrubbed in.

Oh, and I got the 23's from Jake Wilson for $187 shipped. I'm very happy about that!

Hope that helps...lol.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the 23's kick ass! :rockon:

I'm hoping so, Bryan! I've had great experiences with Bridgestone tires (even the 20's that lots of owners hated as the stock tires.) I never had a problem with them and loved the mileage I got. I'd be ecstatic if I could get 8-10K out of the 23's, believe me.

I've been meaning to start a thread about the 23's and update it from time to time, since I know there aren't really any "road test" threads yet...since they're so new. I'd better get on that, huh? LOL.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I have Pilot Power 2CTs right now but will be replacing them soon. Even with the dual compound all my commuting has flattened the center. I'm looking to try the new Metzeler M5 Interact.

Ghost416

Reaction score
Visit site
SWEET!!!

thanks for all the great info yall, i think i will look into the BT-023's as i want my tires to last somewhat and sport-touring sounds perfect indeed.....can anyone suggest which spots would be best to order from possibly in canada?? thanks

G

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
SWEET!!!

thanks for all the great info yall, i think i will look into the BT-023's as i want my tires to last somewhat and sport-touring sounds perfect indeed.....can anyone suggest which spots would be best to order from possibly in canada?? thanks

G

I just replaced my OEM Dunlop's with Michelin Pilot Road 2 sport touring tires. Awesome tire, with wicked wet and dry grip. I've put 500kms on them already, and would buy them again! I paid $320.00 (not inc. installation) here in Halifax, so you should be able to find a similar price in T-Dot.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Fizzer600

Reaction score
Visit site
id would recommend dunlop Roadsmarts that was untill i tried a pair of this years Dunlop Sportsmarts:thumbup::thumbup:

the sportsmarts are very grippy with the same wet weather performance of the roadsmarts i originally just bought them as a summer tyre but i reckon that they will handle the winter just fine.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, Tailgate. Nah, a friend of mine pointed me to the site a couple of weeks ago. They were running a special that if you bought 2 tires, they would give you $10 off. Any order over $99 ships for free. And he had a code for $20 off my order, so that's how I got to $187.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
pilot road 2 is the only way to go ;) use em on track, in the mountains, regular highway use, and they perform outstanding. I've got 9000km's on em now, even with the track use I recon I'll get another 3-4k out of em (at least)