Which Helmet?

ecudoc

Reaction score
Visit site
I value other riders' opinions, hence my reason for asking..

1) What's the best helmet out there that money can buy?
2) What helmet seems to be the best deal or give the most bang for the buck?

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
There are a bunch of threads about this already, so if you use the search function you can find a lot of information.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, here's my opinion:

webBikeWorld has tons of good reviews on all sorts of helmets. Everything from bargain to top of the line. I would suggest finding a helmet that you think you like, fits your price range, and then looking at the reviews. Or maybe start with the reviews and then try to find a good price.

I personally was looking online about a month ago and came across a great deal at Motorcycle Closeouts :: Motorcycle Apparel - Motorcycle Jackets - Motorcycle Helmets - 7 Years of Closeout Deals! on the HJC CL-SP Osiris helmet. I loved the design and the price was awesome! A quick google search of the helmet and I found the webbikeworld review. They give it a great bang for the buck review, and I have found everything they said to be spot on.

As this is my first helmet, I have nothing to compare it to. However, I have been very happy with the helmet and for $70 would buy it again. I might even pick up a spare of 2 since they're pretty cheap and I've been very happy with mine so far.

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
When it comes to protecting something as fragile as my brain I at least would not cheap out. There are lots of manufacturers out there with very good helmets, and when I'm in need for new protective gear in general I look at what they use in MotoGP and WSBK. I would simply have a look at all the different models that they use and get one of those. For instance Arai Corsair V, Shoei X-12 etc.

Edit: Of course find one that fits you! :)

Last edited:

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
I feel the single most important thing about helmets above price and brand name is proper fit. If a $700 helmet doesn't fit your head properly It's not any better then a proper fitting $80 helmet.

I have six helmets. Everything from Shoei to AFX. They are all DOT approved and some are SNELL and DOT approved.

Try on many different helmets to know what really fits your dome well. Don't get to caught up in if it's more expensive it's better because that isn't always true. Your also gonna pay more for the features like better venting, emergency quick release inner pads and face shields, fancy paint jobs ETC.

In the end know your budget find a good fitting helmet with at least a DOT approval and you should be good.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
dont cheap out and remember a helmet should not be distracting. I've had some awful ring dingers on my head. YuK! I wear a shoei rf1000 now and it rocks!

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
Best bang for the buck? Scorpion EXO700. Love their fog free visors...especially since they actually work, unlike others I have come across.

Then entire Scorpion line is a great value for a very good helmet.

I don't buy into the $1000+ helmet = better. They ALL have to pass the same tests. When you get to the pricier helmets you are starting to pay for more exotic, lighter materials.

As stated earlier, FIT is the most important aspect.

My $250 KBC helmet saved my skull in a 40-45mph impact with a concrete retaining wall.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Best bang for the buck? Scorpion EXO700. Love their fog free visors...especially since they actually work, unlike others I have come across.

Then entire Scorpion line is a great value for a very good helmet.

I don't buy into the $1000+ helmet = better. They ALL have to pass the same tests. When you get to the pricier helmets you are starting to pay for more exotic, lighter materials.

As stated earlier, FIT is the most important aspect.

My $250 KBC helmet saved my skull in a 40-45mph impact with a concrete retaining wall.

I agree, BUT, it's not just the graphics that make the $1000+ ones sometimes better - they may have firmer padding (won't lose its shape so easily), more ventilation in the lid (better for hot riding days), quick release visor, and removable lining. I know cheaper ones can have these, but they may not have ALL of these.

At the end of the day, it is what you are comfortable with. Try as many on as you can and don't buy a helmet the first time you look for one. Many different brands have many models - a Shoei XR1000 will feel completely different to a Shoei X12. Make sure the lining is removable - nice to be able to wash the lining easily and make sure you don't buy a helmet that is too lose. It needs to be tight but not so much that you can barely take it on or off.

Don't let the pretty designs fool you either (I was lucky enough to get the helmet I liked AND the design I liked).

You do pay for what you get - sure the cheap helmets meet the minimum safety standards, but as I've said before, ventilation and other factors come into it.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you decide to get :thumbup:

Here's my helmet - I love it. Others won't ;)

Reaction score
Visit site
Take into consideration that the helmet lining and foam protection degrades over time. I have seen some articles which place this time frame at three years. My EXO-700 is good, little heavy and not much for noise protection
and the shield does not fog up, its 14 months old.

flightpro

Reaction score
Visit site
My 2 cents:

I tried on a ton of helmets when i was buying my bike, its all about what fits you best. I ended up going with an Arai vector. its the most comfortable helmet ive ever worn, the ventilation is great, and no major fogging problems so far. Originally i was planning on getting an HJC but i found they fit my ears poorly, the scorpion helmet i tried fit better (and the inflatable cheek pads are real cool), but the Arai just felt best, plus Arai has a 5 year warranty.

