What is the best mileage you have gotten?

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm rarely conscious about getting good mileage, but I did a test the other day to see what my bike was capable of. I have the 17T sprocket in the front which definitely helps.

Anyway, 50-60 MPH on the highway, keeping the throttle as constant as possible, with one or two red lights along the way. I filled the bike up until the fuel level would not go under the ring inside the gas cap with me rocking the bike back and forth. Did the same when I got off the highway.

I got 58.5 MPG!

Very pleased with that number. The way I usually drive, I get between 40 and 50 MPG.

So post up your best measured mileage figures!

Last edited:
51.4 back in October. And that was more than 90% Highway.

Having no O2 sensor makes the engine run rich at all times, which I think explains the low mpg.

62 mpg using Cali rider's method of going "very quickly" through the twisties using only 6th gear... :rockon:

My best is 56 MPG, but that only happened once (mostly highway). I averaged around 48-49 until I changed to a 15T front sprocket. With that I was getting around 45 MPG. I changed back to the 16T but my mileage dropped again to around 42 MPG?!WTF?!

CincoBoy: I'm not positive, but I believe the 04-06 have no O2 sensor, but the 07-09 models do. I remember looking at wiring diagrams a couple years ago when I noticed this.

Whole day in the twisties from Montrose CO back to Colorado Springs CO yielded 67 MPG. I still have no idea how... I was in 3rd-4th gear most of the day...

Whole day in the twisties from Montrose CO back to Colorado Springs CO yielded 67 MPG. I still have no idea how... I was in 3rd-4th gear most of the day...

I've said it before but these bikes like to stay up a little higher in the rpms and that's most likely why you saw such good mileage. The engine doesn't have to work as hard when it spins a little faster ad therefore gets better mpg!

I've said it before but these bikes like to stay up a little higher in the rpms and that's most likely why you saw such good mileage. The engine doesn't have to work as hard when it spins a little faster ad therefore gets better mpg!

And more fun! Don't forget the more fun part... :thumbup:

Best this year (first year I've ridden) was 55mpg. Going to do a better test next year between 87 octane that's blended with up to 10% ethanol (which is everywhere) and 91 octane w/o ethanol. From the few times I switched back and forth between the two the past summer, I couldn't tell a difference in performance or mileage.

I got 57 mpg using 91 octane, mostly city driving commuting to/from work. Not really stop and go traffic, but moving along at 35 ~ 45 speed limit.

I've been keeping track of fuel usage since new.
3 years and 18k+ miles.

low - 35.08
high - 64.92
avg - 52.37

116 tanks of regular gas (350 gallons).

worth mentioning....the FZ on a normal saturday ride to the hills actually burns less than my ninjette. Rode to Boston @ 90...219 miles to the fumes, did the same ride on the ninjette....210

Only had mine for 9,000 miles. Average was 45.2 and best was 60.8. I tracked my mileage using fuelly online, 72 fillups, and distance was using a GPS.

Speedo and odometer were not correct according to GPS but when I put in the 17 tooth front sprocket the speedo was spot on. Stock these bikes are optimistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also everyone note that the odometer is only accurate with the stock sprocket. If you have a +1 or -1 front sprocket, you need to multiply your recorded odometer reading by 1.07 or .93, respectively, to get an accurate MPG calculation.

on a long journey I got 160 miles which includes going 15miles into the reserve.
As it took 17.3 litres to fill it up from there, I reckon I got 42mpg.
Which seems bad but is lot better than usual :BLAA: :BLAA:

Back