Whats the best you have taken home from a MSF course?

Have you taken a MSF course?

• You have taken the Basic MSF course.

Votes: 61 64.2%
  • You have taken the Advanced MSF course.

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Haven't yet but plan to take the Basic MSF course in the future.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Taken the Basic and plan to take the Advanced MSF course

Votes: 19 20.0%
  • You have done both the courses.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • You feel its a waste of time and money.

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
I took my MSF course last year just to get a refresher. The one best thing I learnt was how to use counter steering effectively. And if theres another I would pick learning better braking techniques.

Please list any of your favorites.

Also please state if you did the Basic or Advanced or both.

Last edited:

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I took the basic MSF course back in 2007:
1. I like the braking/swerving course (especially when we did shortly after a major thunderstorm).
2. Figure 8 turning in the tight box.
3. Proper head positioning while turning.
4. Just to hear my drill sargeant yell the words "Turn Your Freaking Head" again. He's a marshall at the Middlesex County Courthouse, saw him there when I did jury duty and was surprised to hear me utter those words back at him, LOL.

Portmore78

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking where you want to go. I think this is the best advice EVER! Anytime I'm on an on ramp or off ramp and if I don't look where I want to go the turning sucks, but if I do i feel like a pro with a smooth turn.

And also braking, always use both brakes, unless in certain slow moving situations.

Lightndattic

Reaction score
Visit site
I just finished it this last weekend. Looking where you're going and 3 steps on takeoff were the things I remember most. Every time moving forward from a stop, we had to take 3 steps before pulling up our feet. We've get tapped on our helmet every time we didn't do it.

I was stuck behind this one lady who absolutely DID NOT want to go fast enough to get into second. The one exercise where you shift up into 3rd and then back to 2nd, then back to third, etc., was a disaster. They put her last in the group, but after 2 laps around, the whole group was bunched up behind her and stalling bikes because we were not going fast enough for 3rd gear.

Got a 100% on the written and 2 points off the riding for going too fast through the 135 degree turn. I braked, looked and followed the outside-inside-outside path and was within the cones, but they said I did it too fast. I also came back the night after the first day and did the box on my bike. After that, doing it on the 250 was a breeze.

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I took the experienced rider course last weekend, about a year after taking the basic class and buying my first bike.

Refreshers:
• Look through the turns - where you want to go.
• The braking extercises are excellent. It's tough for me to keep from locking the back wheel in panic situations.
• Swerving - accident avoidance - nice to know it's easier than I remembered.
• Low speed maneuvers.

New stuff:
• If you come in to a turn too hot and are drifting out - PUSH HARDER on the inside grip.
• We did an exercise with three different radius turns. This helped with juding speed going into and through the turns.
• Accelerating raises the rear suspension (as well as the front)
• The "course" - a narrow autocross like motorcycle course - was a blast to ride through. This allows using a variety of skills in quick succession.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The torque of the motor through the chain will "lift" the bike. Chop the throttle in a corner and it will squat. Shaft bikes are the worst at this.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lightndattic;210115 Got a 100% on the written and 2 points off the riding for going too fast through the 135 degree turn. I braked said:
Are you sure you about fast? I think they meant too slow. No penalty for going too fast unless you crossed the boundary or slowed down during the turn.