What lids (helmets) have actually PROVEN to hold up best in a crash?

Which brand has been proven to have the best crash ratings?

• Shoei

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Arai

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • HJC

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Scorpion

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Schuberth

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other - Explain

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
With all the riding I've been doing this past year due to gas prices (I commute and a few 2-3 day trips several times a year)...I've been thinking of replacing my 4 year old basic quality DOT/Snell HJC lid with something actually tried and tested to provide real protection in a crash.

I think I paid about $100 for my current helmet on sale...it's probably only mediocre in the protection category which is the entire reason for a helmet!

So what say you? I'm not interesting in buying a brand just because it's popular (for instance: even squids know you are not "in-style" unless your helmet says "Arai" Or "Shoei" but are those really the best protection or just the most expensive? What about Icon? Higher end Scorpions? (I also have an EXO-1000 I use for passengers because it's a bit too snug)

Discuss.

Last edited:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless people have some hard data this thread will simply fill up with opinions like a which tire grips best thread lol.

I would think as long as it is DOT rated and fits comfortably and is full face you are good. I like my zox modular A LOT, it is super comfortable and has a metal latching system and it is quiet and I like how it looks too. I paid around $160 or $170 for it.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
With all the riding I've been doing this past year due to gas prices (I commute and a few 2-3 day trips several times a year)...I've been thinking of replacing my 4 year old basic quality DOT/Snell HJC lid with something actually tried and tested to provide real protection in a crash.

I think I paid about $100 for my current helmet on sale...it's probably only mediocre in the protection category which is the entire reason for a helmet!

So what say you? I'm not interesting in buying a brand just because it's popular (for instance: even squids know you are not "in-style" unless your helmet says "Arai" Or "Shoei" but are those really the best protection or just the most expensive? What about Icon? Higher end Scorpions? (I also have an EXO-1000 I use for passengers because it's a bit too snug)

Discuss.
I guess the simple answer is, any lid that you walk away from a crash in.
HJC AC11 scored as the joint number one (with Shoei) rated lid after being tested to destruction by RiDE magazine in 2005. Here is a review based on noise an comfort.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/2366-excellent-multi-helmet-review-how-good-yours.html
I witnessed an R1 based sidecar out fit flip up and land on a riders head. He was wearing a budget fiberglass lid that split in half. He walked away from the accident.
Personally I go for comfort.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless people have some hard data this thread will simply fill up with opinions like a which tire grips best thread lol.

I would think as long as it is DOT rated and fits comfortably and is full face you are good. I like my zox modular A LOT, it is super comfortable and has a metal latching system and it is quiet and I like how it looks too. I paid around $160 or $170 for it.
Yep, I agree with you on this one. It will be an opinion based poll with a bit of justification why I spent a zillion.
Hopefully it will throw up some good links to broaden the discussion and research.

Nelly

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Look at the racers. I know there are always sponsorship deals but Rossi wouldn't wear AGV, Stoner Nolan, or Lorenzo and Checa X-Lite if they weren't proven to do the business. Similar logic can be applied to those wearing Suomy, Bell, Shoei, Shark, Arai.... take your pick.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't SNELL or DOT test each helmet? Wouldn't it make sense that each helmet has some sort or crash rating recorded somewhere? That is what I'm after. I have no problem paying $300 for a good helmet if it's stronger in a crash than my $100 helmet.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've worn Shoei for years. The key for a helmet to be effective in a crash is proper fit, without that a helmet will not perform as well.

Personal story, I highsided at about 100 to 120 mph, hit my head about 10 times. I suffered a concussion but otherwise the brain came out okay. I owe my life to that Shoei. It was a cool Wayne Gardner special. I'm pretty sure it was an RF100 or RF200.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't SNELL or DOT test each helmet? Wouldn't it make sense that each helmet has some sort or crash rating recorded somewhere? That is what I'm after. I have no problem paying $300 for a good helmet if it's stronger in a crash than my $100 helmet.

Yes they all have to meet a minimum standard. What the higher price gets you is better finish, better venting, better liners, better/easier buckles. Also different brands of helmet have different fits from one another. I could never wear Bell or Arai, but Shoei fit me prefectly.

