What will be your epic ride for 2013?

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
So, after getting a little tired off all the gun control talk, surviving 12/21/2012 and dreaming about getting back on 2 wheels I thoght a fun thread would be a place for people to post their planned/dreamt of epic rides for 2013.

The days are getting longer, except you blokes down under, they be getting shorter. Many of you still have a few months of crappy weather to go, but why not put some thought into what the year could hold on the positive side of things.

I'm going for the Million Dollar Highway in June/July

Durango, CO to Ouray, CO - Google Maps

EDIT: To all of our more experienced riders if you could throw in your two cents of advice on things to bring on the trip to be prepared for emergency sitautions i.e. spare clutch cables, etc. After reading this post for a couple days I realized I'm not sure of all the stuff I'd need to bring. I was just planning on my 18L tank Bag and a 25L backpack. If you think this would be a good seperate thread to maybe post in the Noobie forum, maybe the moderators can give a little direction.

Last edited:

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
2013 will be the year I sell my FZ6, I've narrowed my replacement choices down to a 2012 Super Tenere or a 2013 BMW F800 GT.

I don't have a definite time in mind yet but I will go on some kind of massive trip to christen the new wheels. Might be a loop through Oregon/Washington/Idaho, and I might just ride to Florida to visit a friend.

Airplnmech

Reaction score
Visit site
A repeat of the trip that my buddie and I took this spring. My wife is an avid rider also and she was quite jealous so we will be riding from south Georgia up to Front Royal Virginia and then taking the Shenandoah Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway back down to Georgia. It’s about a 2,000 mile camping/riding week. Since we are in the area we will probably do the Tail of the Dragon again too.

Airplnmech

Reaction score
Visit site
2013 will be the year I sell my FZ6, I've narrowed my replacement choices down to a 2012 Super Tenere or a 2013 BMW F800 GT.

I don't have a definite time in mind yet but I will go on some kind of massive trip to christen the new wheels. Might be a loop through Oregon/Washington/Idaho, and I might just ride to Florida to visit a friend.

OOOOOh Super Tenere.......

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
A repeat of the trip that my buddie and I took this spring. My wife is an avid rider also and she was quite jealous so we will be riding from south Georgia up to Front Royal Virginia and then taking the Shenandoah Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway back down to Georgia. It’s about a 2,000 mile camping/riding week. Since we are in the area we will probably do the Tail of the Dragon again too.

Get video/pics. I drove the blue ridge parkway and would love to do it on a bike.

Airplnmech

Reaction score
Visit site
Get video/pics. I drove the blue ridge parkway and would love to do it on a bike.

Here are some teasers from the last trip. We didn't shoot enough video to turn it into a decent youtube video or I would post the link here. Hopefully Santa will bring me a GoPro for Christmas so I can make a better video this spring. :BLAA: I always thought that the FZ was fast, lets just say my buddy on the right with his Daytona 675 made me look like I was riding a Harley. (No offence to any Sons Of Anarchy out there).

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Here are some teasers from the last trip.

Is that second thumbnail in from the BlueRidge Park way up at the top before you hit the Tenn border?

It's so amazing up there. The actual blue color is made by the trees producing gases. I'm jealous now.

Maybe 2014 I'll feel confident/strong enough on the bike to make it across the country.

Airplnmech

Reaction score
Visit site
Is that second thumbnail in from the BlueRidge Park way up at the top before you hit the Tenn border?

It's so amazing up there. The actual blue color is made by the trees producing gases. I'm jealous now.

Maybe 2014 I'll feel confident/strong enough on the bike to make it across the country.

The second one in is right next to Mt. Pisgah. We camped there right next to the Lodge/resturant. As far as being confident enough on the bike for a cross country just remember to only push yourself as far as you are comfortable that day. If you take it in small chunks and plan in enough time so you don't have to rush the trip will be a breeze. I have never made it out your way, do you have some pretty riding out there?

hattu345

Reaction score
Visit site
Planning Croatia, through the balkans and then Turkey. Western part of Turkey that is, the eastern part seems kind of dangerous in these days. Haven't decided on the return route. Is Greece a safe place to be or will they rob me for my food packages I wonder..

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
The second one in is right next to Mt. Pisgah. We camped there right next to the Lodge/resturant. As far as being confident enough on the bike for a cross country just remember to only push yourself as far as you are comfortable that day. If you take it in small chunks and plan in enough time so you don't have to rush the trip will be a breeze. I have never made it out your way, do you have some pretty riding out there?

There is some amazing riding out here. It's just completely different than the mountains and trees back there. The desert landscape is such a huge open feeling and at some points almost seems like an alien planet. You can almost always see a great distance in any direction and have big blue skies with puffy clouds over head. The other thing is our mountains are different. Usually giant rock faced projectoins out of the earth. In AZ there is an elevation change of around 6000 ft from North to South. Most people assume the desert is flat.

One of my favorite areas is northern arizona border, a place called Lee's Ferry and the Vermillion cliffs. I've done several back packing trips around there and it's pretty amazing.

Desert Marmot Home

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Planning Croatia, through the balkans and then Turkey. Western part of Turkey that is, the eastern part seems kind of dangerous in these days. Haven't decided on the return route. Is Greece a safe place to be or will they rob me for my food packages I wonder..

Are you joking or is it really that bad in Greece?

I would have been more worried about Croatia but that's because I have Serbian friends here who's family fled during the war torn years.

Keep us updated, I'd love to hear how that trip goes.

hattu345

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you joking or is it really that bad in Greece?

I would have been more worried about Croatia but that's because I have Serbian friends here who's family fled during the war torn years.

Keep us updated, I'd love to hear how that trip goes.

I'm a little concerned but yes that was a joke. I think Croatia is not a problem as there are a lot of tourists there in the summer.

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
We are just considering the Antrim Coast road in Northern Ireland- we live in Wales so a run up to Liverpool and the ferry to Dublin and then over the border and stop overnight in Carrickfergus run the coast road and stop over at the other end- I think that is about 200 miles and then back the third day and maybe an overnight ferry back or push on back to mid Wales
Sounds about 700 miles all told but I am told it is an awesome road to run

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I love the PHX area, went to school at ASU. But if I lived there, I would still be slabbin it to Southern Cal and ride their twisties. That's what I did when I lived in Vegas, the S. Cal riders/members welcome you and are great ambassadors when it comes to riding in their backyard.

I'm very fortunate that I was able to place all those great motorcycle roads on my resume, and I couldn't have done that without their help, often leading the way. And this forum too!:thumbup:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I love the PHX area, went to school at ASU. But if I lived there, I would still be slabbin it to Southern Cal and ride their twisties. That's what I did when I lived in Vegas, the S. Cal riders/members welcome you and are great ambassadors when it comes to riding in their backyard.

I'm very fortunate that I was able to place all those great motorcycle roads on my resume, and I couldn't have done that without their help, often leading the way. And this forum too!:thumbup:

I have been thinking about making the trek over to the coast. Right now it's about a 100 miles outside my comfort zone for riding in a day (375 miles to LA, and I notice I'm good to around 250-300). I'm hoping when the new Fz1 shows up I can ride more comfortably for longer.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Might be a little ambitious but....

Actually never mind......"This route includes a ferry."

LMAO, I was sitting there wondering why it was taking so long for google to load up the map.

I heard Algeria is beautiful in the middle of their summer. LOL

You'd have to trade in your Fz6 for a BMW G650GS or KLR650 to make it on probably 1/3 of those roads, forget the worrying about the ferry.