What lids (helmets) have actually PROVEN to hold up best in a crash?

Which brand has been proven to have the best crash ratings?

• Shoei

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Arai

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • HJC

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Scorpion

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Schuberth

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other - Explain

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Ok, i have a whole buncha different things to add.

Here in SA it's fairly straightforward when it comes to buying a lid:

El cheapo for R1000 and less, usually AMA Racing or such for 500-600 rands.

From 2k - 10k you can have Arai, Shark, Shoei, AGV etc.

But here's the kicker, there are ONLY 2 types of helmets, fibreglass or plastic. Fibreglass is stronger, lighter, sprayable and generally a better product. Plastic is cheap, light, weaker and sensitive to chemicals (painting one would ruin the structural integrity of the plastics.) Plastic helmets are also more likely to develop cracks after a minor fall, thus making them worthless for ever after, without you realising it.

There's a myth this side that you must buy the most expensive helmet you can't afford, and has become an ego boost in it's own right. If you can afford a 10k helmet your head is worth more than the bloke with a 1k helmet. Stupid really, when the helmets are both plastic, the only difference is comfort and noise. Difference in true safety is zero.

I use a lafe, which is south african made fibreglass helmets. They provide for several military and law enforcement agencies worldwide, and make a whole range including for pilots, parachutists and bikers. It cost me about R1200 2-3 years back. Sadly, because of the whole "image" thing, lafe's don't sell too well here, because they don't look cool. (really) So people pay more for a lower quality helmet ... cos it looks cool.

I'm not 100% happy though, build quality was sloppy, and since none of the local suppliers stock it, i need to plan ahead to get replacement screens etc. But, i can get them for relatively cheap (about R400 for a visor), and it's a simple design, so i can swap out the dark visor for a clear one when i'm out at night times.

I'm busy preparing to refit the inside, wind noise is a bit much, and i want to spray it, looking a bit grubby already with arbitrary scratches etc, but i can paint it, refurbish it, and wear it for a few years more.

Oh and one more thing: open face helmet have also become "cool" to wear. Here's 1 thought, no matter how you come off, you're probably going face first. You really do want that chin guard. ;-)

kdburtch

Reaction score
Visit site
The best helmet for very obvious reasons, is a helmet that is comfortable, if its not comfortable, you wont wear it, and no use having a $600.00 helmet sitting on a shelf. Dont buy online, go to a store and try on several different brands, and models.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i buy my helmets based on the sharp tests. all helmets are ECE 2205 approved but only a bunch of them get 5star ratings

SHARP Helmets - THE HELMET SAFETY SCHEME

i stick with shark and agv (not the cheaper versions tho), because they both fit me well, that said shark liners are way more comfortable (RSX compared to AGV stealth and ti tech. RSR 2 is on par with ti tech for liner comfort/thickness tho).

i' ve crashed in the agv stealth, not a huge crash but i landed on the chin bar, just a scratch on the chin bar. my chin/face was intact

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I think anything DOT approved is tested by the state and deemed sufficient in the area of protection.

I've got 2 HJC's and 1 Shoe.

Like you, I had just the HJC for a while. I wore it almost every day for 3 years. To be honest, I'm not impressed. They were cheap helmets - and you can tell. The straps twist when you tighten them, there's is so much turbulence inside the helmet from wind, my eyes would dry out - and the most annoying thing I found about HJC (at least the cheap ones) is the visors only have 3 positions - open, closed, or half way. This always irritated me because I like having wind in my face, didn't want the visor all the way open or even half open - I would just like it BARELY cracked.

So I manned up and bought a Shoe. MAN are they quality helmets - at least in the sense of comfort. The padding is incredibly comfortable, its substantially quieter inside the helmet than the HJC's, and the visor locks in any position you'd like.

To add to the Shoe's reputation - my riding buddy of 4 years crashed his bike 3 times. He wore the same Shoe helmet for all of his crashes (even though it is suggested that a helmet is compromised when dropped from over waste height) - and that friggen thing held up solid through all of them. He even sold it to somebody on craigslist for $100 - and the person knew it had been in 3 accidents. These shoe helmets are solid - expensive, and comfortable.

If you've got the money - I highly recommend any of the quality Shoe helmets. Definitly a solid build, very comfortable, sleek looking, and DOT tested.

That's how I feel. You get what you pay for.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got 2 HJC's and 1 Shoe.

Like you, I had just the HJC for a while. I wore it almost every day for 3 years. To be honest, I'm not impressed. They were cheap helmets - and you can tell. The straps twist when you tighten them, there's is so much turbulence inside the helmet from wind, my eyes would dry out - and the most annoying thing I found about HJC (at least the cheap ones) is the visors only have 3 positions - open, closed, or half way. This always irritated me because I like having wind in my face, didn't want the visor all the way open or even half open - I would just like it BARELY cracked.

I've recently bought a HJC R-PHA 10 (Ben Spies Replica Limited Edition (red star :D) :drool:) and have a different opinion about those helmets...
HJC has improved its quality a lot the last couple of years...
It fits perfectly (a lot better than my old Shark RSR, RSR-2 and my Shark Racer-Pro) and really keeps the sound out :)
One thing I liked more on my Sharks, is the fully adjustable screen hinge: they didn't had any stops, so you had infinite ways of opening/closing your visor.
As for the R-PHA10, you can leave it barely opened, by going to the "closed" position, but don't use the visor locking latch in the front...
This helps a lot and is the best configuration for me (I too love the wind on my face, but not in my eyes ;))

Grtz,

Degake

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
In all honesty - It has been 3+ years. And they were cheap helmets to begin with. No doubt HJC offers more quality helmets as well as cheap ones - I was just comparing my Shoe to my cheap HJC's.