I've had inexpensive helmets, only to have the lining wear out after a season.

Here's some reading for you: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

http://www.msf-usa.org/imsc/proceedings/a-Thom-ComparisonTestsofMotorcycleHelmets.pdf

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
well i know my afx dual sport helmet save my life and my joe rocket alter ago jacket saved the use of my right arm so ya im with everyone else any "lid" that dose its job

Chupacabra

College Graduate??
Reaction score
Visit site
The linked article by Hellgate is the best to determine your type of helmet...

I personally have worn only Arai helmets but know the reason I bought it is because of what comes along with the safety- comfort, fitment and interior materials.

I will attest to Shoei helmets as the best road helmets- the Qwest and the RF-1100 are premium helmets, but not up to Arai premium for me because of the interior. It just felt itchy compared to the RX-Q Arai.

Main difference in the $200 helmet and $350+ helmets from my experience and observations is the premiums always feel the same as the day you bought them...the lesser expensive ones feel really, really cheap in comparison.

Last edited:

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My wife and I both use HJC IS-16 helmets right now. My first helmet was an HJC AC-11. I lowsided my first bike at 75 km/h onto the left side. I ended up riding it on it's side into some wooden posts with steel cables running through them protecting vehicles from going off the road and into a gulley. The bike whipped around one post, and the back of my helmet hit another post. I then was flung from the bike and rolled down the road for ~20meters. My helmet was crushed inwards at the back, had a split visor and multiple deep groves worked into it. I was able to get up and collect the major bits of motorcycle off the roadway.

Since then, I've only used HJC's. I've had 3-4 others including my new(ish) IS-16. I'll continue to use HJC, as I feel comfortable in them and they fit me well. When I cease to feel good about an HJC helmet, I'll switch to another brand.

Like the others have mentioned, it's all a matter of fit, form, and function. Every helmet must meet minimum standards. The extra $$ delivers advanced features, such as lighter weight, better ventilation, quieter ride, etc.

Here is a link that will explain what the difference is between DOT, SNELL, and ECE 22-05. I think Australia has a separate, fourth standard for rating helmets.

Hope this helps! :thumbup:

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
the arai testimonials sold it to me too, especially stories of having a 4x4 on top of the helmet and it not being crushed, also they are the only helmet which seemed to fit me properly

Last edited:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Personal experience here for Shoei.

When I was t-boned by a drunk downtown, I flipped about ten feet in the air a few times (hearing the witness testimony was both scary and pretty badass), I landed squarely on my head.

Was a little disoriented, but I got up and waddled to the sidewalk and asked someone for a cigarette before sitting down.

No concussion, nor any neck/spine damage. The helmet had a nice crack on the top, but held up otherwise.

Which is why when I got my fz6 I picked up a rf-1000 before I even picked up the bike.

I'm sure other brands are great, but I'm now a pretty loyal customer.

Scorpio

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
My first helmet was an arai, LOVE IT.
my friend DAVID ALDANA turned me onto them after lowsiding and getting run over, still had the tread marks on the side when he gave it to me.....best mantle piece ever!!!
I ride with an EXO 700 and it seems to be less sturdy then the other (not crashed in) arai he got me, that is, I have taken a good nick out of my scorpion with my knife clip (carrying my helmet knife in rt front pocket with clip exposed) whereas it didnt even dig into the arai.

that and the arai is soooooo comfy, doesnt even whistle until 130 :rockon:

LCR

Reaction score
Visit site
Shoei/Arai the top two brands. they have completely different shapes, only the Arai Quantum II has the same shape as the Shoei RF/X series. So if a Shoei fits an Arai SHOULD NOT and vis versa.

All helmets must meet a minimum standard but some go above that standard.

Oh and the features are sometime nice too.

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a Bieffe helmet that I faceplanted in. I used that as a conversation piece to all my bandana harley riding friends! Do your research and find the helmet that best fits your head. That is the most important part of a helmet! Just hope you never have to worry about using it! ATTGAT!