What route would you take to Reno?

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
My wife & I are thinking about visiting some friends in Reno this summer and I thought it might be more fun to fly her there and then I could ride the bike up & back. I've been looking at different routes would avoid as much freeway time as I could but still keep it around a two day each way trip. Here's what I have come up with so far from:lemon grove, ca to:CA-94/Campo Rd to:32.666836,-116.785526 to:CA-79 to:CA-79 to:Sage Rd to:US-395 to:Reno, NV - Google Maps Although there are only about 50 miles of actual freeway, there is still a boat load of 395 though the high desert. I've driven this road a few times some years back and don't remember it being all that great.

Anybody got some better ideas for a route?

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
That's the route I take to Mammoth all the time from LA. All I know is from Perris to Bishop is extremely boring... almost all desert once you get over the hill. Yeah... on the bike that's probably my route as well.

Riding by yourself?

awill1

Reaction score
Visit site
Too bad there is no great way to get to Yosemite. Yosemite is amazing, but the ride through the central valley is boring and full of highways. Your route looks pretty good to me.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
May I suggest taking hwy 6 north from Bishop to Benton. Turn left on Hwy 120 back toward hwy 395. This road is a hoot! One of my favorite roads, ride it with gusto! Not much traffic with some whoops and fun high speed sweepers. Gets more scenic as you get closer to Mono Lake.
Also hwy 4 (Monitor pass). Turn left off 395 before Topaz Lake and a right on 89 toward South Lake Tahoe. At South Shore stay right on Hwy 50 and ride the east (Nevada) side of Lake Tahoe up to a left on 28 toward Incline Village where you will jump on 431 (Mt Rose hwy) into Reno. Yes this will add some riding time, but you will really enjoy these roads while missing some boring stuff below Reno.
On the way back if you can ride through Virginia city and back over to 395. VC road is fun.

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
I looked at the route your suggesting and I will say it looks a little more interesting. I'd probably have to talk myself into buying a GPS to follow that track while riding but who knows :thumbup: