Where do you have your pre-load set?

larryinpa

Reaction score
Visit site
My Fz6 came adjusted to setting "3" on the shock, though I moved it to setting 4 as I do a fair amount of 2 up riding. Where do you have yours set? Is it just a matter of the higher the setting, the firmer the ride? I may bring mine down to 3 or even two when I'm riding solo.

Your thoughts?

Mine was set to 5 when I got it, but I have slowly brought it down to 2. More comfortable on the often rough roads where I live.

The scales tell me my single ride weight is 205lbs with gear and I use 4.

When I add a 2nd person I bump it up to 5. Most of the surfaces I ride are smooth so I don't bottom out but if your roads are bad, with two up I would go maybe 6 depending on combined weight.

Mglowe-

Is this setting easy to change? I'd love to weigh as much as you (working on it) and think my bike is set at 3. I have no doubt, I'm a 5!

Mglowe-

Is this setting easy to change? I'd love to weigh as much as you (working on it) and think my bike is set at 3. I have no doubt, I'm a 5!

I've changed mine and yes, it is so easy to do that even I can do it; and I don't do ANY service work myself...

I just leave mine at 5. Was set to three when I got it which is fine for me, but we ride 2 up often enough that i don't feel like adjusting it every time. If I leave it on 3 2 up the bike drops down too far. Now if only i could leave the tire pressure at the high side, but unfortunately it goes squirrelly with just me on the bike when I do that...not enough traction. So my compressor is my best friend.

At 230 I have it set at 7 I got it at 3, Im so much happier especially riding two up...

+1 on the twisties

Mglowe-

Yep! A piece of cake. You may wish to use the extension handle that is in your tool kit. I've smacked my hand with only the adjustment wrench. Looking at the bike, left side, fit the wrench and turn it forward - the mono shock setting will click in place.

Ok I have looked at the bike, found where the rear suspension is, and located the cylinder with the numbers on it. How do I know what number it is currently set to and how do I change it. I don't see anywhere I can put a tool to turn it, and I also don't see what number it could possibly be on. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The wrench slips in to the vertical slots on the silver circular part surrounding the shock. You can tell where it is due to the little notch on the inner part. The whole with the corresponding number that the notch slips into is the number you're on.
And I'm fat, so I keep mine maxed...

Ok I have looked at the bike, found where the rear suspension is, and located the cylinder with the numbers on it. How do I know what number it is currently set to and how do I change it. I don't see anywhere I can put a tool to turn it, and I also don't see what number it could possibly be on. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Do you still have your manual? There is an indicator that can be seen through the notch settings. You have to look at a certain angle to see it, but it's there.

I just went on a two up tour (260 miles, round trip) and had the preoad set to 5, which seemed to work. I weigh 170 and my girl weighs ~110 (I don't ask, lol). We also had about 20-25lbs of gear.

Back