Which one would you buy?

The Hill Boys

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking for a used bike. Currently have three options. If you were in my shoes (no bike and a $5000 budget) which one would you pick? Why?

1) 2006 Yamaha FZ6 - Yamaha Blue. Stock. 9K miles - $3200

2) 2005 Suzuki SV650S - Red. Some mods(exhaust, led break lights, etc) 7K miles - $4200

3) 2007 Yamaha FZ1 - Black. Stock. 4K miles - $5300

4) Keep looking

I know this is an FZ6 forum, so results may be biased. But then again, you have a lot of knowledge about one of the bikes on my list. Given a second chance, would you reconsider?

I appreciate your input!

vrsbrazil

Reaction score
twitter.com
Hello Buddy,

Well I think if you have the money aqnd the experience to ride an FZ1, then I think you should go for it!!! :thumbup: It´s a great bike and black is always a nice color, personally I don´t like blue FZ6´s ...

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I would take the FZ6. With the lowest initial price, the remaining $1800 would go towards quality riding gear, new tires (if needed), 1 yr. of insurance and enough left for a few tanks of fuel.

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
That's a pretty good price on that FZ6. I like Cali-Rider's comments.

That said, with my experience now (all good w/ FZ6), I'd like to try out the FZ1 and see how I like it ;-)

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I have to think the lowest price is not a bad thing..... the FZ6 takes a bit more to deal with on the low RPM end of things compared to the SV; but that's technique. Very quick to overcome.

Insurance wise, both should comfortably trump the costs of the FZ1. More acceration equals more tire costs, and brake wear. A good bike -- more expensive to operate. That $2300 difference is a whole lot of doo dads; and it's a better deal if the FZ6 is bone stock. Not being critical of anyone's abilities as a wrench, your odds of having to fix someone else's 'tweak' are much less the closer to OEM the bike is......

The Hill Boys

Reaction score
Visit site
How will you use the bike?

Thanks for bringing this up. That's why the SV650s is in the mix (and to some extent, the FZ1). For right now, and the upcoming months, I'm going to be reacquainting myself with riding on the road. Haven't ridden on the road in 20 years. Have been riding on the dirt for the last 10.

The main reason I am interested in buying is because I love to ride, but I am not able to ride enough on the dirt (have to pack up and travel, so usually only about once a month at most). I want to be able to hop on and go for and hour ride on the weekends, evenings, etc. As my skills increase, I would like to take shorter day trips (hopefully involving some twisties). Lastly, I may use the bike as a part time commuter (once or twice a week).

I am aware of the risks of starting off on an FZ1 after so long of a break. That's weighing heavily on my decision.

I think I would want something with more low end torque and that's why I am considering the SV650s and the FZ1. It sounds like from what I've read about the FZ6, is that it want's to run at a higher rpm. I'm not sure if I can accomplish that will riding around town. Tell me otherwise.

Long story made short. I want to be able to ride more often. A street bike will enable that. I just want to make the right choice (or as close to the right choice as possible) the first time (read, I'll never hear the end of it from my wife). If I can find the right bike, I hope to own it for years to come.

Thanks again!

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
I think I would want something with more low end torque and that's why I am considering the SV650s and the FZ1. It sounds like from what I've read about the FZ6, is that it want's to run at a higher rpm. I'm not sure if I can accomplish that will riding around town. Tell me otherwise.

I havn't ridden an SV, but my friend used to have one and he rode with me a good bit. The SV can't touch the FZ in acceleration, but he could still take me in the corners, all because of ability. I really dont' think you'd be dis-satisfied with either one.

I ride around 900 miles per month, almost all commuting thru town. I have one short section of road that is 55 mph, the rest is 45 & 35. I love my FZ6 for commuting :thumbup: That siad, mine is nad '07, and they did make soem changes, but the '06 isn't THAT much different.

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

With the right gear selection, you can easily accomplish that if that is all you are worried about. FZ6 still has plenty of get up and go, and, while most people like it, there is no rule saying that you have to run it at high RPMs. If you are doing leisurely rides around town, it does fine with lower RPMs. If you want to get up and go, you can just drop to appropriate gear and leave everybody in your dust. It is all about riding techniques for the bike. If anybody out there (SV650s or FZ1 owners) wondering if that is possible, I would be more than happy to show them. :)

I am not saying go get the FZ6, but FZ6 being un-ride-able due to mediocre low end torque is a myth.

You should probably go sit on them, take a test ride (if you can), and decide which one you want based on that. Ultimately, “you” have to be happy with your decision.

shuckle

Reaction score
Visit site
Get the FZ6.

It'll get you back on the road without being nervous about the size of an FZ1.
In a year you'll be able to sell it for what you paid, if you feel you must.

I think the torque thing is overrated. The way people talk you'd think the FZ6 takes 1/2 an hour to get up to speed. There may be more on the SV650, but you won't notice unless you're using both. When I'm buzzing around town I'm taking it easy, but the bike still jumps when I want it to -- without revving the bejesus out of it.

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ1. Hands down. My roommate has an SV650 and while it is a good fun bike (handles great and holds leans wonderfully), just not as good to me as the FZ6 (I can out run him easily enough).

