What would you do? ebay sale

Should I end the sale early or wait it out?

• End it early and break even

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Let it Ride!

Votes: 21 95.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BH322893

Pastry Chef
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.HarpersBakery.net
I am selling a set of forks on ebay and after a day of it being up I have a request from a buyer to end it early and they'll pay my reserve price, my question is do you think I should end it early and break even on the sale or let it ride and see if I make more. I payed a little over $180 for them after shipping and that's what I was hoping to get back. I'm a little worried that if I end it the buyer will back out after the fact. Maybe some of you have some past experiences you can offer advice on as selling on ebay is fairly new to me.

Yamaha FZ6 Forks | eBay

I didn't want to put this is the for sale section cause it seems like everyone here is going the r6 route lately.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For me it would depend on how motivated I was to sell whether I would take that price.

Do you have other bidders? It might not be fair to them to do what you're suggesting.

MACH3

nudist
Reaction score
Visit site
0 feedback on ebay means o transactions, most of the the time they have been already banned from one account so they try to rip people off from a newbie account! dont be fooled into any deals outside ebay or paypal, I always prefer to sell at a lower price to a buyer with lots of positive feedback!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i wouldn't bother, you lose the (partial) security of dealing trough ebay then, and you will be making less money

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If they want it badly, they will bid.

Leave it on - see what happens. You may get higher than your reserve.

If you do end the auction, you can always relist with a Buy it Now or Best offer clause. That way it's fair to everyone :thumbup:

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
One of the common Paki (I'm derogatory and specific, but it's a generalization) is to offer the reserve price or above for a product, then have it dealt with outside of eBay. You'll find that you will get peculiar requests, like they'll send too much money and ask you to transfer some back, then you'll have the payment revoked or something like that. Be overly wary - I would say to stay away from such a deal

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
You can always edit your listing and add a buy it now price if you have no bids. If the dude wants it he can buy through that

I agree. I had a guy with 30 positive feedback offer to buy my truck for a decent price if I ended the auction early. I did, then he says, "I'm going to wire you $10k and I'll get the change in cash when I pick it up tomorrow. I'm going to use it for the trip back."

Really? No. So I called back the local guy that wanted it, told him there was a bid for the same price, and he matched it.

cormu

Reaction score
Visit site
I am selling a set of forks on ebay and after a day of it being up I have a request from a buyer to end it early and they'll pay my reserve price, my question is do you think I should end it early and break even on the sale or let it ride and see if I make more. I payed a little over $180 for them after shipping and that's what I was hoping to get back. I'm a little worried that if I end it the buyer will back out after the fact. Maybe some of you have some past experiences you can offer advice on as selling on ebay is fairly new to me.

Yamaha FZ6 Forks | eBay

I didn't want to put this is the for sale section cause it seems like everyone here is going the r6 route lately.

Thanks!!!

Usually when someone trys to buy outside of ebay they are trying to rip you off.
on top of that if there are bids already it is not allowed to end the auction.

I would definatlly put as someone else suggested a buy it now if you are still able and let them do that. also another tip Never accect any other payment than Paypal or money up front dont trust anyone on ebay its full of scammers.

I have had lots of people trying to rip me off in the passed luckelly I have been wize to it every time.

good luck in the auction and enjoy watching the price go up and up :)

DOnt worry if you do not have bids right away most of the time people wait till the last few mins to bid in order to get best price.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And what happens when this guy backs out of paying for it and you don't have a "Second chance" buyer to act as a backup?

Just let it reach its conclusion and if it doesn't hit the reserve then message the guy saying "it didn't hit the reserve but yeah if you want to pay the reserve I'll sell it to you otherwise I'm keeping it".

This guy is just trying to take a short-cut and "score a deal" and may or may not actually be serious about buying at reserve he may just want to know if you will do it or not and if you will he will then weigh his options.

Let it go because:

1) If it sells for more you win.
2) If it sells for less than reserve you have this guy as a backup.
3) If it sells for less and this guy backs out then, he probably would have backed out anyway.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Good advice, I too would just let it ride. If it doesn't sell you can review it and relist it with a 'Buy It Now' price.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I never take down auctions.. if they want it that bad, then bid for them... I usually put in a little not with every auction to not message me for a buy it now price or an offer unless thats how i set up the original bid... good luck with your sale