What should I know

DWisen

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently ran across a hell of a deal on an 07 FZ6 with LOW miles at a great price. I am pretty set on getting the bike but i want to know if there is anything I should know about the bike before I make my purchase.
I know most bikes have a couple of quirks or known problems and this is what I am interested in. For example if they have known break issues or they have electrical problems etc.

2nd Is it worth buying an 8 year old bike even with low miles over buying one brand new in the same price range.

Thanks ahead of time. DWise

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is 3800 and a new CB300f is about the same price.

FZ is twice the 300 in GO and brakes....

On LOW mile older bikes the only thing I'd be really concerned about is all that sitting time.

Open fuel filler door and inspect inner rim and if lower on fuel as much of the tanks inside as possible. Rust **can cause** latent issues like failures of; pump, injectors, and obviously driveability issues.

This is an issue for ALL bikes with steal uncoated fuel tanks. Keep them FULL while parked for weeks, months, years.....

Beyond that, expect to get the normal maintenance items caught up:
Flush and bleed brakes
Flush and bleed coolant
Tires if more than 4 - 5 years old
Battery if sitting too long
Clean and lube chain
Fork oil isn't bad idea to improve ride quality. Stock is 5wt, most go to 7.5wt or even 10wt to plant the nose a little better.

Its all just normal stuff for any bikes age.

Good luck, what ever you decide!

DWisen

Reaction score
Visit site
On LOW mile older bikes the only thing I'd be really concerned about is all that sitting time.
Good luck, what ever you decide!

Thanks for your reply. The bike was used pretty often as a daily commuter to and from work in the city. so I would say that %99 of the miles are city miles. I was told the bike was used up till pretty recent and has not sat for too too long.

He did a cold start for me and it fired right up and sounded great but would not let me bring it for a test drive which I am kind of wary about.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just make sure you're not getting the bike with the stock tires, they are old and beyond it's shelf life regardless how much tread remains.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
If it's a "great price", then how is it in the same price range as comparable brand new bikes??

The FZ6 is 3800 and a new CB300f is about the same price.

Right, I said "comparable" brand new bikes. You have an 8 year old used 600cc with 98hp, and a new 300cc bike with 30hp. Not comparable at all.

If it's your first bike, the lower hp bike is the better option, but if you buy it new, you'll take a depreciation hit in value as soon as you ride it off the dealer's lot. An even better option is a used 250-300cc bike in the <$2500 range.

DWisen

Reaction score
Visit site
How visible should exhaust be? The bike idled for about 5min while talking about it and I could see the exhaust. The temp was about 60-65F this morning when I checked on the bike. I would say it was about as visible as the steam from a tea kettle or from a cup of coffee or car exhaust during the winter.
There were no smells that concerned me right off hand.

I just want to make sure I am not buying into a money pit.

DWisen

Reaction score
Visit site
If it's your first bike, the lower hp bike is the better option, but if you buy it new, you'll take a depreciation hit in value as soon as you ride it off the dealer's lot. An even better option is a used 250-300cc bike in the <$2500 range.

No, I used to own an 01 Suzuki GSX600F Katana. I miss that bike lol.
I also know you take a big hit on value as soon as you drive off the lot. It is to be expected. Thank you for your reply.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
How visible should exhaust be? The bike idled for about 5min while talking about it and I could see the exhaust. The temp was about 60-65F this morning when I checked on the bike. I would say it was about as visible as the steam from a tea kettle or from a cup of coffee or car exhaust during the winter.
There were no smells that concerned me right off hand.

I just want to make sure I am not buying into a money pit.

The reason vehicles give off water vapor is because the exhaust system hasn't heated up enough yet. Once the exhaust (and the heads as well) are hot, the water vapor simply 'burns' off (flashes) before it leaves the exhaust. That fact that you saw water vapor is just a side effect of the bike being cold still. Nothing to worry about. :thumbup:

And for the record, 5 minutes of idling typically isn't enough to get the bike warm. The coolant may warm up over 140*F (which is when the tach stops blinking on 04-06 bikes), but the oil will still be pretty lukewarm.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Right, I said "comparable" brand new bikes. You have an 8 year old used 600cc with 98hp, and a new 300cc bike with 30hp. Not comparable at all.

It's pretty mellow bike really. Well, until you twist the grip to its stop! :D:D
2nd gear is the better part of 9X mph so it has some potential you just gotta be smart about when and where you twist it.

If it fits you size wise and you do lots of low speed parking lot training (circles, Eights, down and back, tighter turns, and trail braking) - you'll teach yourself how to handle imperfect conditions which will save you from a spill when out riding.

Don't get me wrong about power - IT HAS THAT, just don't abuse OR jump in over your head. Esp if you can't flat foot this bike and you're new to riding. Its heavy and once headed down, most won't be able to stop it.

JM2C!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The reason vehicles give off water vapor is because the exhaust system hasn't heated up enough yet. Once the exhaust (and the heads as well) are hot, the water vapor simply 'burns' off (flashes) before it leaves the exhaust. That fact that you saw water vapor is just a side effect of the bike being cold still. Nothing to worry about. :thumbup:

And for the record, 5 minutes of idling typically isn't enough to get the bike warm. The coolant may warm up over 140*F (which is when the tach stops blinking on 04-06 bikes), but the oil will still be pretty lukewarm.

^^ Well said!

While I taking measurements of the bikes fuel system it was in the 50°F I ran the bike through several start up/shut down sessions. There was lots of vapor for all the reasons mentioned. In addition to the above info; The act of compression takes the moisture from the air and condense it into solids (water) and its the exhausts velocity which carries it out the tail pipe where it changes state again and looks like steam and some cases actual liquids! In my case the repeated "cool down" cycles also allow the exhaust to condense moisture from the air inside the exhaust. Its all normal!

