What tent do you use?

EZ Rider

On the Road
Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered the Alps Mountaineering Mystique two person due to it's small pack size. Any thoughts on this tent or other tents that pack small and work well for motorcycle camping?

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know your particulars . . . solo riding, length of trip, etc., but the motocampers forum has no end of product reviews and anything else you can imagine. Check out the recipe section.

My wife and I camp off our bikes, and I am looking at the Slumberjack 4-person Trail Tent. I typically buy a tent double the nominal capacity of users to allow for stuff.

Joe

Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered the Alps Mountaineering Mystique two person due to it's small pack size. Any thoughts on this tent or other tents that pack small and work well for motorcycle camping?

The reviews look good on that tent, and the brand. Did you buy the footprint for it?
ALPS Mountaineering Mystique 2 Floor Saver Tent Footprint - Special Buy at REI-OUTLET.com

I bought a new tent last Spring when Amazon had a special sale. The Mountainsmith Morrison 2 ... Lovin it!

Amazons' current price:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Mountainsmith-Morrison-Person-Season-Citron/dp/B00452C2IC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362924031&sr=8-1&keywords=mountainsmith+morrison]Amazon.com: Mountainsmith Morrison 2 Person 3 Season Tent (Citron Green): Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmkEZ55rRZk]GEAR REVIEW: Mountainsmith Morrison Tent - YouTube[/ame]

EZ Rider

On the Road
Reaction score
Visit site
I have not purchased the footprint yet. The one concern I have with this tent is that it is non-free standing. Most reviews say this isn't an issue, but I've never had a non free standing tent before. Any thoughts?

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I go with a hammock all the time unless i KNOW i will be in an area with no trees. Packs small (also extremely light), much easier to set up, easier to tear down and pack, and best of all SUPER comfortable without needing a sleeping pad!
Image08012012195851.jpg

Image07282012185324.jpg

With this setup (no rainfly or bug net) it packs up to about the size of a 12" softball. Still small with those items though.

Last edited:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a Marmot "2 person"... more space than the 1-person but you aren't getting 2 people in this tent unless it's 2 skinny women or 2 dudes that don't mind spooning :spank:

I like it though, keeps you out of the elements, no drippage, no wet base... packs small enough to get into a soft bag... great for biking.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a Eureka El Capitan 3 man tent (Eureka Tents Canada). Awesome tent that would easily fit two people plus gear.

Went a bit overboard with it though. It's a bit on the big and heavy side, not the end of the world though as I'm not carrying it on my back.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Decided I should probably post a Pic or two of what mine looks like...

Marmot Limelight 2p
images

Packs up to 7"X18"

I love it because you get a door on both sides, and when you have the rain hood on, you can put your shoes outside the tent but still under it, and keep them dry.

I got it specifically for motorcycle trips, and i love that it packs up so small!

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site

Non freestanding isn't a big deal, just means you have to use the stakes for it to stay up, which means level ground is optimal. I have yet to meet someone who enjoys sleeping on an angle anyways, so no worries :thumbup:

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have not purchased the footprint yet. The one concern I have with this tent is that it is non-free standing. Most reviews say this isn't an issue, but I've never had a non free standing tent before. Any thoughts?

All depends what the ground is like. I've been tenting in areas were the ground was either extremely hard or soft that won't allow the use of tent pegs. If I hadn't had a free standing no way I'd be tenting.

AthensGA37

Reaction score
Visit site
I used the North Face Flint 2 last year on a 4 day trip on the AT.

Not the greatest for cold weather, but perfect for summer trips (which is when most of my long distance motorcycle trips are anyways) I'm still partial to my ENO One Link hammock...but if you don't have tree's this is just right for 2 people plus minimal gear. It also has a canopy that extends out for shoes, gear etc.

The North Face Flint 2 Tent - Free Shipping on The North Face orders over $49 at Moosejaw