As for low-end torque, I do not know why people complain about such a non-issue! It is ridiculous to think you will not have enough lower end torque to scoot around town. Geez people complain about it but it I have yet to see a need to be able to instantly get to 100mph without shifting. I mean come on guys, I live in the Washington DC area where people do not know how to drive PERIOD but I can be down low in gear (4k rpms) and still out-accelerate almost any car or get out of any situation that seems dangerous. Torque related issues are as shuckle said, "overrated"

Last edited:

vrsbrazil

Reaction score
twitter.com
Thanks for bringing this up. That's why the SV650s is in the mix (and to some extent, the FZ1). For right now, and the upcoming months, I'm going to be reacquainting myself with riding on the road. Haven't ridden on the road in 20 years. Have been riding on the dirt for the last 10.

The main reason I am interested in buying is because I love to ride, but I am not able to ride enough on the dirt (have to pack up and travel, so usually only about once a month at most). I want to be able to hop on and go for and hour ride on the weekends, evenings, etc. As my skills increase, I would like to take shorter day trips (hopefully involving some twisties). Lastly, I may use the bike as a part time commuter (once or twice a week).

I am aware of the risks of starting off on an FZ1 after so long of a break. That's weighing heavily on my decision.

Long story made short. I want to be able to ride more often. A street bike will enable that. I just want to make the right choice (or as close to the right choice as possible) the first time (read, I'll never hear the end of it from my wife). If I can find the right bike, I hope to own it for years to come.

Thanks again!
With that said, I´d go for the FZ6 then :)

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
For a returning rider who's been away from motorcycles for 20 years, I would avoid getting a liter bike right away.

Out of your choices, that leaves the SV650 s, and the FZ6. The FZ6 has a few more miles, but it's cheaper and will be a great bike to get re-aquainted with motorcycling. You can get some good gear with the money saved over the SV650, and lets face it... there's no sweeter symphony than an Inline 4 motor winding up towards the redline.

I might be a bit biased towards the FZ6, but given the 3 choices, it sounds like the best option.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i think those are three good choices. when i first read the choice in bikes i was leaning to the fz1. but when i read your other post about what you'll be using it for i have to say that i'm leaning towards the fz6.

first, i think if you've been riding dirt for the last 10 years it shouldn't take much to get your street skills up to par... but it still could be a bit much to get the fz1.

i can't really speak to the sv650. i know that you are leaned over more with them which caused me to not even give them a second look. sorry i can't help out there.

but with the fz6... i mainly use it for commuting. it does fine in the lower rpm's around town. it's nice and quiet (so it doesn't bother people as you're riding through town) and it's smooth as can be. you can run it in the higher rpm's but you don't have to. sure, last night i got up to the speed limit before i shifted into 2nd gear but that was just for fun. more often then not it takes me to about 4th gear to get to about 50 mph.

also, because of the seating position you can go on longer trips with the fz6 with no problems. i have a givi box on the back of my bike. i was able to pack more than enough for the weekend and travel about 700 miles round trip to the mountains and have some fun on deals gap. the bike is an all around swiss army knife of bikes. i'm sure there's better bikes, i just don't know of any for me right now.

best advice to you and go sit on them and see how they feel. and if you can go for a test ride do it. get the one that is most comfortable for you. but if you ask me it's the fz6. sorry to be so biased... it's just that good.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Come to an FZ6 site and ask that question :eek:, I go with Cali_Rider on this one, unless you have alot of experience, then what the heck, the FZ1 :D

The Hill Boys

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the opportunity to sit on all three. I like the feel of the FZ6 and the SV650S. I felt a little intimidated on the FZ1 (maybe just a mental thing, but it just felt large). The reason I started looking at the FZ6, etc was the more upright seating position.

I don't have the opportunity to ride the FZ6 or FZ1. I can rent an SV650.

The deal on the FZ6 is with a dead battery and the guy that owns it (I work with him) is a very hands off person who, if possible, would have someone gas up for him. If I offered $3000-$3200, I think I could get it as is so that he doesn't have to hassle with getting it fixed, putting it up for sale, etc. But, I may be reading him totally wrong.

I'm leaning toward the FZ6. I honestly think it would suit my needs just fine and is the least expensive route. I've just been lead to believe that it was not a low rpm bike. Several replies here have eased that considerably.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
for the price you could get the fz and some gear if you dont have it and if you dont like the bike (yah right) you could sell if for what you have into it. and try again.

Bagzter

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking for a used bike. Currently have three options. If you were in my shoes (no bike and a $5000 budget) which one would you pick? Why?

1) 2006 Yamaha FZ6 - Yamaha Blue. Stock. 9K miles - $3200

2) 2005 Suzuki SV650S - Red. Some mods(exhaust, led break lights, etc) 7K miles - $4200

3) 2007 Yamaha FZ1 - Black. Stock. 4K miles - $5300

4) Keep looking

I know this is an FZ6 forum, so results may be biased. But then again, you have a lot of knowledge about one of the bikes on my list. Given a second chance, would you reconsider?

I appreciate your input!

At the end of the day, irregardless of general opinion, the only way you can really decide which bike is for you is to test ride all 3 and way up the pros and cons of each ride. You may feel the "lazy" engine style of the v2 twin more to your liking than the "busy" engine style of the parallel 4

I test rode the FZ1 the same day i test rode and bought my FZ6 and tbh i would have bought the FZ1 but for what i thought, at the time, would be a lot higher insurance costs (they are 1 insurance group higher in the UK according to my insurer, so not much higher at all), also i was dubious about my riding ability of jumping on a 1000cc machine after 20yrs away from 2 wheels.

Good luck with what is a hard decision.

I know which way i'd go given a 2nd chance.. and thats the FZ1