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently ran across a hell of a deal on an 07 FZ6 with LOW miles at a great price. I am pretty set on getting the bike but i want to know if there is anything I should know about the bike before I make my purchase.
I know most bikes have a couple of quirks or known problems and this is what I am interested in. For example if they have known break issues or they have electrical problems etc.

2nd Is it worth buying an 8 year old bike even with low miles over buying one brand new in the same price range.

Thanks ahead of time. DWise
i'd take $500 off the price, or try. whatever you save can be put back into the bike should something go "wrong." sounds like you are willing to buy a new bike at over $4000 once all said and done. take some money off the top of the FZ6 and you most likely wouldn't reach over four grand even if something went really bad about the bike

i considered low cost "new" almost a year ago when i bought my low mileage '07 FZ6 (6700 miles). but i am 6'3 and 220lbs so didn't really fit smaller bikes and wanted freeway / highway power. i considered a Hyosung 250GT naked because its a full sized bike. but the dealer wouldn't back down from $3900OTD on a two year old leftover, and it was 40 miles away and the nearest dealer should it need warranty repair. i bought the FZ6 knowing little about motorcycles, I4 power, or Yamaha. just knew the bike was said to be reliable, bulletproof, and tough

and it has been that for around 8000 miles of riding since. bike has near 15000 miles on it, now. nothing but tires, oil, and coolant, brake bleed. recently lubed the clutch cable and adjusted the chain for the second time since i got it. have changed the oil three times. no issues except several quirky starts but i have given that over to a failing battery, recently replaced. will do spark plugs and throttle body sync soon, and buy tires for the second time since i got it in around 1000 more miles. gonna get around 8000 miles out of the tires

thats been it. daily rider in Greater Los Angeles. this bike is a blast. it is fast (keeps up with any 600cc supersport on the streets), smooth, and has been reliable. if you need highway power this bike gets to 90mph in under 8 seconds and can cruise there all day without a struggle. the Honda 300cc is lucky to reach 90mph, period. the FZ6 is just getting started at 90mph and can blast off from there in a heartbeat to well over 100mph. without effort, without fuss. it charges up hills and into headwinds, too. completely unhindered. and it is supremely comfortable to ride all day imo

that has been my experience on the '07 FZ6. not trying to sell you on the bike, really. your needs might be different. and you can always get the little Honda, sell it later, and get a used bike if a "new" bike gives you more assurance atm. but that has been my experience, no regrets

i LOVE my used FZ6. but yeah, get the price DOWN $500 or so. i got mine for $3000 ;)

oh, and THIS message board is full of active, expert posters on the bike should something go wrong. great advice and help, here. unlike i have seen or read on other bike forums, really. i rest assured on account of that, too

Last edited:

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
No, I used to own an 01 Suzuki GSX600F Katana. I miss that bike lol.
I also know you take a big hit on value as soon as you drive off the lot. It is to be expected. Thank you for your reply.

With 600cc experience already under your belt - I'd go with the FZ6 over the 300 - depending on the type of riding you are planning to do of course. Sure makes passing easier too.

For example, if you're going to take it on longer journeys - that would quickly slim the decision down to 1 of these 2 bikes for me.

Was the '01 Katana FI? I was looking into the last models of those when shopping bikes and can't quite recall that far back in years if it was or not.

I'd certainly see if you could get the price down a bit more like others have said as well. This is the time of season that prices should be *lower* than normal - depends on if you're already in love with it or not tho. It is the do-it-all bike that requires little, and gives big grins no matter how you use it.

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
He did a cold start for me and it fired right up and sounded great but would not let me bring it for a test drive which I am kind of wary about.

I understand how you feel, but to be honest, I wouldn't let anyone ride my bike if I was selling it. Kind of an unwritten rule in Perth - we've never let anyone ride any bikes we've sold and we've never had a problem selling them. Mind you, we also weren't selling any bikes with problems, so no guilt for us.

If you're unsure, get a mate with really good mechanical knowledge to check the bike over.

Other than checking for clean oil and leaks, without someone knowledgeable, you might miss something.

Good luck!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Was the '01 Katana FI? I was looking into the last models of those when shopping bikes and can't quite recall that far back in years if it was or not.
I don't think any Katanas were FI I believe because I remember when i started looking into 600s I kept seeing the Katanas going for super cheap used everywhere and got real interested until I kept finding them all having carburetors, that was the SOLE reason I was upgrading from my Nin250. I didn't mind not having tons of power, for my small frame self it was plenty and the flickability was awesome....just could not stand it being the year 2013 and I still had to mess with a choke. I almost bought a Ninja 300 because I loved my 250 but settled on a used 600 (my FZ6) instead and haven't really regretted it...though I still REALLY wanna ride one and whip it around.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
$3800 isn't really a "great price" on a nearly 8 year old FZ6.

I bought my 2006 FZ6 brand new from a dealer in January of 2007 for $5,500 OTD! It was marked down because the 2007 model S2's had just come out. I know you are in the deep south but it's still winter and bike prices should be lower this time of year.

Low miles on a bike that was only ridden in stop and go traffic doesn't mean the bike's in better shape. 20,000 highway miles cause less wear on an engine, clutch, brakes and transmission than 5,000 miles of city riding.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
$3800 isn't really a "great price" on a nearly 8 year old FZ6.
Tell me about it... I spent $4100 on mine and it had 4400mi on it when I got it, I don't know why I didn't haggle. The guy even asked why I didn't haggle and I asked him "can I now?" and he said "too late" lol. Lesson learned, plus I didn't know what they were going for