Which compact camera next?

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have had my Canon Powershot A720IS for quite a while now and it has taken some great shots and worked in every weather and light condition possible.

It is getting a bit worn around the edges now and it is time to replace it.

I have a Canon Rebel XTI DSLR but I want a small camera that I can slip into my jacket pocket when motorcycling.

What would you recommend and why?

Steve:thumbup:

spidersden

Reaction score
Visit site
I highly recommend the Panasonic DMC-FX500. Since you have a DSLR camera already, you'll appreciate the manual controls available on this point-n-click.

I think it's actually been replaced in the lineup by the DMC-FX580 (Manufacturer site)

I've had a few other point-n-click digital cameras before, and I've never been able to take a decent picture with any of them.

However, I've taken some outstanding pictures with this camera. Most of the time, I leave this camera in "Intelligent Auto" mode and just let it set everything for me, and I get awesome pictures. However, when you want to take some night photos with it, you can swap to manual controls and have a blast. The touch-assisted focus is awesome is well. If you want to focus on something that's not in the center of the picture, you can turn on touch assisted auto-focus and just touch the subject on the screen and the camera will focus on it for you (and track it)

You can see a few of the FZ6 pictures I've taken with this camera in my gallery

Here are a few night photos of Niagara Falls. The were taken with long exposure, no flash, and balanced on the nearest steady object I could find... (I didn't have a tripod with me)

View attachment 24496 View attachment 24497 View attachment 24499

I have to give my wife credit for this picture, it was taken from the pillion perch on the back of my FZ while raiding in the rain on the Blue Ridge Parkway... (Camera was in landscape mode which made for the nifty blur effect)

View attachment 24501

And finally, an action shot from a local MX race.
View attachment 24502

The only 2 complaints I have are focus speed, and the danged red-eye flash. The red-eye flash is entirely too slow. Focus speed is tolerable, but I'd like to see it be faster. However, both of these issues may have been addressed on the FX580, but I would advise checking professional reviews just in case it wasn't resolved.

Sorry for rambling, but I hope this helps!

Ride safe,
~Scott

[Edit: Added MX picture.]

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for those replies guys I will look into them.

Thanks Scott there are some good photos, it is certainly worth doing a bit of research on that camera.

Steve

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com
Since everyone seems to like Panasonic's, including me, I thought I'd compare the three recommendations for you. Panasonic Consumer Electronics Model Comparison Results I just bought my wife the DMC-ZS3, that I believe in Europe is know as the TZ7. It replaced my wife's TZ3 of a few years back. She loves the 12x zoom for grandkid sporting events along with the continuous shooting mode for when they won't stay in a pose. The new hi-def movies are also extremely clean and impressive.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Since everyone seems to like Panasonic's, including me, I thought I'd compare the three recommendations for you. Panasonic Consumer Electronics Model Comparison Results I just bought my wife the DMC-Z73, that I believe in Europe is know as the TZ7. It replaced my wife's TZ3 of a few years back. She loves the 12x zoom for grandkid sporting events along with the continuous shooting mode for when they won't stay in a pose. The new hi-def movies are also extremely clean and impressive.

Gotta agree...I have a TZ7. Awesome camera, takes fabulous pics, and the high def video is just amazing from something so small...

I think as far as small, highly flexible, point and shoots, panasonic are pretty much hard to beat...and the TZ7 is pretty much recognized as one of the best!