Just looking at the R-PHA 10's - they definitely appear to be on the premium side of the HJC product line. I can vouch though that their cheaper products are simply not as comfortable for me.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is - MY recommendation would be to steer clear of the 89$ helmets (unless you have no helmet and you've got a tight budget - then any helmet is better than none), you can really tell the difference when you're wearing it.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
In all honesty - It has been 3+ years. And they were cheap helmets to begin with. No doubt HJC offers more quality helmets as well as cheap ones - I was just comparing my Shoe to my cheap HJC's.

Just looking at the R-PHA 10's - they definitely appear to be on the premium side of the HJC product line. I can vouch though that their cheaper products are simply not as comfortable for me.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is - MY recommendation would be to steer clear of the 89$ helmets (unless you have no helmet and you've got a tight budget - then any helmet is better than none), you can really tell the difference when you're wearing it.

R-PHA10 was more around $700 :D
Picture of the helmet:

And actual picture of my biggest fan wearing my helmet (As you all need proof of it actually been bought :D)

Grtz,

Degake

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
wow degake what a nice collection of lids! especially the race-r pro and the rsr2! wow, which fit better from these 2? i've never used hjc because the only stockist we have has only old helmets so you cannot try newer versions on.

having such a vast array of helmet brands and prices, i use the sharp test as guidelines, shortlist my favourite helmets and go from there.

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
A few years ago the UK Government introduced a helmet safety scheme known as SHARP, and from what I have seen the tests they perform seem to be quite thorough, providing a safety rating out of 5 stars, with further details of the front, side and rear impact results etc, worth a look.

SHARP Helmets - THE HELMET SAFETY SCHEME

Yamahaboyz

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
If a sale on a Shoei comes by I'd pick one up. If I try on a Shoei at say the local bike shop and a large fits me well, does that mean that any Shoei Large size will fit the same? That's the problem with ordering online, can't try it on but you usually save a ton of cash.

LCR

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a Bieffe helmet that I faceplanted in. I used that as a conversation piece to all my bandana harley riding friends! Do your research and find the helmet that best fits your head. That is the most important part of a helmet! Just hope you never have to worry about using it! ATTGAT!

I've actually had those guys tell me that because the way they sit and ride their bikes they don't need helmets. It's because we are leaning forward means we are gonna go flying and need them. :BLAA:

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I've actually had those guys tell me that because the way they sit and ride their bikes they don't need helmets. It's because we are leaning forward means we are gonna go flying and need them. :BLAA:

Obviously they don't understand basic physics lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
wow degake what a nice collection of lids! especially the race-r pro and the rsr2! wow, which fit better from these 2?

The rsr-2 fitted the best for me, but the race-r pro has a slightly better noice reduction :)
But the HJC fits the best of them and is on par at noise reduction :)

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
The only lid I've tested for crash dynamics :rolleyes:, is the HJC CL-15, went over the bars at 40mph, hit the ground head first, blacked out for a few minutes, afterwards the helmet squeaked when you put pressure on it, or flexed it,but it didn't break, it was very quiet for a $150 helmet, fit great too.

Monstro

Reaction score
Visit site
From experience I'd have to say Shoei, others may be as good if not better but it's the helmet I was wearing when a sweet old lady "u" turned and sent me spinning through the air, helmet took the force of the landing. No damage to head area, missus may argue that lol, and no concussion.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fit and attached when all is said and done. Mistakes like not fastening the strap one time could be the difference. . .

Also - a good helmet may(will) show damage during more severe impacts and that can be ideal as it means it absorbed some of the G-forces vs your brain being pounded against your skull.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to agree with what most people are saying. The helmet that will hold up best in a crash is the one that is ON your head, FITS your head, and is BUCKLED.

I personally use a HJC CS-R1. It cost me $80, and I don't feel any less safe than other guys wearing $500 helmets. I've forgotten to buckle the strap a few times, that was pretty scary

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Anything with a Snell rating has to be proven to stack up well or it would not have been approved. for that reason snell does not approve modular (flip up) helmets or half shells. that being said Suomy and Shark make great helmets even though neither are snell approved.

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
I base little on snell ratings, at least nothing older than the m2010 ratings.
Read this pdf, you will understand why.
www.westcoastweasels.com/archives/PDF/Blowing_the_Lid_Off.pdf

Granted, this is somewhat old but it does call into question snell's testing methods.
I would rather find a helmet that is ece rated and here is why. DOT and Snell only require ONE helmet of said model to be tested.
With ECE ratings, a helmet from EACH batch must be tested. Plus many of the tests are more stringent. I would rather get a helmet rated DOT AND ECE than one with a snell m2005 rating. At least with the m2010 rating, snell actually entered the world of science and realized that different heads weighed different amounts.

Also, there are many modular helmets that are rated ece now.

What I find hilarious are the number of people preaching arai and shoei but leaving out Caberg and Shuberth or Nolan, which are every bit as good, just made in europe. For some reason, that puts them of peoples radars.

I currently use an AFX fx90 lid. I suggest people read up on sites like webbikeworld.com and the helmet reviews they do.
There are many good helmets that do not cost $500 or even $200.

Bottom line, do not fall into brand names. Find a lid that fits and gives you the features you want, and is built well. That is what should be important.

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Scorpion for me. Had a minor get-off with an HJC on, had a mild concussion, head barely touched the ground. With my Exo-700, after my big crash on my Buell Firebolt, not even the mildest of head pains.