When the brake lever hits the windshield

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
No, I didn't drop my bike. But it was close.

I've been fooling around with my handlebars to get a more comfortable wrist position. Tried them rotated lower toward myself, but that made it go from discomfort to wrist pain. Tried them rotated higher, and ahhhh.

But although I checked nothing would be hitting my pretty, shiny red tank, I didn't notice the brake lever just nudges the windshield in the lock position. At least, not until I was making a tight left turn to park in a parking lot.

Brake lever touches windshield. Bike stops. Somehow I catch it.

Then I do the exact same thing a second time. :banghead:

Finally I figured out what was going on. I'll be fixing that before I ride again. Can't believe I would check for the bars hitting the shiny thing and not the thing that could make me drop my bike. :(

Lesson learned.

Also: thank God I didn't have one of my kids on the back.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you managed to save it... and the most comfortable stock handle bar position is... replace it!! :BLAA:

Seriously.. FZ1 bar or FZ6R bar is loads more comfortable and inexpensive (~40).

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No, I didn't drop my bike. But it was close.

I've been fooling around with my handlebars to get a more comfortable wrist position. Tried them rotated lower toward myself, but that made it go from discomfort to wrist pain. Tried them rotated higher, and ahhhh.

But although I checked nothing would be hitting my pretty, shiny red tank, I didn't notice the brake lever just nudges the windshield in the lock position. At least, not until I was making a tight left turn to park in a parking lot.

Brake lever touches windshield. Bike stops. Somehow I catch it.

Then I do the exact same thing a second time. :banghead:

Finally I figured out what was going on. I'll be fixing that before I ride again. Can't believe I would check for the bars hitting the shiny thing and not the thing that could make me drop my bike. :(

Lesson learned.

Also: thank God I didn't have one of my kids on the back.
Importantly you saved it and you didn't drop it with one of the kids aboard.
Nelly

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Found an FZ1 handlebar on Bike Bandit. I'll get on dh's case about needing it. :)

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you managed to save it... and the most comfortable stock handle bar position is... replace it!! :BLAA:

Seriously.. FZ1 bar or FZ6R bar is loads more comfortable and inexpensive (~40).

For the first time since owning (3k miles), I experienced wrist discomfort from the awkward bend. My mind started to drift back to all those 'crazies' that run out and put on FZ1, et al bars and thought to myself, "Self... they're on to something."

I haven't done my research but my only real concern would be riding position. Do FZ1 bars cause much more of a lean?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
For the first time since owning (3k miles), I experienced wrist discomfort from the awkward bend. My mind started to drift back to all those 'crazies' that run out and put on FZ1, et al bars and thought to myself, "Self... they're on to something."

I haven't done my research but my only real concern would be riding position. Do FZ1 bars cause much more of a lean?

It changes it very little, if you have longer arms or are a taller person you will probably find the position more comfortable. The the wrist angle is MUCH more comfortable than stock.

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
thought to myself, "Self... they're on to something."

It changes it very little, if you have longer arms or are a taller person you will probably find the position more comfortable. The the wrist angle is MUCH more comfortable than stock.

OK . . . do we have anyone around here who's using the FZ1 or FZ6R handlebar and isn't tall with long arms? I'm 5'4", and I already lean forward a if I'm not right up against the tank. Though I'm pretty sure it's the side-to-side angle that bugs my wrists, not the leaning.

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
OK . . . do we have anyone around here who's using the FZ1 or FZ6R handlebar and isn't tall with long arms? I'm 5'4", and I already lean forward a if I'm not right up against the tank. Though I'm pretty sure it's the side-to-side angle that bugs my wrists, not the leaning.

I'm 5'6" (I think my arms are proportional - who knows!) and have no problems with the FZ1 bars. I haven't tried the stock FZ6 bars though.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

You will probably be better off with FZ6R bar. It has the same rise as FZ6 bar, just less of a bend. It'll stretch you out ever so slightly.. less than FZ1 bar.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you did not wreck. Having had the FZ6 and now the FZ1, noticing very little difference in the ergonomics. I did try some simple risers with the FZ6 and did not have to change any cables. Everything stayed safe and functional. It made a little bit of difference in comfort which may be what you are looking for. The extra little bit of height and backup may give you the extra room for rotating to a comfortable wrist position.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you did not wreck. Having had the FZ6 and now the FZ1, noticing very little difference in the ergonomics. I did try some simple risers with the FZ6 and did not have to change any cables. Everything stayed safe and functional. It made a little bit of difference in comfort which may be what you are looking for. The extra little bit of height and backup may give you the extra room for rotating to a comfortable wrist position.

FZ6 with FZ1 bar is actually more stretched out than FZ1 (I rode them back to back).

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
you could try the renthal medium rise, i went a different route and installed xjr bars (after consulting with Dan) you sit more upright than stock as the bars have more rise and the front end feels lighter due to less weight being placed on the wheel. take your time to adjust to it.

cables seem ok i did not change anything, though the throttle seems to stick open at times! dont know if its due to the bars or something else, the cable is lubed. the brake lines are at their limit tho and im about to replace them.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Re: FZ1 bars

I've had my FZ6 new since 2004, and have never really noticed that the stock handle bars are uncomfortable.

That said, I would love to sit on somebody's bike who has them to see what they feel like. :D