Bouncing

Reaction score
Visit site
The actual protection from a helmet isn't better if you buy a more expensive helmet. But you may get more comfortable helmet, one that can vent better, has a better lining. If you want to pay more for a helmet that is what you are paying for, not protection. If you are buy a helmet for protection as the top top priority make sure that you buy one with the 2010 snell and DOT rating, I know there is a European ratting but i forgot what it is. With the snell rating you want the 2010 one apparently only about 20% of the helmets that passed the 2005 rating are passing the 2010. I found this out when I was researching the new bell star which I hear is going to one of the top helmets of this next generation.

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
The actual protection from a helmet isn't better if you buy a more expensive helmet. But you may get more comfortable helmet, one that can vent better, has a better lining. If you want to pay more for a helmet that is what you are paying for, not protection. If you are buy a helmet for protection as the top top priority make sure that you buy one with the 2010 snell and DOT rating, I know there is a European ratting but i forgot what it is. With the snell rating you want the 2010 one apparently only about 20% of the helmets that passed the 2005 rating are passing the 2010. I found this out when I was researching the new bell star which I hear is going to one of the top helmets of this next generation.

The new SNELL standard will have almost no effect on you Bouncing, since you live in the U.S. Here is a quote taken from this webbikeworld article.

"For street riders in North America, the differences between M2010 and M2005 should be of little significance. M2010 does not exceed M2005 but it does demand comparable protection. But for street riders in Europe, M2010 may make a considerable difference. "

I would reconsider before you buy a new helmet solely because the new SNELL standard. Now, if you need a new helmet, by all means, get one. But if I were looking for a helmet right now, after reading this article, I wouldn't be overly concerned if it meets SNELL M2005 or M2010, so long as it meets one of them.

This might be something that you European riders are interested in, though.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear Shoei. It fits me extreemly well, flows air amaizingly well and is lighter than my previous HJC (didn't fit well, worked great when I bounced it (filled with my head) off the pavement.)

The more expensive helmets tend to do somethings better, but they must past the same tests as the cheeper ones. If a cheep one fits well, and you are happy with it, it will be a good lid.

I'm likely to be a Shoei rider from here on unless they change something. Frist you need to find one that fits. Go to a shop that has a lot of brands and someone that knows how to fit you in a helmet. Then find one that you like and that fits.

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
To the OP:

After you make your decision, let us know what you chose! And tell us why you decided to go with that helmet/brand.

Zebratounge

Reaction score
Visit site
Any Helmet is better than a rag on your head! And stay away from salad bowls.
I have a Soumy and a Scorpion EXO700. The Soumy is very light and meets BSI standards. If it doesn't feel good on your head you won't wear it.so try one on at your local dealer and order one from Extreme supply.

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Any Helmet is better than a rag on your head! And stay away from salad bowls.
I have a Soumy and a Scorpion EXO700. The Soumy is very light and meets BSI standards. If it doesn't feel good on your head you won't wear it.so try one on at your local dealer and order one from Extreme supply.

This can be a source of contention. While it is VERRRY tempting to try a helmet on at a store, and then order it online (99% of the time helmets are MUCH cheaper online), alot of people don't think you should do it. I took a crap shoot with mine and just ordered it online without trying it on (wouldn't recommend this though). I got lucky however, and it fits perfectly.

Personally, I would go to a store, try on some helmets, find the size I need and then buy some other stuff there $40 - $50 (stuff that you can't get a much better deal for online like oil, grunge brush). That way, the store is getting something and I don't have to pay their absurd sticker price for the helmet.

It also depends how friendly and helpful the staff are. If they are extremely nice and helpful, I would seriously consider buying the helmet from them. If they're downright rude, not helpful, etc, I would find the size, not buy anything and then order it online. Just my opinion though.

Also, Extreme Supply was a pleasure to deal with. I just ordered something from them last week. They were the only company that had it in stock. I called them at 12:30PM and received a tracking number for my shipment later that night. Very friendly, helpful service with good prices. I will buy from them again.

Last edited:

Vikingj

Minnesota Viking Fan
Reaction score
Visit site
Helmets are very different from one brand to another. Try some on and find which brand best suits your comfort level. I have been a Shoei lover for years. That brand is right for me and has past all the snell ratings I thought important. Someone once told me to buy the best you can afford. You only have one brain.:thumbup: