When touring long distances how much do you exceed the speed limit by on highways, assume 60mph post

When touring long distances how much do you exceed the speed limit by on highways, assume 60mph post

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
it may be just me but i just ride and really do not pay attention to the speedo but i agree with wright.... i like triple digits as well but even it is indicated at 100 only going 80-85 tops... but my main rule of thumb is to get away from traffic and get into the open road...

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I have yet to do a "long trip" on my FZ6. And by that I mean going past the state line. I've done a few trips that i had to fill up before i reached my final destination, and for those I try to stay under the 15 mph over. I have passed up a cop doing 90+, I was going north bound, he was going south bound and because it was in the middle of no where (no place for him to turn around and try to chase me) I never saw him again. Of course I got off at the next exit a few miles up too.

I have done many road trips in the car before and I've even been in Montana where there really isn't a speed limit (except at night) but I've found that going to much over 80 on an interstate really attracts attention to you.

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
When going on a long distance ride how much does your cruising speed exceed the posted speed limit on a highway? Most major highways seem to be 55 or 65 so I used 60mph.

I'm not talking about riding your normal routes/commutes either where you know where all the hot spots are. You are on a mostly unfamilar road.

Try to respond with what you think you are doing not indicated. So if you typically assume indicated is +5 over and indicated reads 70 the answer would be 5mph over the posted 60mph. Make sense?

Thanks

If the highway is empty, I tend to go 5-10 mph over the posted limit. If the highway is crowded, I go about 5-10 mph above than the fastest car (regardless of the speed limit) and I tend to stay ahead in the far left lane to avoid the exit/merge issues. I like to seek out an empty pocket of highway space with about 4-5 seconds in back or in front of the cars in case I need to take an evasive step.

I don't think it is a good idea to cruise as the same speed as other cars since you can get stuck in their blind-zone. I think in Texas at least, the motorcycle cops I have talked to tend to allow a 5-10 mph buffer over other cars speed, since one is so vulnerable on two wheels.

Fred

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
the speed limit here is 75 mph, and I usually cruise around 95 to 100 mph. Not a big chance of getting caught, so...

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Some of my boys cruise down to Florida every summer and they cruise at 180mph plus every time. They've never gotten a speeding ticket.....yet. Cops top out at 120.

Me though? 5 - 10 over with the occasional 120mph to fly by the guy going 50 in the fast lane.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Usually 8 to 10 over is an okay number.

In west Texas, 20 to 25 mph + on the Ten. West Texas is kinda like the Outback, no one lives there and there isn't much traffic. You can also see for miles and miles and miles.

Remember our speedo reads a little low to you can safely run about 5% faster than what is indicated.

View attachment 16670
View attachment 16671

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Remember our speedo reads a little low to you can safely run about 5% faster than what is indicated.

View attachment 16670
View attachment 16671

Ehh.. thats a tough call. That depends more on the tire and other variables. No two bike speedo's are the same. It will be interesting at the Gap ride to see how we compare.

Oh and just a side note to ChunkyGoat and to everyone else. The NCSHP motorcycle officers have the right to persue at highspeed. Apparently they are the only motor officers in the country to have this ability, and those BMW's will do much over 120... just keep that in your mind as your roll down I-95 to Fla. next time.

-bryan

Got-boost?

Reaction score
Visit site
I posted no more then 5mph over, I don't push my luck due to most of the State Leos don't care for sportbikes.

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In this bad economy...cops are pulling people for small thing even biker...
Normally they care much bout biker but ticket is ticket and they need it
So I try to stay no over more then 10mph while cruising...

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
I am 10mph over, but if there is not much going on in the lines of traffic and stuff, we usually pick it up a little until the time warrants us to slow down.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I did 115 MPH in Death Valley. I mean, there's nothing around and you can see for probably a mile in each direction. I want to get a liter bike, something like CB1000 or something. Then, I could go 175 MPH.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I always follow the speed/flow of traffic + 5-10mph more for buffer. Not too many commuters(cagers) follows the speed limit exactly as it's posted.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
so I cruised over 600 miles this weekend. It was awesome...Needless to say I cruised 65mph areas at around 80...until I saw a PO-lice on my bum and bumped down to 70. He must have gotten impatient after several twisties of following the cars in front of me slowly because he blasted by and I followed suit.

We both cruised (me at about 100 yards back so he couldn't tag me backwards) down the highway at around 80. He definitely hit 100 at some points passing cars over the dotted line...he was nuts! But fun to follow...

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
I always follow the speed/flow of traffic + 5-10mph more for buffer.

Me too. I try to reduce the threat of hazards from the rear by moving faster than most so that I can focus a bit more on what's in my cone of vision.

That being said, I can't afford any more love notes from officer law so I try to keep it within 5-10mph of the limit when in unknown territory.

CGameProgrammer

Reaction score
Visit site
My speed (in car or motorcycle) varies significantly depending on where I am. In California I tend to go 90-100 mph indicated on my bike, varying a bit depending on if I'm near a city (slightly slower) and the wind protection of the bike I'm riding. In my car I just do 80-90 mph. But in other states I go slower because traffic cops are far more plentiful elsewhere.

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have a hard and fast rule. It all depends on the flow of traffic, I exceed if the group that currently traveling with is going above the limit. Safety in numbers, not making extreme changes, using the turn signals, and maintaning situational awareness. If you don't draw attention, you usually don't get attention. GRUMPY